Search the forum,

Discuss Replacement valve in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

https://*********/a/MeEfucy

This valve is jammed shut so tried replacing but can't seem to find a replacement that matches, shown in the image link it looks like 20mm to a 25mm, I think there's still a radiator tail, if that's what they're called, which goes into the 25mm opening on the jammed valve, then a nut on the tail screws over the 25mm thread. The bottom part, the 20mm goes over the existing pipe coming from the floor.

Any ideas on what to search for to buy a replacement ?

Apologies can't find the edit button on mobile, will check from laptop later, here are the pics below, thanks
Screenshot_20210710-185832.jpg
Screenshot_20210710-185804.jpg
Screenshot_20210710-185820.jpg

I think you want a 15mm x 3/4" straight radiator valve, eg Optima Straight Radiator Valve - 15mm x 3/4" | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183930550366

But is yours a thermostatic valve, in which case buy a straight thermostatic valve of your choice, and replace the old "tail" with the one that comes with the new valve.
Looks like a straight 15mm x 3/4" rad valve with the spindle snapped off.
Not sure I agree about it being a 3/4" valve. To me it looks like that's an old-fashioned 1/2" radiator union valve connected to 15mm pipe. Unless when the OP states the radiator tail goes 'into' it, he means exactly that and not roughly that. Easiest to remove the valve tail too, take the lot to a local merchant and ask for something that will fit than faff about hoping to find a valve that uses a similar tail. Valves are sold with tails anyway.

Ah was hoping to not have to remove that tail part as I'm not sure how you would even grip it to twist it off, the lose nut that sits on the tail doesn't move up enough to give me anything under it to grip, here's a picture of the tail, that new looking valve that's on there is one I bought that doesn't fit the existing tail, also the new valve is too long making the radiator slanted

IMG_20210711_134300.jpg
IMG_20210711_134156.jpg
IMG_20210711_134149.jpg

I'll try again (having made a wrong suggestion earlier!)
That tail has a "union" connection, which as has been said, is old school style but still available, such as: 15mm Straight Radiator Valve (Union Type) | Stevenson Plumbing & Electrical Supplies - https://www.stevensonplumbing.co.uk/15mm-radiator-valve-straight.html

I'm not sure if the curvature of the sealing faces between the tail and the valve was standard, so there might be a risk that buying any random union style replacement might not seal properly.
Hopefully the guru's here might advise.

The most reliable option would be to obtain the necessary tail key and have a go at removing the old tail. Then you are free to fit the new tail that comes with the replacement valve.

Last edited:

Reply to Replacement valve in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock