Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing leaking yorkshire under floorboards in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everybody, what's the best way of replacing this leaking & corroded yorkshire T under the floorboards ??

Along with many other things in this property it's been leaking for years probably never installed properly in the first place!

I am a little worried about using my small GAZ blowlamp under there and wondered if I would even be able to cleanup the pipes enough but then again the same cleanup issue applies to using compression, how about cutting right back and using speedfit (these are central heating pipes) ?

There are over half a dozen of these to do.....
P1170491.JPG

I would cut back the legs to uncorroded pipe. You'll have a nice new T with three new legs, which you can probably assemble on the bench, and three straight couplings to make. If applicable, careful to check you are using the right combination of imperial and metric pipe and fittings.

If you are not sure what you are doing, get an experienced plumber to sort you out.

To be honest, if you have six failing like this, I'd be thinking carefully about whether a re-pipe was needed as it's probably only a matter of time until more fail. Again, an experienced plumber will be happy to advise and quote.

2 things to be cautious of;
That old foam will be very flammable, strip it all away from any flame area and any other junk in the floor, consider a flameproof mat or other non combustable to protect the floor area.

You are likely to be moving the remaining pipes about, this may cause leaks elsewhere on the pipework if there are other suspect joints.
As above pre made Tee with tails and compression or pushfit connectors, you may need a slip joint to get the last one in.

Thnxs Snowhead! This isn't my thread but your mention of a 'slip' joint has had me searching the Internet for half an hour till I came across an 'Ultimate Handyman' youtube video demonstration of one... . Never knew they existed or how to use till now!.... Thanks again! 👍

I would cut back the legs to uncorroded pipe. You'll have a nice new T with three new legs, which you can probably assemble on the bench, and three straight couplings to make. If applicable, careful to check you are using the right combination of imperial and metric pipe and fittings.
I like that idea Chuck, saves a lot of hassle and no chance of fire under the floor.
If you are not sure what you are doing, get an experienced plumber to sort you out.

To be honest, if you have six failing like this, I'd be thinking carefully about whether a re-pipe was needed as it's probably only a matter of time until more fail. Again, an experienced plumber will be happy to advise and quote.
It looks to me like the pipes weren't cleaned before assembly or no flux was used, I will inspect all carefully. Sadly where I live experienced plumbers are simply not available, I have searched hard.
2 things to be cautious of;
That old foam will be very flammable, strip it all away from any flame area and any other junk in the floor, consider a flameproof mat or other non combustible to protect the floor area.
Ohh yes very flammable, I would certainly remove it first, as for the junk I have slowly been filling my bins up from the assorted detritus left here, even gardening is affected by digging up crisp, biscuit & chocolate wrappers, amazing how some people live!
You are likely to be moving the remaining pipes about, this may cause leaks elsewhere on the pipework if there are other suspect joints.
Yup I reckon the system refill might be a multi-staged affair to finally work out the last of the leaks, ATM I can only do the blindingly obvious.
As above pre made Tee with tails and compression or pushfit connectors, you may need a slip joint to get the last one in.
Great idea especially the slip joint, of course I don't expect the likes of B&Q have ever heard of it, but if all else fails I can drill out a standard fitting.

Thank you everybody for your help, certainly added some ideas to my pot.

Reply to Replacing leaking yorkshire under floorboards in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock