Search the forum,

Discuss Replacement controllers..... in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey all, need to find a replacement control unit for my air/water heat pump. Does anyone have have any links that I can try? Thanks for any help

We have a store full of ASH Pump parts and control units. We would need the ASHP manufacturer, the model and preferably the unit serial number. Thereafter the part that you want a replacement for.

If you are looking for a compressor control unit for a Toshiba, MHI, Panasonic or Nibe sit down before you look at the price.

We have a store full of ASH Pump parts and control units. We would need the ASHP manufacturer, the model and preferably the unit serial number. Thereafter the part that you want a replacement for.

If you are looking for a compressor control unit for a Toshiba, MHI, Panasonic or Nibe sit down before you look at the price.
Thanks for your rely, our ASHP is a Dream -ESDAW-22KW-3PH. Where would the serial number be?
Many thanks!

There are two versions of that machine a single and double compressor version. In both cases the compressor is a Toshiba scroll unit.

The serial number of the machine will be on the data plate.

What precisely is the issue / diagnosis you have with the unit? It is unusual (in our experience) for a Toshiba compressor control unit to fail.

Dream units are an amalgam unit assembled in China and imported into the UK by World of Bargains Ltd in Leicester.

We can source some Dream spares direct from the component manufacturer if you cannot get them from the importer. The lead time is normally 3 to 4 weeks.

We carry some Toshiba compressor parts - but only the ones that commonly fail.

There are two versions of that machine a single and double compressor version. In both cases the compressor is a Toshiba scroll unit.

The serial number of the machine will be on the data plate.

What precisely is the issue / diagnosis you have with the unit? It is unusual (in our experience) for a Toshiba compressor control unit to fail.

Dream units are an amalgam unit assembled in China and imported into the UK by World of Bargains Ltd in Leicester.

We can source some Dream spares direct from the component manufacturer if you cannot get them from the importer. The lead time is normally 3 to 4 weeks.

We carry some Toshiba compressor parts - but only the ones that commonly fail.

Hi thanks for getting back to me. The heat pump's controller has been acting up lately. The clock run's slow if at all and now the on/off button is stuck in stand by mode so I'm not getting any heat. I think I need a new controller, but I don't know where to get one as it would have to be programmed for my machine and therefore be compatible with my machine in the first place. Any ideas?

If it is a single compressor unit and assuming that you are only using the unit for heating, it can be converted to operate on a Honeywell control system, with a separate unit to control defrost.

To convert a twin compressor unit would be more challenging.

Cost wise, the parts are circa £500 ex Vat. Typical fitting £300 to £500 depending on the level of IP protection.

I would suggest that you try to talk to World of Bargains, it maybe that they can source a unit from the original supplier
[automerge]1581352133[/automerge]
If you PM me your contact details I can give you some options.

Are you sure that the control unit has not just got wet ( normally through condensation)?

When you say that the on/off switch is inoperable do you mean the left hand button on the bottom of the Dream Control unit beneath the LCD?

Apologies for the questions, but without the unit serial number we cannot determine which control unit is currently fitted and more importantly how it is configured.
[automerge]1581411848[/automerge]
Adrian,

After routing through our stock, we have a Chico control set fir a three phase Toshiba Scroll compressor ( as currently fitted to your machine) in stock. It is new and boxed, we imported it direct from Toshiba in July 2019

We would need the machine serial number to ensure that it is properly configured before dispatch.

£620 + Vat + delivery

We can also supply the add on wifi module for £124 + Vat

Fitting is straight forward as a like for like replacement - but the individual needs to be conversant / qualified to work on a three phase circuit.

Last edited:
If it is a single compressor unit and assuming that you are only using the unit for heating, it can be converted to operate on a Honeywell control system, with a separate unit to control defrost.

To convert a twin compressor unit would be more challenging.

Cost wise, the parts are circa £500 ex Vat. Typical fitting £300 to £500 depending on the level of IP protection.

I would suggest that you try to talk to World of Bargains, it maybe that they can source a unit from the original supplier
[automerge]1581352133[/automerge]
If you PM me your contact details I can give you some options.

Are you sure that the control unit has not just got wet ( normally through condensation)?

When you say that the on/off switch is inoperable do you mean the left hand button on the bottom of the Dream Control unit beneath the LCD?

Apologies for the questions, but without the unit serial number we cannot determine which control unit is currently fitted and more importantly how it is configured.
[automerge]1581411848[/automerge]
Adrian,

After routing through our stock, we have a Chico control set fir a three phase Toshiba Scroll compressor ( as currently fitted to your machine) in stock. It is new and boxed, we imported it direct from Toshiba in July 2019

We would need the machine serial number to ensure that it is properly configured before dispatch.

£620 + Vat + delivery

We can also supply the add on wifi module for £124 + Vat

Fitting is straight forward as a like for like replacement - but the individual needs to be conversant / qualified to work on a three phase circuit.

Hey Brambles, so what I've been able to do since yesterday is run the machine on default with the controller disconnected. You are correct, it's the left hand button I'm referring to. I've opened it up and all looks good but of course it's hard to tell for sure. But as I have the machine up and running currently without the controller connected I still consider the controller to be the problem.What do you think? As you can see I've attached a photo with the controller serial number.

Attachments

• IMG_20200211_101055200.jpg
    IMG_20200211_101055200.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 7
I am not sure what you have done with the power feeds to achieve that.

Are you running the machine without any of the sensors (T1 to T5) operational through the controller?

If so my advice is to stop it immediately.

The compressor must be run through the controller and the phase monitor ( for the electrical supply) The controller drives the phase monitor from the O1 output.

The compressor discharge sensor T4 drives the 4 way valve.

Both of those are key operational and protection devices.

If it is your machine - take a risk if you wish - if it is a customers machine you are taking a real risk of destroying (boiling) the compressor - whilst it is a budget machine, it is still a £3 to 4k unit to replace and instal.

Last edited:
I am mot sure what you have done to achieve that.

Are you running the machine without any of the sensors (T1 to T5) operational through the controller?

If so my advice is to stop it immediately.

The compressor must be run through the controller and the phase monitor ( for the electrical supply) The controller drives the phase monitor from the O1 output.

The compressor discharge sensor T4 drives the 4 way valve.

Both of those are key operational and protection devices.

If it is your machine - take a risk if you wish - if it is a customers machine you are taking a real risk of destroying (boiling) the compressor - whilst it is a budget machine, it is still a £3 to 4k unit to replace and instal.

Hey Brambles, thanks for your concern it's appreciated. But I don't think it should be a problem as the machine is running in default with all of it's sensors still operating . To put it in default mode I simply disconnected to controller then reset the breaker. You might agree that once the circuit board parameters are correctly set via the controller then the controller becomes nothing more than a clock to switch it on and off witch I can do remotely for the moment via an independent timer switch on my breaker panel. The photo I sent you, is it something your familiar with is it something you might have in stock?
Thanks again I very much appreciate your help.

The photo you have shown above is the back of the Chico RBXH LCD unit which has a three wire connection to the PCB. It can either be mounted on the unit, remotely, up to 30m away using the correct wire or through a WiFi connector.

The unit (the LCD display and button controls) is supplied with the PCB and configured to the specific type of compressor.

Normally, once you disconnect the control panel from the PCB the unit locks out.

In my experience, with these units your either replace the controller with a new PCB and control panel configured to the machine or opt for an aftermarket Honeywell control system.

My earlier note is the part for replacing the control unit with a newly configured PCB and LCD control panel. Conversion to Honeywell would require an on site presence or the unit bringing into the workshop.

If you question is “can you just replace the LCD control panel ?” In theory yes, but we have never been able to source the part and coding for a single phase machine. A three phase machine would be even more challenging.

Your machine is an older model, the current series of Chico RBX controllers won’t work on your machine.

Hope this helps you

The photo you have shown above is the back of the Chico RBXH LCD unit which has a three wire connection to the PCB. It can either be mounted on the unit, remotely, up to 30m away using the correct wire or through a WiFi connector.

The unit (the LCD display and button controls) is supplied with the PCB and configured to the specific type of compressor.

Normally, once you disconnect the control panel from the PCB the unit locks out.

In my experience, with these units your either replace the controller with a new PCB and control panel configured to the machine or opt for an aftermarket Honeywell control system.

My earlier note is the part for replacing the control unit with a newly configured PCB and LCD control panel. Conversion to Honeywell would require an on site presence or the unit bringing into the workshop.

If you question is “can you just replace the LCD control panel ?” In theory yes, but we have never been able to source the part and coding for a single phase machine. A three phase machine would be even more challenging.

Your machine is an older model, the current series of Chico RBX controllers won’t work on your machine.

Hope this helps you
Just to update you on how things are going. Everything is running well with no problems

Hope this helps you
Thought you might appreciate a quick update. All is well and working as it should without the controller connected. I have still been able to change settings such as return water temp. as needed by simply connecting the controller just for as long as it takes to input a new value into the parameters and then disconnecting it again. I think that I have sourced a replacement controller but I wont consider it job done until I receive and install it with the correct parameters inputted. If that fails then my next option would be changing out the PCB as well. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your rely, our ASHP is a Dream -ESDAW-22KW-3PH. Where would the serial number be?
Many thanks!

Hi thanks for getting back to me. The heat pump's controller has been acting up lately. The clock run's slow if at all and now the on/off button is stuck in stand by mode so I'm not getting any heat. I think I need a new controller, but I don't know where to get one as it would have to be programmed for my machine and therefore be compatible with my machine in the first place. Any ideas?
hi i know this nis an old thread, ust wondered if you managed to source a controller as i need one

Oddly we had an enquiry yesterday afternoon from some one with a Microwell ASHP - it is made by the same people who manufacture for Dream and Enerflow - a near identical issue to yours.

In this case moisture appears to have got into the control panel

I am posting here in desperation guys! I have a three year old 8kW Dream Heat Pump which has worked reasonably well so far but initially with two intermittent faults: faulty hot gas sensor and low water flow. The sensor fault turned out to be poor assembly (insulation damage during assembly) and the low water flow turned out to be a misaligned flow switch! Both faults were corrected easily and cheaply but yesterday a much more serious fault developed: the machine became stuck in coooling mode, as shown on the lcd screen and would not respond to the buttons beyond showing water temperatures and switching the unit on/off.

Being a retired heating engineer with some knowledge of heat pumps I disconnected the mode changeover valve from the board terminal and connected it to the water pump supply as it is powered for heating and unpowered for cooling. I then switched the heat pump back on and bingo, normal service was seemingly resumed, thereby ruling out a faulty valve. Keeping my eye on it, all turned out to be well until it needed to de-ice so I then swithed it off, disconnected the mode changeover valve from the water pump power, pulled the terminal off the fan contactor (to stop it running) and switched the heat pump back on and ten minutes later after de-icing was completed, reverted back to heating mode.

The operating mode is normally selected on the lcd screen but can also be selected on the main board by a wire link. However Removing it and remaking made no difference which suggests something on the main board has failed.

I have been in touch with Dream who informed me that they have no after sales service arrangements. They say the pump is now: "old, way out of warranty and the controller itself has been superceded". They say they could provide a new controller at a cost of £140.oo plus £20.oo delivery but with no guarantees as they say the fault could lie elsewhere which I think is unlikely as there are no other processors, everyting is either on the board or in the lcd device. At the moment I am waiting for an email from Dream confirming that they can supply a replacement controller, it's price and delivery.

To pick up on the previous post, Elechico (the control manufacturers) do say on their website that the controller can work without the lcd connected and this I can confirm to be be so. However in my case, it remains in cooling mode, unless I jump it as I previously said, and therefore can not defrost automatically. The actual controller is a CC305S-v2.1 but this has clearly been superceded as Ellchico website shows versions 3 to 6 but all are unpriced.

I have contacted, by email, the controller manufacturer in China (Guangdong Chico Electronic), via their website but have yet to receive a reply so I am seeking help from you guys. Does anybody have a Chinese sourcing contact or other ideas?

Incidentally, the heat pump has an electronic expansion valve so requires a controller which incorporates this feature and, other than the Chico ones, I have not been able to find one and I don't know what would happen if I fitted a controller without same.

Well guys, here's hoping, Charles (Heap), Anglesey

I am posting here in desperation guys! I have a three year old 8kW Dream Heat Pump which has worked reasonably well so far but initially with two intermittent faults: faulty hot gas sensor and low water flow. The sensor fault turned out to be poor assembly (insulation damage during assembly) and the low water flow turned out to be a misaligned flow switch! Both faults were corrected easily and cheaply but yesterday a much more serious fault developed: the machine became stuck in coooling mode, as shown on the lcd screen and would not respond to the buttons beyond showing water temperatures and switching the unit on/off.

Being a retired heating engineer with some knowledge of heat pumps I disconnected the mode changeover valve from the board terminal and connected it to the water pump supply as it is powered for heating and unpowered for cooling. I then switched the heat pump back on and bingo, normal service was seemingly resumed, thereby ruling out a faulty valve. Keeping my eye on it, all turned out to be well until it needed to de-ice so I then swithed it off, disconnected the mode changeover valve from the water pump power, pulled the terminal off the fan contactor (to stop it running) and switched the heat pump back on and ten minutes later after de-icing was completed, reverted back to heating mode.

The operating mode is normally selected on the lcd screen but can also be selected on the main board by a wire link. However Removing it and remaking made no difference which suggests something on the main board has failed.

I have been in touch with Dream who informed me that they have no after sales service arrangements. They say the pump is now: "old, way out of warranty and the controller itself has been superceded". They say they could provide a new controller at a cost of £140.oo plus £20.oo delivery but with no guarantees as they say the fault could lie elsewhere which I think is unlikely as there are no other processors, everyting is either on the board or in the lcd device. At the moment I am waiting for an email from Dream confirming that they can supply a replacement controller, it's price and delivery.

To pick up on the previous post, Elechico (the control manufacturers) do say on their website that the controller can work without the lcd connected and this I can confirm to be be so. However in my case, it remains in cooling mode, unless I jump it as I previously said, and therefore can not defrost automatically. The actual controller is a CC305S-v2.1 but this has clearly been superceded as Ellchico website shows versions 3 to 6 but all are unpriced.

I have contacted, by email, the controller manufacturer in China (Guangdong Chico Electronic), via their website but have yet to receive a reply so I am seeking help from you guys. Does anybody have a Chinese sourcing contact or other ideas?

Incidentally, the heat pump has an electronic expansion valve so requires a controller which incorporates this feature and, other than the Chico ones, I have not been able to find one and I don't know what would happen if I fitted a controller without same.

Hi

Thanks betagin, I found the same website yesterday and I would say it is definately the same CC305 controller and it is made by Elechico (see attached photo). However there is no facility to actually buy it, only to enquire which I did yesterday but, and I know it's early days, as yet no response, not even an acknowledgement of my email, hence my posting in the hope that someone on the forum might have gone through the same process and found a way to actually buy the controller. The intimated price is attractive so it would not be the end of the world if my money was wasted!

Attachments

• Chico-Alibaba-P4-Screenshot 2023-01-20 13.45.32.png
    Chico-Alibaba-P4-Screenshot 2023-01-20 13.45.32.png
    111.7 KB · Views: 2
Thanks betagin, I found the same website yesterday and I would say it is definately the same CC305 controller and it is made by Elechico (see attached photo). However there is no facility to actually buy it, only to enquire which I did yesterday but, and I know it's early days, as yet no response, not even an acknowledgement of my email, hence my posting in the hope that someone on the forum might have gone through the same process and found a way to actually buy the controller. The intimated price is attractive so it would not be the end of the world if my money was wa

I am hoping I will get a reply to my request betagin, early next week but I have seen a few posts for controllers so was hoping the way to buy would have been established.

Reply to Replacement controllers..... in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock