Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing 7 radiators in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

As part of my house renovation I have decided that I will replace all the old type 11 radiators with type 21 double panel plus radiators. So the pipework for each radiator will have to be moved slightly - all the radiators are remaining in the same place.

Currently all the ceilings are exposed so all the pipework is easily accessible. To fit only the builder has said it will take 2- 2.5 days.

Does that sound reasonable? Or should I get a quote from someone else?

Depends how much they are charging a day I guess.
It’s likely floor boards will need lifting to access pipes.
Waste removal.
flux, solder, fittings, inhibitor, sundries etc etc

Once you factor in the time for draining the system at the start and then once the rads are fitted filling up the system, checking for leaks, dealing with potential airlocks and bleeding its probably in the right ball park, although hard to say for sure without having seen it.

Is he going to balance the system as well? I'd definitely recommend balancing it seeing as you are replacing all the rads with a different type.

If you're moving the pipework "slightly" that suggests that by replacing single panel rads with doubles of roughly the same area you're also increasing the output of each emitter considerably. Is that something you've factored in with your heating eingineer?

1. Based on an 8 hour day, your builder is allowing 2 1/4 hours per radiator (((2.0 x 8 x 60) / 7) minutes = 137 minutes / radiator). Sounds about right allowing for access, removal of old, fitting new brackets etc, fitting tails and valves, pipework alterations, and reconnection.

Depends how much they are charging a day I guess.
It’s likely floor boards will need lifting to access pipes.
Waste removal.
flux, solder, fittings, inhibitor, sundries etc etc

I think the 2-2.5 days estimate is pretty close and I am happy that it's not being rushed. The day rate he is charging is £300 per day in Huddersfield. I am not sure if that is what is going rate.

If you're moving the pipework "slightly" that suggests that by replacing single panel rads with doubles of roughly the same area you're also increasing the output of each emitter considerably. Is that something you've factored in with your heating eingineer?

Just a thought but is your boiler going to be able to cope with what sounds like almost doubling the output of your system. But to answer your query 2 - 2.5 days is spot on.

The overall BTU will be about 20% more than the current - I am really changing the radiators to create more space and taking KOP advice - why replace with old radiators when I am renovating the hole house.
[automerge]1599385251[/automerge]
Dont let the 'builder' go near it.

I was initially going to get separate tradesman in but as I started to work out what work was needed doing and what tradesman to bring in - it got overwhelming so I decided to give the whole job to the builder / contractor who would then bring his own people in.

I have realised that it is a double edged sword because many times when he has brough in the tradesman he has provided slighly different instructions to them - thats even after I had a signed agreement of the works. Small differences I accepted but others I had to make sure he was still on spec.

Reply to Replacing 7 radiators in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, I need to replace a radiator in the kitchen, the 10mm copper has split so using this opertunaty to replace it with a towel one and also need to remove both valves and make the pipes shorter. Its a gravity fed system and the last radiator in the system , I have a bung kit, i know i can...
Replies
Views
Hi to all, I have bought a new radiator as replacement for old one. After installation by plumber, the new radiator is heating up only to 1/3 of high. The rest remain cold. Also, radiator is making quite loud noise when heating up. The system/radiator is free of air. My plumber was...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'd like to install new radiators in my home which are currently fed by copper pipe via the floor boards. I live in a bungalow and access beneath floorboards is quite good access. I'd like to change the piping to come out the walls instead and therefore looking to use speedfit products...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I live in a flat that has communal heating through a single pipe system. I recently had replaced a deco flat panel (waffle) radiator with a more mundane type 22 panel radiator. The problem is that the new radiator sort of worked in the beginning, but it does not emit any heat now...
Replies
Views
This winter seemed colder than last so I am thinking of replacing my central heating radiators for new ones. The existing radiators are probably around 20 years old, they have TRV's fitted and most are double panel. they all get hot and the combi boiler is working fine. Would there be any...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock