Search the forum,

Discuss retired plumber wondering about work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I retired from plumbing about 18 months ago but i'm bored and could do with a bit of extra cash.I live in London,I no longer have a van but i can travel for nothing on buses and tubes etc.I got myself an old codgers shopping trolley that i can put my tools in.I only want straightforward easy jobs. I used to be Gas Safe registered but not now.I have 40 years experience but my main problem is if my knees are up to doing the job.It maybe sounds a bit improbable but doing a few jobs a week like fixing toilets, changing taps etc would really help me out financially even if i give cheap prices.
Any opinions on this?

With out meaning to sound harsh.

Either do it properly or don't do it at all. The market is saturated with people doing jobs cheap or for cash.

Enjoy your retirement it looks fairly doubtful I will make it to retirement as at the moment that's 70 but will probably go up in the next 34 years.

I don't see myself fully retiring.

I see it more of cherry picking for beer tokens.

If you are going to do it then don't take work away from the guys with a family to support so charge the going rate and renew your insurance.
Personally don't see how you are going to "Pop out" for parts on public transport.

John , its your life mate , do what you feel fit .
I would just say two words , insurance and income tax

Think you know what I mean

John , its your life mate , do what you feel fit .
I would just say two words , insurance and income tax

Think you know what I mean
To be honest i forgot about the insurance, which could be catastrophic knowing the damage that water can cause if things go wrong.Tax is not really an issue because the amount i would be hoping to earn would be well under the tax threshold, say £100 a week at most.
This has all came up because someone gave me £30 to fix a broken tap and i thought that if i got that three times a week, it would be a fortune for me, but public liability insurance would probably cost £20 a week.This is why i'm glad i posted this threads hadn't considered insurance at all.I may see if there are any other easy jobs for old codgers.

Why not help other installers for a day rate and work the hours you want.
I've not had a boss for over 30 years and hate feeling tied down by someone else.I helped do a painting job before i retired and hated every minute on this two week job where i had to do as i was told, even though the money was good.I'm not strong enough now to do a lot of the donkey work that goes with plumbing so few plumbers would want to employ me anyway.

Teaching plumbing? Get a part time job in a merchant and organise small jobs and collect parts when at work? Total rubbish that financially you need to consider working on in retirement. What hope do us with another 30 years left have?

Total rubbish? Wait until you are retired and you will find out what it is like to live on a state pension.
That's what I mean. We should be looking after our own first, not leaving them in poverty so they need to carry on working just to pay bills and keep a roof over their head. Plenty living the easy life on benefits and the workers are left to pay the bill and get sod all at the end for all the hard work they put in.

I think that's what he was getting at. I can see by the time I get there it won't be anything.
I took the quote personally,sorry for that.I can exist ok on my state pension,i'm not really complaining, it would just be nice to get a few quid for extras.Its my fault,I always squandered the money i had and made no provision for retirement.

Any opinions on this?

I've known a couple of people who got bored in retirement and started doing a bit of light gardening for a couple of days a week. Just simple maintenance, like cutting the lawn, mainly for elderly widows. (They provide and store the tools so you don't need a van.) It's an occupation where having grey hairs and enjoying a chat over a mug of tea are both advantages.

Still need to watch your knees and back, though.

Why do think all companies now have to give their employees some kind of pension?
I don't even get a state pension

Why do think all companies now have to give their employees some kind of pension?
In 30 years I won't even get a state pension

In 30 years I won't even get a state pension

The old boy that taught me used to listen to jeremy vine and moaned like hell about it, the one day it was about pensions I said I couldn't care less I'm going for a ciggie I can remember him saying you should care by the time you come to claim a pension there won't be one and you will have to work longer. So far he is right.

I have all sympathy for the elderly today because yes they were promised a state pension the problem is government's spent that money now the next generations will be paying for this then what happens when they get older? Chances are most trades won't make it to pension age of 70 with health so why should I pay for the last generation.

I retired from plumbing about 18 months ago but i'm bored and could do with a bit of extra cash.I live in London,I no longer have a van but i can travel for nothing on buses and tubes etc.I got myself an old codgers shopping trolley that i can put my tools in.I only want straightforward easy jobs. I used to be Gas Safe registered but not now.I have 40 years experience but my main problem is if my knees are up to doing the job.It maybe sounds a bit improbable but doing a few jobs a week like fixing toilets, changing taps etc would really help me out financially even if i give cheap prices.
Any opinions on this?
How about trying hotel maintenance, would keep your brain ticking.

Any opinions on this?
Hi John,
Would you be able to put in a mini split and charge it. I have two guys that would do the work all they need is supervision
Thx for your time Roger

Reply to retired plumber wondering about work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock