Search the forum,

Discuss Replacement UV cylinder in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

As the kids are growing, I'm finding our 250L Megaflo is occasionally running out of HW.

What are opinions on having a second UV cylinder vs having a bigger 400/500L cylinder fitted? Any pros and cons?

My Megaflo is "only" 7 years old. Is there any resale value to these things, or do I just have to have it gotten rid of?

And in terms of brand - seems the Joule is recommended. Any others to consider?

How many showers and for how long approximately?
Set the hot water times so it’s up to temp before demand and on during times of use.
You could try adding a circulation pump to get the full 250l at 65 degrees

How many showers and for how long approximately?
Set the hot water times so it’s up to temp before demand and on during times of use.
You could try adding a circulation pump to get the full 250l at 65 degrees

Max 2 showers at once, but they are quite a high flow rate (15-20 L/min). The cylinder is set to heat up before the heating comes on. It also heats up whilst the heating is on, but I'd imagine the flow temps are substantially lower due to heating demand.

I hadn't considered de-stratifying - is that something often done on unvented cylinders?
[automerge]1583505436[/automerge]
If theres space why not just add a second in parallel, saves getting rid of your current one

That's what Im thinking, but wanted to know if there was any significant downside. I suppose one being 2 cylinders to maintain and heat. Wondering if I should just bite the bullet and put a single 400/500L in.

whats your hot water times might be worth leaving them on 24/7 worth a try?

HW priority, can be simply done with a relay. Our 170l reheats recovers 15 minutes quicker when used. What size is your boiler output as your coil will be rated at 24kw in that MegaFlo.

You shouldn't really be running out much with a 250l even at them flow rates. We have a 170l MegaFlo (Inherited, HW stored at 55), our showers are around 16/17lpm, at two 10 minute showers (@40oc) we can just about get enough HW out of it for them.

Is it better in summer when the CH isn't on?

Boiler is a Vaillant 438.

I'm not sure about in Summer, but I guess will find out soon enough. The kids are only just now using the shower more excessively. I will have to educate them on how HW can run out and not to spend unnecessarily long in there.

I'm toying with the HW priority and increased cylinder temp (with blending valve) - as advised on another forum. I think I'll wait to replace the cylinder with one larger one as and when this becomes a bigger problem, rather than having a second cylinder fitted which seems far more costlier/complicated.

I wouldn’t increase your store temp as this can lead to other problems as the cylinder isn’t designed for this

Boiler is a Vaillant 438.

I'm not sure about in Summer, but I guess will find out soon enough. The kids are only just now using the shower more excessively. I will have to educate them on how HW can run out and not to spend unnecessarily long in there.

I'm toying with the HW priority and increased cylinder temp (with blending valve) - as advised on another forum. I think I'll wait to replace the cylinder with one larger one as and when this becomes a bigger problem, rather than having a second cylinder fitted which seems far more costlier/complicated.
I think the blending valve is OTT, storing at 60oc is more than enough. I wouldn't want to be storing it any higher as Shaun says.

You'd be surprised how much HW priority helps.

Have you done some basic test with a thermometer and stop watch.
Minutes used, litres per min of outlets and temp drop!

Reply to Replacement UV cylinder in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future, but likely the PV kind rather than the thermal kind, and won't be having heat pump in the future. So the cylinder would be connected to the boiler at...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
Having a chat with colleagues on this one to decide on best route. Existing 500L megaflo which does not provide sufficiant HW. Cold water entering cools the hot way too quickly and consequently the 500L is good for about half that. Coil is 54kw boiler is 80kw Cylinder options… The...
Replies
Views
Hi, I live in a 9yr old 3 story townhouse with showers on the 1st and 2nd floor, a bath on the 1st and toilets and basins on all three floors. I've never been very happy with my shower and tap water pressures but have only recently investigated the issue. The house has an unvented indirect...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock