Discuss Replacing toilet with waste pipe on side in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Reaction score
Im re-tiling the floor in my toilet and at the same time am replacing the toilet. The old toilet had the waste pipe come out from the side of the toilet and connected to the pipe that runs through the side wall of the toilet.

From what I can see, new toilets with the waste on the side are a lot more expensive (cheapest I’ve seen is £200). I think the pipe through the wall is too far from the back wall for a close coupled toilet to fit properly and I’ve been told that the 90 degree flexible pipes tend to get blocked a lot.

Do I have any alternatives or am I going to need to pay out for the expensive toilet with side waste pipe?

EDC37A7A-4404-495F-83C1-A36689281E1A.jpeg

uHeat Forum Sponsor - PlumbersForums.net
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Reaction score
Just but a pan with a HO ..horizantal outlet and fit a 90deg multikwick...put up a piccy to check I am right others will then comment...Rob Foster
aka centralheatking

A

Aire

It looks like you've got room to get 2 135° bends on that pipe to kick it back to the wall, then use a standard 90° pan connector.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, the gap between the pipe and the back wall is approx 170mm if that gives enough room?

2F968058-255C-4EC4-BB32-F6ED2525427A.jpeg

Reaction score
You could use a flexi ! wait for the up roar on UKPF I am done for after what I have posted about them ...but it might just dig you out of the mire in this case....Rob Foster aka centralheatking

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
What about a low level toilet ?

A

Aire

To be fair, I'm with Rob. Although not the best, a 90° flexi would do the job, it's not something you'd expect from a pro plumber but from a diy perspective they serve their purpose. They don't block up if installed correctly, they can split though and rats love to chew through them. So long as it's easily replaced so you can change it in future if you have an issues you'll be fine.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, just need to grout the tiles and will measure up and work out the best way around it!

OP
P
Reaction score
Just wondering whether one of these offset connectors (Hunter offset pan connector 100mm | Wolseley), together with a 90 degree pan connector, would work? 100mm may be too much but screwfix do a 40mm version so I could play about with it. Just worried that a long stretch of flexi is going to cause problems

Chalked

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Remove the bottom two tiles. It the soil pipe in the wall and fit two 135 degree offset bends.
Job done and will look tidy.
For the sake of a couple of tiles and a few hours work your room will look much better.

B

Burger

Just wondering whether one of these offset connectors (Hunter offset pan connector 100mm | Wolseley), together with a 90 degree pan connector, would work? 100mm may be too much but screwfix do a 40mm version so I could play about with it. Just worried that a long stretch of flexi is going to cause problems
You could, but you'd still need to sleeve it & think your offset might be bigger than that. You could opt for x2 offset bends or see how much one of these would give you https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-sp560-0-90-adjustable-bend-black-110mm/77224#product_additional_details_container

OP
P
Reaction score
Remove the bottom two tiles. It the soil pipe in the wall and fit two 135 degree offset bends.
Job done and will look tidy.
For the sake of a couple of tiles and a few hours work your room will look much better.
Assuming you mean the tiles on the wall, unfortunately they are original and no idea where to get new ones to match, I’m just re-tiling the floor. Typo makes it difficult to understand what needs doing with the soil pipe in the wall?

Harvest Fields

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
I’d be more concerned with the size of that radiator in respect to the size of the room:eek::eek::eek:

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
I wouldn't use that massive offset thingy horizontally (maybe vertically at a push) as it looks like it could block quite easily.

Just stud off the back wall to about 1m high, finishing off with a nice timber shelf?

OP
P
Reaction score
So I’ve got a couple of 135 degree bends (annoyingly didn’t do them in white so a can of paint to be added to the materials list!) and that reduces the distance to the wall by 80mm. I assume that I can cut down the white pipe that comes through the wall? If I can then I may be able to make use of a short 90 degree connector or 90 degree flexi to join them up

C27A2E61-8000-4AF9-8B1F-AE3540551151.jpeg

A

Aire

So I’ve got a couple of 135 degree bends (annoyingly didn’t do them in white so a can of paint to be added to the materials list!) and that reduces the distance to the wall by 80mm. I assume that I can cut down the white pipe that comes through the wall? If I can then I may be able to make use of a short 90 degree connector or 90 degree flexi to join them up

View attachment 39615
Yes you can cut the pipe down to move the bends further back and then a 90° or swan neck pan connector should get the job done.

B

Burger

Glad you got single socket/spigot offsetbends. :) You can get in white, but not usually stocked item.

Steve weightman

Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Have you considered a unit with a back to wall pan most units are 300mm deep so looking at it the waste will be inside

Last edited:

Reply to Replacing toilet with waste pipe on side in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Plumbing Advice - Find Plumbers Jobs
Test4Less PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Plumbase - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Power Shower Booster - Official PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
uHeat Forum Sponsor - PlumbersForums.net
Corgi Direct - Plumbers Forums Sponsor
Wetroom Store - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor

Test

Top Bottom