Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing entire filling loop on Vaillant EcoTec Pro 28 in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, I think has been discussed before but I don't think I've seen a clear answer. We have the Vaillant boiler as above and the filling loop has started to leak from around the olive joint on the cold water side.

I would like to replace the whole loop, flexi, taps and the valves etc.

I can turn the cold water main off with no problems but my question is, would removing the central heating return side end up draining all the upstairs radiators by removing this valve please?

I can turn off the valve between the TF1 and up to the boiler and I presume the Vaillant has a valve/solenoid to prevent water draining from the boiler down (mains water would be off at stopcock) but would the rads water pressure push water out on that side?

I guess i could just replace the leaking cold water check valve side and leave the rad valve side in place but would like to replace all if poss.

I attach some pictures.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 11
If you turn off the the valve above for the fernox omega, then you’ll get a little bit out, but if you keep the loop on that side, disconnect the water side, then you have a makeshift drain hose, place hose into a suitable container and open the heating side, continue with replacement after water has stopped. You shouldn’t get that much.

Thanks, we have 4 rads upstairs, would they end up draining through this? How quick would the flow be?

I guess since I am keeping the olives and original nuts in place when I replace the loop I could just be quick to screw the new valve on to the rad return side.

Do you recommend and PTFE as well at the olive side considering they are originals?

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

No it shouldn’t drain upstairs rads. If you use the flexi as I’ve said, you can control the flow, although it shouldn’t be all that much. Yes, re-use of olives will be a case of unscrew and screw new ones on. Ptfe is a preference, but since you want to get it right, it’ll do no harm, just don’t put any on the threads - it’ll look naff and do nothing 😂

Also Chris.

Tbh

Loosen the heating side valve enough so you can undo the rest by hand be careful you don’t undo it all the way yet

remove the flexi cold water side and insert into a bucket open the valve

Have the other valve on hand

Wait until you see the pressure drop close the valve undo the nut fully

Then open the valve into the bucket again and quickly pull the old one off and put the new one on

Tighten up and your done the heating side

Hi Chris,

No it shouldn’t drain upstairs rads. If you use the flexi as I’ve said, you can control the flow, although it shouldn’t be all that much. Yes, re-use of olives will be a case of unscrew and screw new ones on. Ptfe is a preference, but since you want to get it right, it’ll do no harm, just don’t put any on the threads - it’ll look naff and do nothing 😂

Also Chris.
Thanks very much Undertrained :)
Appreciate your help.

Tbh

Loosen the heating side valve enough so you can undo the rest by hand be careful you don’t undo it all the way yet

remove the flexi cold water side and insert into a bucket open the valve

Have the other valve on hand

Wait until you see the pressure drop close the valve undo the nut fully

Then open the valve into the bucket again and quickly pull the old one off and put the new one on

Tighten up and your done the heating side
Cheers ShaunCorbs. Sounds like we know the recommended procedure then. Many thanks.
Chris

Reply to Replacing entire filling loop on Vaillant EcoTec Pro 28 in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

If you are qualified to do a Gas Safety check on a property I assume that entails checking the boiler. If, when checking a Combi, you notice the flexi filling loop in place (Taps closed) would you remove it or leave it be? Also if you notice one valve open and the other closed, once again, would...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, Where is the place to order a Vaillant filling loop, please? I looked around on the net but can't seem to find it as a kit. I'm not doing the job but he wants to know what to buy and replace it himself and asked me where to get one. I said I'd have a mooch. He sent this picture. I...
Replies
Views
On my Valliant eco tec boiler the pressure guage is on red when cold . I drain a radiator to correct to pressure and it works fine and stays in the safe zone . When I switch boiler off the next day it’s back in the red It could be one of the valves leaking . Can I take the loop off , which...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
Vaillant Ecotec Plus 832 boiler is 13 years old, 4 of which since we've been living there, started to play up in last couple of months. An engineer with very good reviews came round and says it will cost 700+VAT for 'replacement expansion vessel, pressure relief valve and diverter valve on...
Replies
Views
I’ve noticed on my old Bosch boiler the DCV on the filling loop is fitted to the boiler side of the water supply. And there is no isolator valve fitted. The only thing stopping it from leaking is the DCV? IS this ok?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock