Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing TRV on radiator, 15mm pipe to 22mm radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I’m trying to replace my TRV on my radiator but have found that my pipes are 15mm copper but the radiator has a 22mm radiator tail.
There isn’t enough space between the valve and the radiator/pipes to fit a compressor (which is what I think I need...)

the old broken valve looks like it goes from15mm and then to a Sort of “trumpet” shaped 22mm, if that makes sense, but I can’t find any premade 15–>22mm TRVs.

any advice?

Attachments

• 293C0C1D-C79A-4D99-B2F2-CF7B5BE55F40.jpeg
    293C0C1D-C79A-4D99-B2F2-CF7B5BE55F40.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
did a tail / a part with another nut on the end come with the new trv ?

as you would replace your existing rad tail with your new one

did a tail / a part with another nut on the end come with the new trv ?

as you would replace your existing rad tail with your new one

It did, and it was 15mm as well. We think the existing tail is painted to the radiator as we couldn’t get it loose, if it could be loosened at all....

I’m mostly curious as it looks like whoever put the original TRV on managed to find one that connects 15mm pipes to a 22mm radiator. Any ideas where I can find a new one?

it will come out so just need to try more force as there isnt a trv out there that connects to a 3/4 threaded nut only a lockshield

The radiator tail will be 1/2" threaded. It may possibly be 3/4" threaded. It won't be 15mm or 22mm as these metric dimension refer to the outside diameter of the copper tube, not the nominal thread size which is related to the nominal bore of steel pipe (and is still measured in inches, even in continental Europe).
The trumpet shaped thing probably has an internal hex that you put a large Allen key-type thing in to unscrew and then you'll probably find the radiator is internally tapped with a 1/2" BSP tapered thread compatible with pretty much all modern tails.

I'm pretty sure you can still get replacement heads for those old Giacomini TRV bodies, if the valve inself is still working, by the way.

The radiator tail will be 1/2" threaded. It may possibly be 3/4" threaded. It won't be 15mm or 22mm as these metric dimension refer to the outside diameter of the copper tube, not the nominal thread size which is related to the nominal bore of steel pipe (and is still measured in inches, even in continental Europe).
The trumpet shaped thing probably has an internal hex that you put a large Allen key-type thing in to unscrew and then you'll probably find the radiator is internally tapped with a 1/2" BSP tapered thread compatible with pretty much all modern tails.

I'm pretty sure you can still get replacement heads for those old Giacomini TRV bodies, if the valve inself is still working, by the way.
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

I think the whole valve is broken (I can get the top off but not the collar below).

can I ask a stupid question- how do you know if it’s 1/2 or 3/4” ?

Attachments

• 49D3C9DA-EF63-423F-96FE-972A28C3D601.jpeg
    49D3C9DA-EF63-423F-96FE-972A28C3D601.jpeg
    1,015.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2F01DCAC-FC4A-4848-860C-D9B28807BFAA.jpeg
    2F01DCAC-FC4A-4848-860C-D9B28807BFAA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
1/2 will measure around 20-21mm dia

The horizontal bit to the right of the large nut (painted white in your case) is what Shaun is referring to as being 20-21mm diameter. Which is probably roughly the same as the thread on your new one. In practice, the thickness of that section is likely to be ish. The critical dimension is the thread that will be mostly hidden inside the radiator, and my guess is it's a bog standard 1/2" British Standard Pipe even though that radiator is quite old.

I think you would cut that lower collar off to remove the head (technically I think you can lift it to release the claws), but only worth doing if plan A gets too complicated and your budget doesn't stretch to a plumber. I have a friend with a large number of Giacomini valves and seem to replace one every year and free off another mid-season. He's too tight to want me to change the lot in one go :)

Have a look on the internet for union TRVs. They are more expensive than ordinary TRVs, but should fit directly to the existing tail coming from your radiator. Alternatively, as suggested above, change the radiator tail.

Reply to Replacing TRV on radiator, 15mm pipe to 22mm radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hullo everyone its a while since I posted on here basically because i have had no plumbing issues however I have one now. My son recently moved into a house which has cellar within which is a radiator which is part of the central heating system. The rad looks old, rusty and horrible as does the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I need to replace a radiator in the kitchen, the 10mm copper has split so using this opertunaty to replace it with a towel one and also need to remove both valves and make the pipes shorter. Its a gravity fed system and the last radiator in the system , I have a bung kit, i know i can...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some advice. I am trying to replace the manual radiator valves on a towelrail with a TRV: I ordered a Myson 2TRV15SN, and the tail seems to be identical with the current setup, however I am not sure who to attach the copper pipe at the bottom. This doesn't seem like a standard...
Replies
Views
Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t look well piped , kinky in pipes in some places ,some of the rad don’t heat up too well , probably because of the badly piped system, the pipe is all...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock