Search the forum,

Discuss Replacement toilet flush - cable or pneumatic in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I need to replace my existing pneumatic button flush, as the rubber diaphragm that lifts the flush mechanism is leaking, and was wondering whether I should go for another pneumatic, or are cable ones more reliable?
The outlet hole seems to be 40mm internally, but the pipe looks to be 50mm externally, so I don't know whether I need a 1½" or 2" fitting, but I can get one with fits both. The push button hole is 40mm, and it seems that 38mm is a fairly common size, and the button is fitted to the front of the vanity unit.
So I just need to decide between cable or pneumatic. I have read comments that imply cable ones are easier to operate, but the cables can rust up, whereas pneumatic ones tend to be more prone to leaks (as mine is).
Does anybody have any recommendations?

As you say, a cable one tends to have less resistance and it is easier to press the button - some of my customers have asked me to remove perfectly functioning pneumatic flushes as they find the button too stiff as they have impaired hand function (eg arthritis).

Don’t like to recommend a brand as to be frank I don’t think there’s a good one - if your set up allows it I would recommend fitting a syphon with lift diaphragm; this is the way forward.

Cable for me.
You can find them with both outlets if you're not sure e.g. viva universal.
You are correct 38mm is standard and the viva (and others) come with various bits for the button end e.g. flush (with the substrate) or proud.
Read the instructions and set up the flush volume etc correctly.
I usually change fill and flush valves in 1 hit- they are so cheap. You can get a 2 pack with both.
If you do the fill valve get the brass shank - again viva do a universal - side or top entry

Last edited:
Just an update in case anybody has to deal with a 2 inch (50mm) flush pipe.

Most flush valves I came across had adapters for 1½" & 2" outlet cistern holes, but only fitted a 1½" flush pipe.
However, the Viva Skylo comes with fitting for both sizes of flush pipe, the only downside is that the cable is slightly shorter at 300 mm, which meant that I cut a small slot in the front of the cistern, as it is concealed behind a panel.
Skylo Button & Handle Dual Flush Valve | Toilet Flush Valves | Viva - https://www.vivasanitary.co.uk/products/toilet-flush-valves/skylo-button-handle-dual-flush-valve.aspx
Viva Button & Handle Dual-Flush Valve - https://www.screwfix.com/p/viva-button-handle-dual-flush-valve/6998h#product_additional_details_container

It also apparently has a 10 Year Warranty 10 Year Warranty | Viva - https://www.vivasanitary.co.uk/10-year-warranty.aspx

Reply to Replacement toilet flush - cable or pneumatic in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock