Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing the flush valve in Ideal Standard cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

formula400

I think I have an Ideal Standard Sottini, Conceala 2 dual flush cistern with chrome flush plate fitted in my downstairs WC. Water input is to the top of the cistern. The cistern is concealed. Top access is fine, just remove a shelf. Bottom access is difficult as the cistern is boxed in.
The cistern has developed the following problems pretty much at the same time:
1. Short flush: cistern flushes, but, instead of shutting off, water continues to run into the into the bowl in large volumes and must be disappearing via the internal overflow. The water system makes a loud vibrating noise (a bit like water hammer) while this is happening. The only way to stop the water flow is to push the long flush button.
2. Long flush: cistern flushes, but water flow not does not shut off immediately. Water continues to run into the bowl in decreasing volume for about 10 to 20 seconds or more. It then continues to flow into the bowl in very small amounts; it never shuts off completely.
I think I probably need to replace the flush valve. So, eventually here's my question. Can the flush valve be removed from the top? Can I just turn this flush valve a quarter turn anti-clockwise to remove it? Searching for spare parts it looks like the Ideal Standard flush valve has been updated. Would an updated valve fit in place of the rtemoved part of the old flush valve, or do I have to look for an original?
Thanks for any help,
Geoff

The water may be by-passing the flush seal rather than going down the overflow. I haven't dealt with this type of valve but there will be some method of getting it out through the top of the cistern. It is usually a push down and quarter turn or clips that flick back to release it. I have looked at pictures but they don't seem to help.

Have a look on toiletspares website and see if you can identify it accurately from the shape and colours. Then, if you buy a new one you will be able to see exactly how it comes out.

Good Luck
Paulus

Ideal standard flush valves are cack, washers degrade every couple years then they start passing. Get a new one off Amazon or toilet spares and just swap out the valve body leaving the base in the cistern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing the flush valve in Ideal Standard cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock