Search the forum,

Discuss Revamping bathroom and ensuite in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

duffsparky

Hi from a newbie,

Apologies for the long post but I'm never sure how much info readers want, anyway here goes.

I've decided to get on and revamp our bathroom and en-suite while I'm waiting for my trade to pick up (electrician).

Attached is Bathroom.zip which contains 2 pdf files:-

i) Visio-Waste plan 2.pdf has 3 drawings on one sheet, 1 of the existing layout and 2 of the new layout.

ii) Visio-Joist strengthening has details of strengthening the joists as detailed in c) below.

For clarity I've not shown any doors or windows and kept the item naming to a minimum.

Basically I want to extend the bathroom into the en-suite area and extend what's left of the en-suite area to encompass a wasted bedroom area (see drawings 1 and 2). To do this I'll knock down the walls from points A to G and C to E (already done) and build new walls from points B to F and C to D(almost done).

I don't like to see pipes, or cables for that matter, running on the surface or 'boxed in' so my intention is to run all pipework under the floor or within a new wall and install access points where possible.

If and when I can afford it I want to install concealed cisterns and will build the new wall, points B to F, between the bathroom and en-suite to accomodate these; plus if I make the wall wide enough I can route the toilet wastes and stack/vent pipe through it and maybe have a couple of concealed cupboards as well.

I hope to:-

a) Move the first floor stack/vent pipe from point G to point F and run a new section of 110mm waste between them. I should be able to get the minmum 2 degree fall in the floor void.
At points G and F I'll use 110mm 4 port plus 40/50mm port unions and cap-off any spare ports for rodding access.

b) Relocate the dry stack exit point through the roof and repair the old exit point.

c) Couple the 2 floor standing shower trays, using 50mm waste and join them together under the floor beneath the bath, with a 50 x 50 x 50 tee and then run another 50mm waste through the floor joist between points A to G, straight into the stack at point G or possibly into the new horizontal section of 110mm waste between points G to F, whichever is best. The joists between points A to G start and stop on the wall below these points, those from the existing en-suite extend beyond the wall A to G into the bathroom area by about 350mm, guess someone bought joists that were too long; anyway I'm hoping to strengthen the bathroom joists by bolting them to the timber extending through from the en-suite. I know the joists, being double thickness, will be a pain to drill but I'm up for it and I think I can feed the pipe in, from the stairs and landing. Alternatively I'll bop a hole through the outside wall to give access. I'll have to check with local building control if my idea to strengthen the joists is acceptable (see drawing - Visio-Joist strengthening)

d) Couple the bath and ensuite basin using 32mm waste and join them together, under the floor beneath the bath, with a 32 x 32 x 32 tee and then run another 32mm waste straight into the 110mm union at point F or possibly into the new horizontal section of 110mm waste between points F to A whichever is best.

e) Couple the alternative ensuite basin, if fitted, using 32mm waste run under the floor straight into the into the 110mm multi-port union at point F.

f) Couple the bathroom basin, using 32mm waste, straight into the 110mm multi-port union at point A or possibly into the new horizontal section of 110mm waste between points A to F whichever is best.

I hope the drawings are clear enough and I haven't drivelled on to much, but if someone could have a look over my proposal and tell me where/if it's wrong and/or suggest any improvements I'd be really grateful.

Cheers,

duffsparky.

Attachments

• Bathroom.zip
    44.3 KB · Views: 43
Hi. The more you understand plumbing the harder it gets. The system you have designed will allow the discharge of water from appliances. It will also be prone to self syphonage , induced syphonage ( noises and odours) and blockages. Single stack systems which are the modern norm for domestic soil and waste, have been designed to be used following code of practice, which include max waste lengths, falls and pipe sizes. You will not be the first to install in this manner. As with architecs and the pressure to achieve maximum living area. Service ducts/cupboards to accommodate the building services and positioning of appliances get left out, which generally compomise the installations. When you common waste pipes and introduce vertical wastes (one pipe system) it was general to vent each trap and increase the size of the common waste, and introduce rodding access at changes of direction. I would think carefully, as it seem the type of installation with ply and tiled floors, if over the next say 30 years there is a problem its much better to design it out at this stage. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Revamping bathroom and ensuite in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock