Search the forum,

Discuss Replacement Boiler Duty Question in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have searched but couldn't find a similar recent question.

I have lived in my present house for about 30 years and have replaced the existing floor standing heat only gas boiler a couple of times. Each time it was a 23kW output, 29kW input boiler. The existing one is nearing the end of its life and I need a new one. I can't re use the existing boiler location as it doesn't satisfy current regulations. I have now found a wall mount location for a new heat only condensing boiler, flue through wall to outside space all in line with regs.

I have had two quotes so far to replace and install, however, the quotes tell me I only need a 19kW heat only boiler as new condensing boilers are more efficient. I thought a boiler being more efficient would impact the heat input not the output. In order for a 19kW boiler to produce 23kW output it would need to be more than 100% efficient. Or am I missing something?

I have searched but couldn't find a similar recent question.

I have lived in my present house for about 30 years and have replaced the existing floor standing heat only gas boiler a couple of times. Each time it was a 23kW output, 29kW input boiler. The existing one is nearing the end of its life and I need a new one. I can't re use the existing boiler location as it doesn't satisfy current regulations. I have now found a wall mount location for a new heat only condensing boiler, flue through wall to outside space all in line with regs.

I have had two quotes so far to replace and install, however, the quotes tell me I only need a 19kW heat only boiler as new condensing boilers are more efficient. I thought a boiler being more efficient would impact the heat input not the output. In order for a 19kW boiler to produce 23kW output it would need to be more than 100% efficient. Or am I missing something?
How do you know that the 23kW boilers were the correct size? Hopefully the two quoters carried ou a heat-loss calculation, which is why you have been quoted for a 19kW boiler. Ask them!

How do you know that the 23kW boilers were the correct size? Hopefully the two quoters carried ou a heat-loss calculation, which is why you have been quoted for a 19kW boiler. Ask them!
None of them carried out any calculations, they just looked at the existing boiler. I don't know if the existing boiler is the correct size, I only know that the existing boiler got us through some very cold winters when turned up to max. it's a 4 bed detached house.

If you haven't improved the insulation standards over the years you may legitimately have some concern.

Get another quote and ask them to confirm the size of boiler and show their heat loss calc. Try it yourself with a couple of online heat loss calculators it's not particularly difficult.

Reply to Replacement Boiler Duty Question in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock