Search the forum,

Discuss Retrofit wet UFH advice required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, first post here so excuse me if i break any etiquette on this forum. I have been a plumber for over 15 years.

I've just bought my first house, its a 2 bed semi detached ex council house. I've completed major renovations in the upstairs of the propery and now about to start downstairs.

I'm toying with the idea of installing a wet UFH system to thr downstairs only. The area to be heated is around 50m2 and currently has 2 radiators and programable thermostat in the LR. The floor is solid concrete floor.

My main concerns as i have never installed UFH heating before so I'm not sure on a few issues.

1. Cost? How much will it roughly cost in material to complete this job. Is it worth it in terms of adding value to your house.

2. Researching the basics i understand i would remove all flooring to the bare concrete base. Install DPM. Install Kingspam. Install my heating loop on top back to a manifold at the boiler. Then pour concrete sreed over the top. Is this the nuts and bolts of it? How much of a build up is common?

3. Controls. Combi Boiler is in Kitchen where i would connect with motorised valve to control. How would the thermostat in living room which i currently control all radiators work with 2 zone system. Would i have to install a new programable thermostat upstairs? I have just re plastered and decorated which would be a killer? How would i control the UFH zone?

4. Do i save myself the hassle and just fit 2 anthracite collum radiators like ive done upstairs and save up for a wood burning stove haha.

Thanks for reading and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Ryoo

personally taste tbh

easiest and cheapest is 2 new rads sized correctly

if you want ufh its alot of work

i normally say around 60-75 m2 ish rough

Jesus! 2 new rads it is! Which part is the most expensive out of interest. I work on a building site so lots of materials have legs of their own

pipe and manifold and if your going retro the boards / panels

spreads want a wack aswell

Jesus! 2 new rads it is!

Smart decision. UFH would be expensive to install and, although it creates a nice comfortable environment, it is not cheap to run as you have to keep the temperature fairly constant.

I work on a building site so lots of materials have legs of their own

You started well so don't suddenly turn into an idiot. Will you be able to afford your mortgage if you get caught and fired for theft? What'll be your next move then? Nicking tools from co-workers vans and selling them in the pub?

Point taken! If you've never worked on a building site you wouldn't believe what ends up in the skip though. Thanks

Nothing delays a project more and adds costs to the building company then having a programme delayed due to missing materials, ask if you want some materials, the Site Agent will in all probability give them to you, if the request is not excessive, even if excessive they can probably add your request to their next order and you can take advantage of their trade discount, which will be better than normal, When materials are asked for and given, they know what they have on site and can programme accordingly.

As an aside, one of the site's I was involved with the scrhuwts stole the burglar alarm.

Reply to Retrofit wet UFH advice required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock