Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing Standpipe Trap under sink - Dishwasher in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have an issue with the standpipe trap in a 3-year-old flat. This flat came with a fitted dishwasher that has been completely unused for that time – until now...

The weekend before last, I thought maybe it was about time I tested it out running empty – it all worked fine and it drained ok. This weekend I didn’t use it but had used washing machine a fair bit.

Then on Monday morning I noticed standing water in the dishwasher, nearly up to the door. It wasn’t fresh water but looked like previously drained water come back into the machine, slightly sudsy.

Most of the previous week it had been ok – as I’d checked it the next few days after use.

I immediately ran a rinse & drain cycle and all the standing water flowed out again. I then checked the drain hose placement and found that the end of it had been sitting right down in the u bend of the trap.

I’m thinking water had syphoned back into the machine either later in the week, caused by or made worse by the washing machine drain water backflowing.

You will from the photos that the wastepipe seems to have been cut too short when originally installed (I've taken out the drain hose).

My plan is to swap fit a taller standpipe so it’s a few inches below the worktop. I also intend to fit a u-bend bracket to feed the drain hose in at the top.

What was originally fitted was a McAlpine standpipe trap kit, as I can see the labelling. The (too short) standpipe is 40mm diameter, and the u-bend of the trap is fitted to a horizontal 43mm solvent pipe.

I have complete McAlpine replacement trap kit at the ready including the u bend etc.

I'm no plumber and my expertise is pretty limited, so, I was after some advice please:
  1. Can I get away with replacing only the vertical standpipe (with the new seal) into the old u bend connector? Leaving the rest alone?
  2. Or should I replace the whole trap kit with the new one and fit it onto the existing solvent pipe?
And as I’m getting on a bit, the space as awkward, and my eyesight for this type of work isn’t the best….
  1. Is this an easy swap or would I be better to entrust this to the expertise of a plumber !!

Thank you !!

IMG_2721.jpgIMG_2719.jpgIMG_2716.jpg

The appliance connected to the stand pipe wouldn’t have siphoned water back as it’s open on the top would have flowed out of the trap first you sure it’s not connected to the sink waste trap ?

The appliance connected to the stand pipe wouldn’t have siphoned water back as it’s open on the top would have flowed out of the trap first you sure it’s not connected to the sink waste trap ?
Hi Shaun

Yes its now open to the top because I since took out the dishwasher drain hose - ready to swap the pipe.
The dishwasher is powered off and the water supply to it turned off.

The end hose was definitely sat right down in the u bend - there was actually a bit of suction when I freed it, like it had been stuck down against the inside of the pipe.

The washing machine's drain hose is connected to a spigot just below the sink drain - you can almost see that in one of the photos.

Try lifting the dishwasher hose up 6” from the top etc

As is with existing and raise and clip the tube as high as you can go with keeping 6” in the stand pipe

Reply to Replacing Standpipe Trap under sink - Dishwasher in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am installing a sink in utility room. Washing machine waste already exists and is the verical pipe with the flexib pipe from the machine poked down the top and a with a u bend at the bottow going directly to outside drain. Is it OK to put a tee joint into the verical pipe and join the sink...
Replies
Views
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine waste but the problem is in the water supply. Currently there is only hot and cold washing machine hose fitting isolators attached to very short...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am looking to install a standpipe to drain the water from the washer. I took a picture of the current set up and my plan. I was wondering if this was correct or if there is a better way. Sink-> ABS P Trap -> Tee (1.5 in x 2 in x 1.5 in) facing up -> elbow -> pipe to stack 2 in standpipe...
Replies
Views
I've got a countertop dishwasher. It's an RCA, but it's made in the same place as all the other brands, including Magic Chef, Danby, etc., that have the first generation style design for countertop dishwashers. (the different brands put their own name on these particular identical Chinese...
Replies
Views
Washing machine standpipe issues So I moved into an old house and the laundry area just has this standpipe sticking out of the floor. Cannot access crawlspace to see if there's any type of trap under the floor. We believe the pipe just makes a 90° turn under floor to meet up with other drain...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock