Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing a Boilermate OV A-Class in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zukabak

Hi Folks,

After a bit of advice really, as before I go ringing around a few local plumbers etc I'd like to have an idea of what I'm talking about! :)

Basically we bought our house (3 bed, 3 storey) new in 2009, which came with a Boilermate A-Class in the 'main' bathroom in on the middle floor, which is heated from a Glowworm 15hxi in the kitchen. There's a small overflow/expansion 'bucket' in the loft which has a pipe running to the outside.

I had an engineer from 'Home Energy Services' come out to do an initial inspection to put the system under their ongoing monthy service plan etc and basically the fella 'failed' the inspection after pointing out that it looks like my Boilermate is leaking. There's a small 'weeping' from one of the pipe joints, but more worryingly, quite a lot of corrosion on the base seam, which he reckons will be due to the inner copper tank splitting. A bit of research on here seems to show that's quite a common fault. :(

Before I go direct to Gledhill to get a quote for replacement etc etc.. general consensus seems to be that it'd be better in the long run to replace the Boilermate with something along the lines of a Megaflow unit.
If that's the case, would I need to be looking at replacing the boiler too? (Obviously, I'd rather not as I'm already dreading the potential cost of the Boilermate replacement)..

Many thanks!

You shouldn't need to replace the boiler, if it is in good working order.
Get a good local gas safe engineer round give you a quote and check the boiler out/service.
If your installing a mega flow check the tradesmen are G3 qualified.

Or post on here with the job details and location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

You shouldn't need to replace the boiler, if it is in good working order.
Get a good local gas safe engineer round give you a quote and check the boiler out/service.
If your installing a mega flow check the tradesmen are G3 qualified.

Thanks, I'll definitely be putting a post in the 'engineer wanted' section, once I've actually got some details of the type of unit that people suggest I replace the Boilermate with.
Would something like a Santon unit be ideal? The thought of a 25+ year warranty certainly appeals, especially as the warranty on these Boilermates only looks to be 2 years!

Leaks on pipe joints are common, assuming a compression fitting, and easily cured by nipping up with a bit of paste. Your boiler is separate, stand alone, item.
Cure the leak and monitor corrosion. If not actually weeping, tank unlikely to be split.
Find a plumber who does boilermate repairs and seek his advise. When working boilermate is good system.

not much good news where these are concerned the boiler is possably too small as they are a thermal store and a new high recovery cylinder would probably take a higher heat input Gledhill are not a firm to share know how so people arnt too keen on working on them

They actually do leak and not always from joints. The central heating boiler is ok for this if used correctly I.e. on 24/7. To replce with an unvented system and pump/valves et al will cost. Depending on number of rads will dictate on the boiler size also.get your checkbook ready.

Thanks for the replies so far..

Here's a couple of photos of the issue:

This is the 'main' photo, showing the difference between the lack of corrosion on some joints compared to the others.
IMG_3182.jpg

This one shows the seam and brown spot where the engineer believes the outer shell has actually rotted through.
IMG_3184.jpg

And finally, this one show the joint that 'weeps'.

IMG_3186.jpg

From the photos, would you guys also say that the inner copper cylinder's split?

Thanks

Based on the photos , I would be suggesting a replacement unit, and quickly looking at the condition of that - I would think Gledhill will be 2/3 grand having seen some of their quotes. Units very good when working but can be very problematic with spares expensive.
Unvented etc. likely to be expensive to install but generally cheaper in the long run.

Thanks Woodsy.. obviously it's not the news I wanted to hear, but was pretty much expecting.

I'm already pretty much against the idea of fitting another Gledhill, so what type of system would you think would be a suitable replacement? It's a 3 Bed house with 9 rads and a Gloworm 15hxi boiler (which I assume I'll have to replace with a combi if I'm binning the thermal store?)

Unvented is the way to go if possible as it will be far superior to a combi and gives you the oppuntunity to use both bathrooms at the same time. Combi's ok but will definitely only supply one outlet at a time. Really need to get 2-3 installers out to acess your expectations, current system and advise on the best alternatives.

i would be draining and cleaning up those joints looks like its the fitting rather than the tank might be worth 2 hours labour as there a chance thats all it needs

i would be draining and cleaning up those joints looks like its the fitting rather than the tank might be worth 2 hours labour as there a chance thats all it needs

That's a good shout actually, obviously I'd much rather pay a few hundred quid to sort it than a few grand!
I assume this is something a competent plumber could do, as opposed to needing a heating engineer? The problem obviously seems to be people are afraid of touching these sodding Boilermates!

Last edited by a moderator:
its a bit of a gamble but those plastic fittings are prone to weep ive got two under my stairs that grow calcite so obviously weep a little you need to find a plumber and offer him the job and explain you understand the risk its probably not the tank as that would be pouring out even from a little split or perforation where as the fittings do weep

I just thought I'd pop a quick update in here for anyone who might be interested.
I had two local guys come out, both essentially said it was goosed and to get it removed/replaced.
After chatting to a couple of engineers during my "Go on then, what would you recommend?" phase it looks like I'll be going with completely removing the thermal store and converting to a combi (Logic Vogue 40). It should provide the hot water needed and frees up the airing cupboard completely which is very useful in a new(ish) build house.
They seem to get good reviews and the 10yr Warranty is certainly welcome after having a few issues with the current Glowworm model (perforated heat exchanger for one!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing a Boilermate OV A-Class in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock