Search the forum,

Discuss Review: Irwin Mini Hacksaw 24Tpi 12" (250mm) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keefy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Absolute garbage. Bought it yesterday from Plumbfix, took it out the bag just now (the bag it came in, not my tool bag - haven't even used it) to adjust the blade and it fell to bits. Expected better from a name like Irwin.

Irwin_Mini_Hacksaw_Broke 001.jpg

:mad: Got it especially for a job I'm doing today, back to the old hacksaw blade in hand trick I suppose until I can get my money back and find a more robust one.

Last edited:
I had a hacksaw I got from BT as an apprentice in the mid 80's. Every cut was spot on and dead straight and square. The end pin for the blade finally gave up the ghost last year.

I've had 3 saw's since, all from different manufacturers - including Irwin - and all of them the blade sits off at an angle. And every bloody cut goes off at a tangent!

Now I know it's not me, the punishment as an apprentice was cutting a section of 2" solid round bar, and you had to cut it square at the end, it would be checked with a square and if it was even slightly off you had to start again.

I cut a lot of bar because I was a gobby wee git back then!

You had that since the 80's Croppie? I know what you mean with them going off on a tangent, is it impossible for these blade manufacturers to make them less bendy?

Really really not happy with this Irwin hacksaw body breaking, as I said I needed it for a job today but after reading the Screfix reviews I'm glad it broke because apparently the nut which is squeezed against the blade easily wears and allows [the blade] to slip and slide all over the place and would have drove me nuts. It's a very shoddy product to say the least.

I've got this one. Its not great, I have to tighten up the screw with a small pair of grip to clamp the blade firmly. Bit of a flawed design really as the blade will kink if it catches whilst sawing.

I've got this one. Its not great, I have to tighten up the screw with a small pair of grip to clamp the blade firmly. Bit of a flawed design really as the blade will kink if it catches whilst sawing.

I was looking at it just now and thought a couple of holes in the blade might be the answer, you know, for the screw to go through, but I can't see them making those. I liked the initial feel of it because it had an all metal body but you know the rest.

It's going back in the morning, anyone know if I can get a refund from any Plumfix/Screwfix or will I have to go the one I bought it from?

Aye, it's still in the shed because I can't bear to part with it! Kept spare blades in the frame and everything!

I'm just a soppy old hector!
Sell it to me.

If anyone can recommend a good solid one I'd be most greatful. I'm becoming weary of these so-called top brands lately, definitely not how they used to be. Most if not all are living off the good name they once had.

Hands up all of us out there that can't believe Croppie ever was or has been a gobby (leave my thread alone you hairy hermit:)) git and small in stature?:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'm telling porkies:)

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone can recommend a good solid one I'd be most greatful. I'm becoming weary of these so-called top brands lately, definitely not how they used to be. Most if not all are living off the good name they once had.

Nothing is built to last anymore bud, that is what the old timers keep saying anyway!

I've got that saw keefy. Mine is still intact but the blade doesn't last long in it. I use it for sawing the rotted screws off the back off a cistern when I'm not allowed to smash it!

It is a proper poor quality tool but that's how things are manufactured these days. Hasn't irwin bought out a load of company's. i heard they own spear and Jackson aswel.

Nothing is built to last anymore bud, that is what the old timers keep saying anyway!

I believe them. My dad still has half of his original joinery tools, wooden planes, ancient bit and braces, Roman era plumbline... joiners pencil...

I was hoping for a better response than that from one so experienced:)

Eeeeeeeeeeeeee stop hijacking my thread with your bullying tactics or I'll report you to a UK Plumbers Forums staff member.

Anyone who buys a hacksaw with half a frame deserves to have his thread hijacked, whats insulating tape for if you dont make a handle on your hacksaw out of it,or just use a lickle minihacksaw to get in to tight corners :) Otherwise nice thread and croppies not afraid of anyone, he doesnt even check under his bed at night for monsters:)

I AM the monster under the bed!

Mwuhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

stop hijacking the thread scaryman:) (I have to say there is a real resemblance between Cropie and the monster found in the book Monster bed:) )

stop hijacking the thread scaryman:) (I have to say there is a real resemblance between Cropie and the monster found in the book Monster bed:) )

Final warning! I have a hacksaw... erm a hacksaw blade!! :mad:

1. It's knackered.

2. No!

Can't be more knackered than my brand new Irwin hacksaw.

Anyway, anyone know of a fantabulously excellent - won't let me down mini (half a frame) hacksaw?

If you'd asked i would have told you to save your money. They are useless whoever makes them. I bought one when i was an apprentice used it once binned it then learned how to make something that works in this job.
Btw 24tpi is no use for fine cutting of copper you need 32.

Buy a junior hacksaw for ÂŁ1. Take the blade out and bend the front leg out a couple of inches then saw the leg just after the bend and cut a draft in it. Bend the back leg back a bit to suit a 6" blade. You need to bend it enough so the blade sits in really tight and it should be quite hard to fit a new one.
You will have something like this which will cut a pipe in a 1/2" space and won't fall to bits using it.

sawnoff.jpg

If you cut the front toe in line with the blade you can fit it in tighter spaces

Last edited by a moderator:
If you'd asked i would have told you to save your money. They are useless whoever makes them. I bought one when i was an apprentice used it once binned it then learned how to make something that works in this job.
Btw 24tpi is no use for fine cutting of copper you need 32.

Buy a junior hacksaw for ÂŁ1. Take the blade out and bend the front leg out a couple of inches then saw the leg just after the bend and cut a draft in it. Bend the back leg back a bit to suit a 6" blade. You need to bend it enough so the blade sits in really tight and it should be quite hard to fit a new one.
You will have something like this which will cut a pipe in a 1/2" space and won't fall to bits using it.

View attachment 13319
Seriously, that wouldn't work for what I needed it for, that's why I ended up 'trying' the old bare blade in hand trick. Had an absolute hell of a time. Threw my toys out the pram and told the customer I'd be back Monday. That's how much I needed a bare blade with a good grip.

If you are cutting any type of pipe up to 32mm and can get a 10mm gap that will cut it. Believe me.

If you are cutting any type of pipe up to 32mm and can get a 10mm gap that will cut it. Believe me.

Excellent advice but I'm trying to meticulously cut a cupboard backboard while performing a world record breaking contortionist display under a badly designed kitchen unit. I've had a seriously bad day, I just want to know where I can get a decent mini hacksaw where the blade protrudes out and can be adjusted to a length that suits me.

Use a stanley.
Run it down tight on one side and cut off the 5mm that goes in the rebate and if it is rebated into a top rail cut that too and if rebated into the bottom cut that. Then knock the back out to break it off the staples or screws that are holding the bottom on (if it is rebated you have cut it) then lift it out.
Do what you need to do then screw 2 fillets onto the sides then another fillet jambed tight on the bottom. Trim the back board to suit then refit it held with a couple of screws (use screw caps if it turns you on). A smear of white silicon around will fill any bad cuts.

Simples.

Hammer.

Then blame the custard for employing stupid kitchen fitters in the first place!

I spent more time dismantling and rebuilding a cupboard built round a boiler today than I did replacing and settingup the gas valve.

And THEN I had to drive on to Londonderry to take the keys back and get paperwork signed!

Beertime!

Hammer.

Then blame the custard for employing stupid kitchen fitters in the first place!

I spent more time dismantling and rebuilding a cupboard built round a boiler today than I did replacing and settingup the gas valve.

And THEN I had to drive on to Londonderry to take the keys back and get paperwork signed!

Beertime!

I didn't get to do ANY plumbing today, that's what a ball-ache it was.

i tend to smash the backs out of cupboards rather than cut round stuff the put a false back up with a couple of batten either side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Review: Irwin Mini Hacksaw 24Tpi 12" (250mm) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock