Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing boiler for combi. Fair price?? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

My parents have recently had a problem with their worcester 24ri boiler where the water heats up but the heating does not. They have had a local plumber which they have always used and wouldnt use anyone else to look at the problem. The outcome being a £6500 quote to replace with a combi boiler ( remove the tank as it on its last legs and could fall through the ceiling at any time) and covert it into a wireless stat instead of a hard wired one.no radiators are being replaced.
The plumber has got the boiler working as a temporary measure so the heating and water will only come on together until they can do the work.I just wanted to check this was reasonable as my parents refuse to get quotes from elsewhere. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

"Reasonable" varies according to location and the installation required. However I would confidently say I could beat that price in most cases. Ask around your friends and family, they might use a plumber you can recommend.

Why are they refusing to get other quotes? It is difficult to say whether a quote is reasonable without seeing the job. As others have said it depends on your location and get two other quotes is the only way to find out what is reasonable

Why are they refusing to get other quotes? It is difficult to say whether a quote is reasonable without seeing the job. As others have said it depends on your location and get two other quotes is the only way to find out what is reasonable
The problem is that they have only ever used this plumber and will agree with whatever is suggested, i will endeavour to convince them that they should at least get a second opinion. The property is near Frome Somerset.

My parents have recently had a problem with their worcester 24ri boiler where the water heats up but the heating does not. They have had a local plumber which they have always used and wouldnt use anyone else to look at the problem. The outcome being a £6500 quote to replace with a combi boiler ( remove the tank as it on its last legs and could fall through the ceiling at any time) and covert it into a wireless stat instead of a hard wired one.no radiators are being replaced.
The plumber has got the boiler working as a temporary measure so the heating and water will only come on together until they can do the work.I just wanted to check this was reasonable as my parents refuse to get quotes from elsewhere. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
If you are worried, get a breakdown of this quote, boiler price, rads, labour etc. and publish it on here we will know and help to re assure you. centralheatking

I had a similar issue with my dad lately (roofing rather than plumbing) but decided to let him overpay a bit because it was what he wanted and he has been pleased with the job and it made him happy. Had I talked him out of it then it would have been blamed on me if it went wrong. Just my 2p

Seems a lot of £££ to me, golden rule for larger jobs is always get 3 quotes, ideally at least one from a friend of a friend.
Let us know how you get on 👍🏻

Sounds like another case of an installer pushing a combi. I would get a quote for a replacement heat-only boiler, including strengthening the ceiling under the HW cylinder.

Sounds like another case of an installer pushing a combi. I would get a quote for a replacement heat-only boiler, including strengthening the ceiling under the HW cylinder.
When we first started knocking out Combis in the Early 80s householders were just pleased to have instant hot water and centralheating even as big as 4 beds. Since then ensuites, showers, power showers has changed the dynamic. The world has moved on but some heating outfits just keep on banging the combi drum. Demand for domestic mains water has grown exponentially so the big combi will not do its job due to supply problems. Thats it in a nutshell. Some installers are not qualified to fit
proper storage systems and are scared of not getting the job because they are more
expensive...combis are fine for 2/3 bed house flat one bathroom but thats it really centralheatking

I didnt want to say it , but my thoughts exactly.The boiler is ok , from what i have read possibly a sticky or seized valve(it only stopped heating the radiators after switch on after months of being unused) or controller . And to be fair the tank does look like it has a bit of a belly so replace this also.Maybe not a basket case after all. They have agreed a other quote so thats one good thing.

I didn't want to say it, but my thoughts exactly. The boiler is ok, from what i have read possibly a sticky or seized valve (it only stopped heating the radiators after switch on after months of being unused) or controller. And to be fair the tank does look like it has a bit of a belly so replace this also. Maybe not a basket case after all. They have agreed a other quote so that's one good thing.
It won't cost a fortune to replace the HW cylinder, and beef up its supports at the same time. I was reading elsewhere on this forum that modern HW cylinders have much better heat transfer, so reducing recovery time.

Reply to Replacing boiler for combi. Fair price?? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock