Search the forum,

Discuss Retraining as a Gas Safe Engineer in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Everyone,

I am considering retraining as a gas safe engineer through enrolling on a course that includes 5 weeks of classroom learning, arranged work placement to complete an onsite portfolio and ACS assessments. The course will cost £6k.

I'm 34, currently employed full time as a mechanical engineer but would enjoy the shift away from working in an office. I'm fairly handy with tools, active and enjoy DIY. I would be able to fit the course / portfolio work around my existing job through a combination of using up holiday allowance and working evenings & weekends. I'm anticipating it would take around a year to become a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Would welcome any reality checks on whether this is a good career move and questions to make sure I don't have any unrealistic expectations.

Thanks in advance.

trust me 5 weeks of class room will only get you basic knowledge, you pick up more when working with some one on the job, its not all that simple, ask others they will tell you the same, BUT, good luck to you and i hope you make a go of it.

trust me 5 weeks of class room will only get you basic knowledge, you pick up more when working with some one on the job, its not all that simple, ask others they will tell you the same, BUT, good luck to you and i hope you make a go of it.
I can appreciate that, I will be looking to get experience both through the portfolio work but also trying to make contacts and offer to work with tradesmen where there is an opportunity to do so.

There's homework to do outside the classes to catch up on the paperwork side of things so the coursework would be more extensive. I'm accustomed to reading codes and standards, dealing with engineering drawings etc. so the academic side would be less of a concern.

Experience has already shown me that you can't learn everything from a computer screen.

Make sure you have organised work with someone for your portfolio / experience before you start the course.
That would be organised through the training centre, it's included as part of the cost and I don't currently have the sort of contacts who could arrange for me to do portfolio work as part of their business.

As many as 5 weeks, wow that’s I bit insulting to the gas guys.
I think the courses are structured so that people like myself fitting the studies around a full time job are expected to do the reading work between sessions in the training centre. It would be equivalent to around 8 weeks in the classroom on a full time study course.

That would be organised through the training centre, it's included as part of the cost and I don't currently have the sort of contacts who could arrange for me to do portfolio work as part of their business.
To me, this seems almost too good to be true. Read the small print of what the training centre is offering very carefully.

To me, this seems almost too good to be true. Read the small print of what the training centre is offering very carefully.
I've done as much research as I can online, had a shortlist of 4 training centres within a reasonable distance, prices were similar for the 3 that could provide portfolio work as part of the service and it should come to around 100 hours work in this part of the training. Maybe a little more or less depending on how the speed I work. Presumably they will have a list of jobs that are expected to be done to satisfy the requirements for this.

I will be reading the small print carefully.

I would want to speak to the person or company you will be placed with before paying the money.
Will it be one on one with you being walked through the process or will 10 guys be stood in a room watching someone service a boiler.
You also have to think about how you will get a job doing gas work once you have qualified by the fast track route.

I would want to speak to the person or company you will be placed with before paying the money.
Will it be one on one with you being walked through the process or will 10 guys be stood in a room watching someone service a boiler.
You also have to think about how you will get a job doing gas work once you have qualified by the fast track route.
Class room work is capped at 6 students, portfolio work would be one on one.

Current plan is to start working in my spare time with tradesmen so I can understand the business. Current contacts are builders, electricians, a kitchen fitter and one gas engineer. If I offer to do some unpaid work and am happy to do the more basic jobs and not be a burden I figure that's the best approach.

Long term, it contributes to making contacts and I'd look to be capable of securing a job working for another gas engineer on the provision I pass all my exams.

One question: Do most gas engineers train up as apprentices or is it common for people to change careers later in life?

Plumbing/gas was my first 'career' altho I was late to it and had some fairly successful jobs before.
With your course setup I think your biggest concern should be what to do after the course.
It's not usually easy to get imployment straight from training and altho your course will show you how everything works it likely won't give you the knowledge you need to strive if you 'go it alone'.
I feel some people expect to do a course and earn 40k+ but they're really not worth that, I might pay a new entrant 20k - and i'd want them to be greatfull for the opportunity! (20k and the right attitude could turn into 40 real quick)

Plumbing/gas was my first 'career' altho I was late to it and had some fairly successful jobs before.
With your course setup I think your biggest concern should be what to do after the course.
It's not usually easy to get imployment straight from training and altho your course will show you how everything works it likely won't give you the knowledge you need to strive if you 'go it alone'.
I feel some people expect to do a course and earn 40k+ but they're really not worth that, I might pay a new entrant 20k - and i'd want them to be greatfull for the opportunity! (20k and the right attitude could turn into 40 real quick)
I wouldn't aim to 'go it alone' for the first couple of years. I wouldn't have the all round experience of working on different models of boiler and appliances or dealing with many of the other skills that comes with experience.
I might have to consider transitioning my career be working part time. 20k wouldn't be enough for me and having a look through job listings this afternoon showed that most companies wanted a year or two experience for a decent salary and maybe further qualifications beyond CCN1, CKR1, HTR1. CPA1 and CENWAT as offered by most courses.
What would make the difference between earning say 20k, 30k and 40k?

It is a very difficult trade to become competent in. You need to be a decent plumber/heating engineer, strong knowledge of domestic electrics, have decent general construction knowledge and also have excellent customer skills.
If you want to make decent money you will need to be a real asset for an employer or go self employed and be similarly qualified to complete anything put in front of you.
I take on lads doing their portfolios ranging from 20 to 55 years. Most have no real ideal of the complete job and although qualify at the end they find it extremely difficult to get work. Mostly it is due to a lack of experience.
You will find it difficult to become competent on a part time basis, really you need a couple of years working day in day out with someone decent before you would be able to work comfortably on your own.
Apologies for being negative but I see a lot of lads sold the dream by the training companies and it is a very different picture 8 weeks in.
However I did a change of career over 10 years ago, now have a successful business with a couple of lads working for me. So it is possible and I wish you every success whatever decision you make.

It is a very difficult trade to become competent in. You need to be a decent plumber/heating engineer, strong knowledge of domestic electrics, have decent general construction knowledge and also have excellent customer skills.
If you want to make decent money you will need to be a real asset for an employer or go self employed and be similarly qualified to complete anything put in front of you.
I take on lads doing their portfolios ranging from 20 to 55 years. Most have no real ideal of the complete job and although qualify at the end they find it extremely difficult to get work. Mostly it is due to a lack of experience.
You will find it difficult to become competent on a part time basis, really you need a couple of years working day in day out with someone decent before you would be able to work comfortably on your own.
Apologies for being negative but I see a lot of lads sold the dream by the training companies and it is a very different picture 8 weeks in.
However I did a change of career over 10 years ago, now have a successful business with a couple of lads working for me. So it is possible and I wish you every success whatever decision you make.
I have a fair general construction knowledge from doing building work on my own home including refitting the kitchen, plastering work, plenty of woodwork in my spare time, occasional work on friend's properties etc but that would never be a substitute for the commercial pressure of working full-time to deadlines and taking on all the required skills needed. Also capable of understanding the electrical side of things. The customer skills would be quite a big change from working the office job though.

Glad to hear of someone making the change of career successfully though, it's brightened up my day ;)

I'm not sure how much I was sold the dream by a training company, it appeared to be a fair challenge from the outset and I suppose the point of starting the thread was to ensure I wasn't being naive before I bite off more than I can chew.

I have a fair general construction knowledge from doing building work on my own home including refitting the kitchen, plastering work, plenty of woodwork in my spare time, occasional work on friend's properties etc but that would never be a substitute for the commercial pressure of working full-time to deadlines and taking on all the required skills needed. Also capable of understanding the electrical side of things. The customer skills would be quite a big change from working the office job though.

Glad to hear of someone making the change of career successfully though, it's brightened up my day ;)

I'm not sure how much I was sold the dream by a training company, it appeared to be a fair challenge from the outset and I suppose the point of starting the thread was to ensure I wasn't being naive before I bite off more than I can chew.
Apologies if my reply came across as derogatory or questioning your abilities, I didn't mean it that way.
It is definitely possible to do, one of my lads is also someone who did their portfolio with me. He had no prior trade but had an excellent work ethic, punctual, great with customers and eager to understand everything we did and how everything worked.
It is absolutely possible to do, just not for the faint hearted. Also don't underestimate the wear and tear on your body, make sure you are in good health as if you are coming from a desk job it can be a real cultural shock up and down all day long, definitely get knee pads, ha.

Apologies if my reply came across as derogatory or questioning your abilities, I didn't mean it that way.
It is definitely possible to do, one of my lads is also someone who did their portfolio with me. He had no prior trade but had an excellent work ethic, punctual, great with customers and eager to understand everything we did and how everything worked.
It is absolutely possible to do, just not for the faint hearted. Also don't underestimate the wear and tear on your body, make sure you are in good health as if you are coming from a desk job it can be a real cultural shock up and down all day long, definitely get knee pads, ha.
I didn't take it as derogatory so don't worry about that.

I'm in good health but I expect that being on the go all day would give me a lot more exercise and take a few weeks to adjust to.

Your 'tradey' experience will stand you well in domestic work.
I'm a gas man but also need to be a plumber, electrician, carpenter, plasterer and carpet fitter.
If self employed add book-keeping, scheduling, marketing, sales and dealing with all kinds of lovely customers.
To earn 40k either as sole trader or employee then expect to be doing more than 40h.
I would expect you'd be around 30k basic + benefits after 2 to 3 years and with a good head for the work.

I did the opposite, i was a gas engineer for ten years when i got it in my head that i wanted off the tools. So I did a masters in building surveying, then a year in industry to get my accreditation.
The result, I'm a chartered building surveyor, but lots of regrets and I miss being a gas engineer.

This is the first time i've been on this forum for sometime, the reason being, i'm taking my domestic gas next week, putting my toe back in.

Good luck to you Bradwell, 5 weeks isnt much, but its a way in, and if your continually learning and up to the challenge, youll get there. My advise as a newbie, when youre on the job, never guess and never cut corners

I did the opposite, i was a gas engineer for ten years when i got it in my head that i wanted off the tools. So I did a masters in building surveying, then a year in industry to get my accreditation.
The result, I'm a chartered building surveyor, but lots of regrets and I miss being a gas engineer.

This is the first time i've been on this forum for sometime, the reason being, i'm taking my domestic gas next week, putting my toe back in.

Good luck to you Bradwell, 5 weeks isnt much, but its a way in, and if your continually learning and up to the challenge, youll get there. My advise as a newbie, when youre on the job, never guess and never cut corners
I think I was put on the track to chartership too early in my career and dropped out. Added to that, I've only done a bachelors degree and it's never been a viable option to do another year or two of study to get a masters, it seems to be a requirement for chartership but I never thought it would be worth the expenditure and stress.

Much of my frustration is with office staff that have never picked up tools and think they can control the world from a computer screen.

There's other things drawing me towards becoming a gas safe registered engineer, but any opportunity to escape office life has a lot of appeal.

I think I was put on the track to chartership too early in my career and dropped out. Added to that, I've only done a bachelors degree and it's never been a viable option to do another year or two of study to get a masters, it seems to be a requirement for chartership but I never thought it would be worth the expenditure and stress.

Much of my frustration is with office staff that have never picked up tools and think they can control the world from a computer screen.

There's other things drawing me towards becoming a gas safe registered engineer, but any opportunity to escape office life has a lot of appeal.
Yes, it's difficult to get people who don't have a degree to take you on when they find out you have a degree. If you haven't been to university, I suppose it can feel like a graduate won't be able to learn a trade (though I think it's fair to say graduates are likely to be a nuisance to some people in that 'because I told you that's how it works' isn't a proper explanation to someone who has an academic background). Sounds like I had a similar office job a few years ago, so I get you.

Please do let me know how you get on. I'm considering doing something similar because I'm fed up with having customers wanting something relatively straightforward such as a boiler service and having to tell them there is not a gas-safe registered person I would actually be able to recommend. In fact I don't actually even have my own boiler serviced because there is no one I feel I can trust to do it and all they do is run a wire brush around it anyway.

There was someone I used to recommend, but after he did a boiler change for a friend of mine and I saw his "standard" of workmanship in detail, I no longer bother.

Reply to Retraining as a Gas Safe Engineer in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock