Search the forum,

Discuss Replace cistern mechanism in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, we moved into a new house a while back and the main toilet has a large cistern and no dual flush capability. It gets used most of the time rather than the single ensuite we have so I was wondering if someone can recommend a kit to replace the lever with a two button arrangement or other ideas please? Would this be possible for a novice like me or do I need to get someone in?

Here are a couple of pics to help...

Thanks, Phil

Attachments

• PXL_20220608_110110845.jpg
    PXL_20220608_110110845.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20220608_110104679.jpg
    PXL_20220608_110104679.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 9
Dudley turbo 88 or a fluidmaster pro siphon

Dudley turbo 88 or a fluidmaster pro siphon
Thanks Shaun, both as good then?

How does this work with a lever? Ideally I'd like two buttons so it's obvious but I expect it's press and hold for a long one while you watch and hope it all goes and short for a pee? I've got a couple of builder friends so will tackle this myself

Dudley and fluid are both the same

Full Flush: Depress and release lever.

Reduced Flush: Depress and hold lever.

Dudley and fluid are both the same

Full Flush: Depress and release lever.

Reduced Flush: Depress and hold lever.
OK thanks, I've ordered the Fluidmaster Pro based purely on the name!
I wish the short press=short flush and long press= long flush. It would be more logical as a sign or tuition will be needed for my lads 👍

Think it comes with a sticker

It's arrived and I've started fitting it, yeah!

Two problems potentially so any feedback gratefully received.

The bit that sticks out of the Fluidmaster is 1.5 inches diameter. My old one is 2 inches. I presume the big rubber washer will cope with that?

Secondly, the water comes in on the right making it v tight to fit the water valve assembly and the Fluidmaster pointing to the right as it shows in the instructions. Is this ok or will I have to get a professional in after all as I don't have the skills to move the supply to the other side?

Thanks

Thanks again Shaun, you've been v helpful. I think I'm at the point of starting to put the old flappy thing back sadly.

I need about 6cm lift to get the fluidmaster to flush but now the geometry with it on the left looks impossible. Am I missing a trick because if I bend it closer, the leverage won't work I think to get 6cm lift with the lid on?

I'm definitely not going to become a plumber....

Attachments

• PXL_20220612_193418106.jpg
    PXL_20220612_193418106.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 8
You need a new flush handle as your old one is only compatible with the flapper

You can bolt it / finish it off and test it via just pulling the c link up etc to get you by until you have chance to get a new flush handle etc

Reply to Replace cistern mechanism in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a wall hung pan with a concealed cistern. The flush is the "old style" Grohe Eau2 dual flush pneumatic button. When pressed the flush valve lifts lightly and closes giving a very short weak flush. You can manually lift the flush valve in the cistern and it moves freely, flushes fine and...
Replies
Views
I need to adjust the large flush button because water continues to run after the cistern has filled up and the button does not return to its proper position, it stays depressed. The small flush button is working OK. In which direction does the dual flush operating plate need to slide/be moved?
Replies
Views
I wonder if anyone is able to help with advice on this. We have fitted a new toilet and 6 litre cistern .. it flushes .. but not as efficiently as it should in my view. It usually needs at least 2 flushes to even shift just toilet paper. It hasn’t been used for anything other than that. It’s a...
Replies
Views
N
Hello Can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy a toilet which has cistern flush capacity (not sure if I have phrased that correctly) of more than 6LTRs? We previously had a Royal Doulton toilet which was accidentally thrown away when had the bathroom changed. New toilet is one of these...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, First time poster, go easy on me! My toilet cistern seems to be overfilling. It's a narrow plastic cistern (not important I imagine) and thankfully the overflow pipe is doing its job. The floating mechanism is working in that it's moving up and down, though it has a lot of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock