Search the forum,

Discuss Rerouting of condensate pipe from condensing combi boiler - any advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MelB

Hi Guys - a couple of years ago we had a new condensing combi boiler installed in our 1970s house, which originally would have had warm air heating, to replace an old free standing gas boiler. The combi is fitted in what was the cupboard for the warm air heating unit in the hallway and is effectively in the middle of the house.

After some discussion with the experienced plumber it was agreed that unfortunately only solution for the 10mm flexible clear plastic condensate pipe from the pump was up through the void what would have been the ducting above the warm air unit to the first floor. Then up into the loft where it was attached to a 22mm pipe pinned to a timber batten for support and with the appropriate fall to the soffit and out though the soffit directly into an attached 38mm plastic pipe on the external wall and down into the rainwater downpipe.

Although the pipe is well insulated in the loft with loft insulation - this torturous route has always made me nervous.

We have now decided to have our bathroom totally renewed including completely tiling the floor on plywood (removing the original floorboards).

Presumably given the above, a better solution would be at first floor level to run the flexible clear plastic condensate pipe from the pump across the landing into a 22mm plastic pipe through the joists with the appropriate fall and into the bathroom to terminate into the plastic soil stack in the corner.

Any tips or comments gratefully received - Many thanks.

If you can route it inside to an internal waste, this would definitely be better than the current route IMO

MelB you are right in your assumptions this is a better option if you can do it. however you need to remember any issues in future you will have no access.

Thanks for your replies TB Services and michael c. I take the point about no access which does give me some cause for concern potentially but my understanding is that it is now quite common for first floor tiling to remove the floorboards and provide a "perfectly flat" surface for installing the tiles. In the case of a future leak into the kitchen for example I believe that it would be easier to tackle this through the roof of the kitchen. It's something I'm trying not to think about!!

i'll tell you what you want, what you really really want...forethought is the best route!

zigazig r

xx

Last edited by a moderator:
knew someone would redsaw haha. The likely hood of a leak on a condensate of this nature would be slim but just wanted to make sure it was a consideration for you :)

Run the flexible pipe as far as possible, sleeving it inside the overflow pipe for further protection.

It'll reduce the risk of leaks, due to less fittings being used.

aslong as the fittings used under the floor are glued and supported correctly they will be no issues with future problems .

Bin the condensate pump and the flexible pipe if possible and run it in plastic 22mm overflow. There are thousands of new builds with inaccessible condensate pipes under floors. I've had a few block but normally disconnecting at the boiler end and blowing down it as hard as you can free's them up. Usually if they are connected near kitchen waste, grease etc.

if you wanna be my lover....

Bin the condensate pump and the flexible pipe if possible and run it in plastic 22mm overflow.

Thanks samboc - I know that plumbers can often perform miracles but how will the condensate get from the ground floor combi through the 22mm overflow pipe to the bathroom on the first floor without the pump? :stooge_curly:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rerouting of condensate pipe from condensing combi boiler - any advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock