Search the forum,

Discuss replace gas pipe ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

royston

Just a what if situation ive been thinking about. What if you went to a job to up size a boiler pipe. There was a cooker installed and a gas fire on different feeds. Now when you did a drop there was a leak within the permissible tolerances. So if you then upgraded the gas supply to the boiler and found that the drop was exactly the same as before, meaning the leak was not on your new pipe and on existing feeds with fire and cooker connected, what would your outcome be ?. Think i would investigate, trace and repair, or cap offending appliance.

Think i would investigate, trace and repair, or cap offending appliance.

You could if you wished but so long as it is within limits and no worse than it was before with appliances connected there is no requirement to do so unless there is a smell of gas.

best plan would be to discuss options with the customer, and hopefully they would agree that the "best" option would be to repair the leak, if not you mark on your paperwork "Tightness test PASS*" then mark down "*2mb found, no smell of gas, customer advised" then you are covered and they have taken an informed decision to leave the drop

well 1st thing i do when i get there is test the gas.. even if the leaks in the limits id still do my best to find it. This is because if you do the job and something happens later on and your the last one on site ppl will blame you even if its not your fault. i find most ppl want no leaks in there house.

I had something similar to this few months ago , checked gas before any works and had a slight drop but no smell of gas . Renewed boiler new gas supply etc completed job and same drop but no smell of gas .Had a search around cooker and fire sprayed few joints etc and customer asked what i was doing so said tiny drop on gas just seeing if i could find it .Instant panic alert by customer over what was about a 1 mb drop over test period. Never found the drop had a sniffer out the all the usuals and no joy . Had several phone calls over the next few weeks over this customer panicing over what he was saying was a full blown leak , he had gas board out and they found nothing . In the end i phoned gas safe as customer was starting to do my head in and gas safe advised to re-new all the pipework to appliances and retest .

The moment you tell someone there is a gas leak they panic, use your judgement and follow the gas regs. If its less than the permissable drop and no smell of gas, there is no need to investigate it.

The moment you tell someone there is a gas leak they panic, use your judgement and follow the gas regs. If its less than the permissable drop and no smell of gas, there is no need to investigate it.

Phone gas safe and tell them that because they advise otherwise .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to replace gas pipe ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Recently noticed a gas smell coming from my ideal classic RS50 boiler. Cadent have been out and confirmed a small leak and capped off the gas. The question I have though is that the gas smell only appears when the boiler fires up not when the pilot is burning normally. Gas smell continues as...
Replies
Views
All, Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am in a bit of a predicament. I have recently had a stove fitted in a chimney that had a disconnected and capped gas fire. The old gas line went straight out the back wall and was visibly capped a short distance from the gas meter. A simple pull out job. Upon...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon all, First time posting on this site. I’m need of some opinions from Gas engineers if possible. My house is 1930s (I think). I have some very old gas pipes sticking out of random places. Mostly nest to light pendants. This has made me believe it’s an old gas/heat/lightning...
Replies
Views
I have a domestic gas meter located at one side of my building and my boiler/cooker (only 2 gas devices) on the other side of the building. There is currently a 28mm gas pipe from meter to the boiler which is approx 25m and a further 5m to the gas cooker. My gas engineer is saying that the...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock