Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing the type of plug in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello. Total novice here.

We have a pop-up thumb plug (think that's the name, following a Google search - photo attached). It was here when we moved in (I personally would have chosen a standard plug type, I find these pop up ones faffy).

My husband pulled this out today to declog the sink and he accidentally dropped this screw bit down the drain: Hansgrohe Replacement Screw for Plug (97522000): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HNSU2UA/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_UAuWEb0SY3B7T

We can't get it out because we have no idea how to get to the pipes underneath (photo attached).

We can buy the replacement screw. But I was wondering if there was a way of replacing this plug type with a normal chain plug, or to another type of pop up (photo attached)? I don't know if the metal circular bit (dunno the technical name, pic attached) is usually removeable from sinks.

Attachments

• Thumb plug.jpg
    Thumb plug.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Pipes covered up.jpg
    Pipes covered up.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Metal circular bit.jpg
    Metal circular bit.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Possibly swap for this type.jpg
    Possibly swap for this type.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 7
As you are novices, I wouldn't recommend you fitting a different type of waste outlet to your basin. You would be better just buying the fitting. The only problem you may have is the screw down the waste, it could trap hair and other things and block your basin. You might be getting a plumber to recover the piece or possibly renew the waste.

1. That type of replacement part has the operating rod going through the loop at the bottom. To replace it you will also need to take off the bottom operating rod from the pop up mechanism, insert it through the hole in the plug screw, and reattach it to the vertical operating rod. Not mechanically difficult, but access is often limited.
2. As an alternative, just fit a brass screw (ex. Amazon, sold in three's). Measure your's but they are usually M6 x 50 mm long. You will probably ever after have to push the plug closed, but the opening pop up should still work.
3. As moonlight says, the old screw is a potential blocking point, and would best be removed. Under the basin (not sink) there will be a U bend or "P" trap. Remove this, (carefully, it will be full of water) and the chances are you will find the old screw. If not in the trap, will probably be hanging from the hole at its base from the operating rod.

Hi both, thanks for your replies.

We can't get to the screw unfortunately. We have no idea how to get to the pipes because they're covered up by a porcelain cover which is attached like this to the sink basin (see photo). Any idea how to remove this? That attachment is on both sides of the porcelain cover.
[automerge]1589797696[/automerge]
1. That type of replacement part has the operating rod going through the loop at the bottom. To replace it you will also need to take off the bottom operating rod from the pop up mechanism, insert it through the hole in the plug screw, and reattach it to the vertical operating rod. Not mechanically difficult, but access is often limited.

Sorry if I'm being thick, is this replacement bit what you're referring to as the 'bottom operating rod'? Hansgrohe Replacement Screw for Plug (97522000): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HNSU2UA/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_UAuWEb0SY3B7T Only asking because there isn't really anything else I can think of that would be the bottom operating rod (unless that's the proper name for the metal stick attached to the inside of the pipe which moves up and down when the lever behind the tap is used. No idea how we'd remove that.)

Attachments

• Pipes covered up.jpg
    Pipes covered up.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Your second picture shows a spring clip for the semi pedestal. It will either spring off or un fasten from above on the basin fixing clip.
[automerge]1589813818[/automerge]

Your second picture shows a spring clip for the semi pedestal. It will either spring off or un fasten from above on the basin fixing clip.
[automerge]1589813818[/automerge]

Thanks, that's really useful. I've tried searching online for all of these questions but it's hard to get decent results when you don't know the correct name of things!

Reply to Replacing the type of plug in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock