• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Replacement Shower Arm in the Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Geoff Billson

Reaction score
Because there is a 5 inch gap between the tiled plaster board and the faceplate elbow screwed to the noggin I need to join an extension to my new shower arm to ensure sufficient length of arm into the shower cubicle.
I will therefore have 2 joins. The 1/2 inch BSP thread of the showerarm into the extension and the 1/2 inch BSP thread of the extension into the fixed wall plate.
My question is what is the best method to ensure a water tight seal on both these joints. Do I use a rubber washer or just sealing tape such as ptfe or locktite string?
Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

rpm

Trusted
Plumber
Reaction score
Loctite 55 here.
How will the rubber washer seal a male/female joint without a sealing face.

OP
G

Geoff Billson

Reaction score
Good advice thanks. I have not yet removed the old arm or purchased the extension so I am not sure about the sealing face situation. I imagine the face plate on the noggin is likely to have a sealing face but not sure about the extension. Sounds like the best option is a sealing washer if the fitting allows it or otherwise Loctite cord or maybe both if the situation allows it. Is that the way to go?

Riley

S. Mod
Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
How will you get the washer into the wall fitting??

OP
G

Geoff Billson

Reaction score
Good point.It may already have one or I might be able to access it through the plaster board. Will have to face the problem on the day.

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Top Bottom