Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing kitchen tap, help needed in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My kitchen tap is broken and needs replacing. Can anyone help me out but explaining what I need to do in order to remove it? I've removed the bolt attaching the tap itself to the sink, so it's loose at the top. Underneath, I can see the hot and cold plus the feed for the washing machine. There are isolation values for each of them which I have turned off. Seems like a silly question but what do I need to unscrew to get the thing off?!
IMG_3348.jpg
IMG_3346.jpg

Hi Andy,

Either undo the nuts circled red and blue, or pull on the pushfit collets, to remove the pipe. If your new taps come with the same compression fittings (the silver type nuts) then go with first option.

Attachments

• A0A7E515-FCD1-4DC3-AC1F-1E0902312C79.jpeg
    A0A7E515-FCD1-4DC3-AC1F-1E0902312C79.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 7
Hi Andy,

Either undo the nuts circled red and blue, or pull on the pushfit collets, to remove the pipe. If your new taps come with the same compression fittings (the silver type nuts) then go with first option.

Thank you Aquarius. I'm rather embarrassed to say that I cannot undo the nuts, they just won't budge! I'm concerned about wrecking it or causing a leak so might just get a plumber in. Annoying because I don't really want to spend money on things like this at the moment but needs must I guess. Appreciate your help.

Andy

What's wrong with the existing tap, I know you said broken, but how?

Daft question, but do you know how they unscrew?
The old tap is leaking at the mixer lever but it doesn’t seem to be possible to get into it to replace whatever’s busted.

Not a daft question about unscrewing the nuts, it’s quite possible it don’t know how to do it!
[automerge]1593762741[/automerge]
I’ve marked in red where the old tap is leaking. It’s dripping out of the joint in the lever.
0437832C-0AD9-4E21-9CA0-A2A1635E0355.jpeg

Last edited:
Grip the narrow brass nut that is part of the hose and hold it still. Then turn the fat nut, ANTICLOCKWISE if looking upwards. This will unscrew the nut from the hose.

Reply to Replacing kitchen tap, help needed in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock