Search the forum,

Discuss Replacement boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

peteisfishing

Hi all, i have been asked by a customer to replace their boiler. Vented system but the pump is in the boiler itself. Can anyone recommend a replacement for this. I normally deal with combi's so not much experience with installing the heat only boilers but i don't want to put in a poor one. Also trying to avoid putting in a pump and 3 way valve because the customer is more than happy with her system and is a bit long in the tooth to be upgrading the whole thing.....cheers for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say the pump is in the boiler, is it an actual boiler part, or is it just plumbed in within the casing.Seen loads of these, usually on floor standers.

If they want to keep the pump internal to the boiler, then it will have to be a system boiler.The danger with going to a sealed system, as I am sure that you are aware, is that it can open up a can of worms, with leaking valves, fittings etc.If they really want to keep an open vented system, then relocate the pump.
What do you normally fit as a combi?
For heat onlys I like the Worcester RI, The GW and Broag Remehas.

IMHO, I would advise the customer to go sealed, I know it would involve an Ev and more work, but advise her on the benefits of sealed.

Graham

Just about every manu makes a boiler to suit eg Worcester15ri or Baxi Solo 15HE. Look for regular/heat only boilers. (The baxi doesn't need a pump over run so can be easier to wire.)
These boilers do not have a pump fitted inside and you will need to fit one external.

You don't give any information on the existing system. A lot of older boilers had room inside the case to fit a pump eg the baxi wm but this is not part of the boiler.
Some systems done years ago by companies like FEP just had a pump and no motorised valves. These will need to be added.
A system boiler with a pump inside is totally different.

The pump is part of the boiler, and there is a sort of 3 way valve fitted which is manual only and is a disc shaped thing, excuse me for my ignorance but i have never seen one before. i will go round and get more info on the system as the customer was on her way out.

thanks for the replies

Sounds like a old servo warm boiler and system,you are going to have to up date system to meet energy efficiency regulations,you can use a open vented boiler and fit pump outside with newly fitted controls

I agree it probably is a servowarm with the manual divertor. Check the pipes, they may be truewell. (never thought it would last so long but still come across some).

no easy way out with these everything is in the wrong place you will probaly find its all in half inch and the return from cylinder is plugged in to the heating somewhere obscure and possibly no main to exspansion tank or worse still no exspansion tank at all plus anything this old is going to be full of rubbish so whatever you decide fit a magna clean or similar

Il bet that it has gravity hot water circs, so your going to have to alter the pipe work to suit anyway...... so a Y or an s plan is probably not going to be much more work and as Puddles said really needs to be to to part L building regs.

Cheers all,
As is always the case the customer is short of cash... wold i still be complying with buildin regs if i put in a 3 way valve and a pump along with the boiler, i know it should have tank stat, room stat and trvs ideally, but would pump and valve suffice?

I am going to speak with her tomorrow and let her know......, hopefully she may go for a combi!!!

Cheers all,
As is always the case the customer is short of cash... wold i still be complying with buildin regs if i put in a 3 way valve and a pump along with the boiler, i know it should have tank stat, room stat and trvs ideally, but would pump and valve suffice?

I am going to speak with her tomorrow and let her know......, hopefully she may go for a combi!!!

Give her a realistic price and be done with it. what is the point in fitting a motorised valve without a stat? No point. The system needs upgrading she needs a quote if you can't make it work for you walk away and don't waste your time.

get her to get a quote off bg ,then you quote,you,ll get the job.try and sell the combi system,ie savings she,ll make compared to stored hot water,
you said she was short of money,get your salesman hat on.

That is exactly what i have done, husbad is ok to go for combi but needs to convince her that she will be ok without an airing cupboard.........waiting for an answer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacement boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock