Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing radiator with towel rail - help needed in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning all. Wondering if you can help.

I'm re-doing my bathroom and thought I'd replace the radiator with a towel rail. The plastic pipes seem to be speedfit (or similar). I can't see a brand on them and they say 15mm (but they're clearly 10mm).

The current pipes won't stretch to the new towel radiator. Can anyone suggest what I can do? I could get some extra pipe and connect it to the current one, although it'll look messy. Or even do that inside the wall and cover the pipes with chrome.

I'm an amateur so an easy solution would be great, and I'd rather not have to drill any new holes.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 26
You have a Myson TRV and a lockshield valve, both of which are 15mm nuts and the elbows are 15mm x 10mm reducing type. I think to get those to reach you’re going to have to add extra pipe.
Thank you! The TRV and valve fit the towel rail fine, it's just the pipes that din't reach. Would you recommend gettign some additional pipe and connecting it to the current pipe?

Thank you! The TRV and valve fit the towel rail fine, it's just the pipes that din't reach. Would you recommend gettign some additional pipe and connecting it to the current pipe?
Yes I would, I’m not sure you’ll be able to expose the pipes that far back. Use a speedfit coupling with inserts, and use either speedfit pipe or copper if you’re feeling adventurous.

Thanks! I've got a combi boiler
Good stuff. So what you can often do is close the valves (as you have done, and drain the water through both valves, one at a time and that’s usually sufficient. Once wafter has ceased from both sides, you can normally work on the system, only refilling when you have finished, and just check any other radiators for any air, sometimes there is, sometimes there isn’t.

Good stuff. So what you can often do is close the valves (as you have done, and drain the water through both valves, one at a time and that’s usually sufficient. Once wafter has ceased from both sides, you can normally work on the system, only refilling when you have finished, and just check any other radiators for any air, sometimes there is, sometimes there isn’t.
Brilliant, thanks! I shall give it a go. Thanks so much for your help, it's really appreciated

Very important if you try this method- only ever have one open end in the system.

Drain through one valve only, when it stops - lengthen that pipe and reattach the valve and make sure that the valve is shut.
Then, and only then, open the other valve and do the same thing.

If you have two openings the whole system may dump out on you as you will have no vacuum to hold it.

Really need to go around and check for automatic air vents and close these off before you start.

This method works well most of the time - but would you know what to do if it fails on you?

Morning all. Wondering if you can help.

I'm re-doing my bathroom and thought I'd replace the radiator with a towel rail. The plastic pipes seem to be speedfit (or similar). I can't see a brand on them and they say 15mm (but they're clearly 10mm).

The current pipes won't stretch to the new towel radiator. Can anyone suggest what I can do? I could get some extra pipe and connect it to the current one, although it'll look messy. Or even do that inside the wall and cover the pipes with chrome.

I'm an amateur so an easy solution would be great, and I'd rather not have to drill any new holes.

Many thanks!

I hope your bathroom isn't too big and that you've matched the output of the radiator with the towel rail you've replaced it with otherwise it's going to be chilly.

I get new valves and have the valves, new extension of pipe and coupling all joined and ready to go.

Then it’s just a case of drain, chop and push fit the coupling. This reduces the risk of more water does decide to come at you.

And really, you want some nice new chrome valves on your towel rail. Also because towel rail valves typically connect at the bottom with the tail screwed in vertically, new valves will stop the valve heads (trv) sticking out beyond the edge of the towel rail.

Look at towel rail valves and decide which orientation you want the control head. You can get straight, bent or corner valves.

I get new valves and have the valves, new extension of pipe and coupling all joined and ready to go.

Then it’s just a case of drain, chop and push fit the coupling. This reduces the risk of more water does decide to come at you.

And really, you want some nice new chrome valves on your towel rail. Also because towel rail valves typically connect at the bottom with the tail screwed in vertically, new valves will stop the valve heads (trv) sticking out beyond the edge of the towel rail.

Look at towel rail valves and decide which orientation you want the control head. You can get straight, bent or corner valves.

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. New chrome valves, new pipe and new coupling have been ordered and are on their way. So like you said I should be able to drain and then quickly chop and re-join. Fingers crossed! Thanks for the great advice

Reply to Replacing radiator with towel rail - help needed in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My towel rail is not electric but separate to central heating and has been working consistently but since the 2 port valve was replaced on Monday because the radiators were not working it has stopped working, if I go into the loft and press the flame button on and off it seems to come back to...
Replies
Views
Hi all. The current towel rail is 1000mm x 600mm and ideally I'd like the pipes coming straight from the ground into the rail. The distance between pipe centres is 695mm. I can get a 750mm wide rail but the centres with that are 705mm and that additional 10mm could cause too much strain on...
Replies
Views
I have a caravan with a brand new heating system.The Valliant combi boiler is working fine but one radiator and one towel rail are stone cold.I have bled both and also tried to balance the radiators with no success.Even when I shut off all other radiators the problematic ones still don't heat...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I need to replace a radiator in the kitchen, the 10mm copper has split so using this opertunaty to replace it with a towel one and also need to remove both valves and make the pipes shorter. Its a gravity fed system and the last radiator in the system , I have a bung kit, i know i can...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock