Search the forum,

Discuss Require lid and insulation jacket for a cold water storage tank in loft in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have two 114 litre / 25 gallon cold water storage (header) tanks connected in series in my loft. They feed the cold water taps on my baths (including the showers) and the hot water cylinder. They are open top, rectangular tanks, but have insulation jackets with integral lids - that is, the lid comprises a sheet of stiff corrugated plastic with insulation material on top, all wrapped in black polythene.

A month ago, the polythene of the lid of one of these tanks decomposed and I had to remove the whole jacket. I was able to extract the corrugated plastic sheet from the jacket and I am currently using it temporarily as the lid of the tank. But with autumn and winter approaching, I need a more permanent solution for the lid. And, of course, the tank needs to be insulated again.

I found a lid that would probably fit my tank, the Kingspan Ferham RL25. However, my searches on the Internet did not yield any for sale. I wrote an email to Kingspan and was informed that the RL25 is now obsolete. In fact, my overall impression is that open top rectangular tanks and their accessories are no longer “in fashion”. Kingspan did suggest that that I phone some local plumbers’ merchants to determine whether any still have an RL25 on the shelf. I will do that, but I don’t have much hope of success.

Two queries:
  1. Does anyone know of any other lids for open top rectangular tanks that are still available?
  2. If I am not able to find a lid, what is the best substitute? A flat, rectangular sheet of plastic comes to mind.
I also need a jacket for the tank. The Kingspan Ferham TJ25R60 would probably have fit the bill but I suspect that is also now obsolete. Are jackets for 114 litre / 25 gallon rectangular tanks still available? If so, could someone please point me in the direction of one? Do plumbers’ merchants regularly stock them still?

I wonder if a sheet of, say 50mm, celotex cut to 2” margin all around would do both jobs in one?
Stiff enough and the foil face should be ok with the condensation?
Could bind the edge with 4” aluminium foil tape to make a better job if it?

I have two 114 litre / 25 gallon cold water storage (header) tanks connected in series in my loft. They feed the cold water taps on my baths (including the showers) and the hot water cylinder. They are open top, rectangular tanks, but have insulation jackets with integral lids - that is, the lid comprises a sheet of stiff corrugated plastic with insulation material on top, all wrapped in black polythene.

A month ago, the polythene of the lid of one of these tanks decomposed and I had to remove the whole jacket. I was able to extract the corrugated plastic sheet from the jacket and I am currently using it temporarily as the lid of the tank. But with autumn and winter approaching, I need a more permanent solution for the lid. And, of course, the tank needs to be insulated again.

I found a lid that would probably fit my tank, the Kingspan Ferham RL25. However, my searches on the Internet did not yield any for sale. I wrote an email to Kingspan and was informed that the RL25 is now obsolete. In fact, my overall impression is that open top rectangular tanks and their accessories are no longer “in fashion”. Kingspan did suggest that that I phone some local plumbers’ merchants to determine whether any still have an RL25 on the shelf. I will do that, but I don’t have much hope of success.

Two queries:
  1. Does anyone know of any other lids for open top rectangular tanks that are still available?
  2. If I am not able to find a lid, what is the best substitute? A flat, rectangular sheet of plastic comes to mind.
I also need a jacket for the tank. The Kingspan Ferham TJ25R60 would probably have fit the bill but I suspect that is also now obsolete. Are jackets for 114 litre / 25 gallon rectangular tanks still available? If so, could someone please point me in the direction of one? Do plumbers’ merchants regularly stock them still?
Here you go Toolstation have em 😉 . Cheers kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200902-203003.png
    Screenshot_20200902-203003.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 14
Here you go Toolstation have em 😉 . Cheers kop
Many thanks for the reply. I went to my local Toolstation branch only to discover that the photo for the product on their Web site is incorrect. The kit is actually for a 25 gallon OVAL tank!
[automerge]1601217507[/automerge]
Wolesely should have them in stock, picked one up in north london a couple of months ago.
Thank you for your reply. I went to two of my local Wolseley branches but neither had any lids or jackets for water storage tanks.
[automerge]1601218503[/automerge]
Just to close the loop.

I eventually tracked down a lid that might fit my 25 gallon rectangular cold water storage tank at Wickes in Guildford - 60 miles away from where I live. When I arrived there to inspect the lid, it turned out to be a Kingspan Ferham RL25! Well worth the journey therefore.

I also discovered that both B&Q and Wickes sell jackets for 25 gallon rectangular cold water storage tanks. I bought the one from Wickes.

Basically, therefore, I started by looking in the wrong places. I should have started in DIY stores rather than plumbers' merchants.

Last edited:
Any good? :

Reply to Require lid and insulation jacket for a cold water storage tank in loft in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock