Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing diverter valve in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, this is my first post.. hoping it's an easy one that someone can help me with.
I've got a standard system (not a Combi.. just a Bosch gas boiler and a hot water tank).
Anyway.. everytime the CH valve turns off, I get a REALLY LOUD clunking noise from the system.

I've done some reading around and one forum suggested that the Diverter Valve may have been installed "the wrong way round" - so i checked... and it has been !
So, all I need to do is disconnect the brass valve, turn it round and re-install - happy days.
Here's my question... what do i need to do in-order for loads of water (under pressure) not to shoot-out when I remove the diverter valve ?
Is it just a case of taking the CH pressure down to zero by removing 'some' water from one of the downstairs radiators until the pressure dial goes to "zero" ?
And then re-fill the system / bleed the radiators after I've spun the valve round ?

So I’m guessing it’s a system boiler? It’s not a diverter valve you have, unless it’s a W plan? Post a photo of airing cupboard/hot water cylinder - there maybe some valves on it.

You're 100% right... apologies, it's not a "Diverter Valve" - just a simple valve that's controlled with a servo / motor that's connected to the boiler. There's one for the Central Heating and one for the Hot Water.
I've attached a photo (with the motor removed).
My plan is to simply un-do the top and bottom nuts, hope there is enough play in the pipes for me to remove it, spin it round and wack it back on (what could possibly go wrong ?!) - any advice / insight in how to remove the pressure first (and any water that may be held in the boiler that is 'above' the valve) or any other tips appreciated. Photo attached. Many thanks.
PS The noise when it closes is REALLY loud !! but read somewhere that, if it's installed wrong way round, you can get a noise.
I'm assuming the "shutting" is more sudden if it's not installed the right way round and it's this SUDDEN CLOSING that's causing the loud bang (due to the mechanical design of the valve ?).

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 23
2 port valve do you have a bypass valve

Yes, valves installed the wrong way around will bang. If you have an open vented system, then you can use a plugging kit. If you have a system boiler, then drain the boiler pressure, and that should be enough to work on it, you may get some excess water when swapping around.

Yes, valves installed the wrong way around will bang. If you have an open vented system, then you can use a plugging kit. If you have a system boiler, then drain the boiler pressure, and that should be enough to work on it, you may get some excess water when swapping around.
Is there an easy way to do this ?

Thanks Gasmk1 :)
Being the DIY part of the forum, I thought someone might be able to give me some help on how I might do it myself :) - I'm guessing there's no way other than bleeding one of the upstairs radiators until I see the pressure drop to "0" on the pressure gauge. Is there another / more simple way ? Any advice appreciated :)

Thanks Gasmk1 :)
Being the DIY part of the forum, I thought someone might be able to give me some help on how I might do it myself :) - I'm guessing there's no way other than bleeding one of the upstairs radiators until I see the pressure drop to "0" on the pressure gauge. Is there another / more simple way ? Any advice appreciated :)
no simpler way than what you have mentioned, is the valve definitely in the wrong direction as would be a fruitless task if it isn’t, looking at the photo don’t know how much play you have as you need quite a bit as the pipe will be approx 1/2 inch into the valve each side.

Yeah, it's definitely the wrong way round (have double checked).
And I think you're right in there not being enough 'play' to remove the valve... I've just checked and all the fittings are pretty solid.. no wiggle-room at all. So I'll have to use a couple of those pre-soldered sleeve-couplers I guess.

Yeah, it's definitely the wrong way round (have double checked).
And I think you're right in there not being enough 'play' to remove the valve... I've just checked and all the fittings are pretty solid.. no wiggle-room at all. So I'll have to use a couple of those pre-soldered sleeve-couplers I guess.
You will need to drain the water out of the system, at least in the vicinity of this valve, if you want to solder a coupler.
You won't make a decent soldered joint with water in the pipe!
I'd use compression if water's about.

Reply to Replacing diverter valve in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock