Search the forum,

Discuss Repairing taps at back of bath. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

A

Aire

Hi guys,
Went to look at a job yesterday where some tenants have been removed for not looking after the house. One of the things they've done and I don't know how is snapped the backnuts on the bath tap (deck mixer) so the tap just pulls out the holes. The taps are in the worst place possible at the back of the bath in a recess against an outside wall. Customer does not under any circumstances want the taken out, which leaves me the only option of sticking the taps down, which lets face it will last all of 10 minutes. The only positive I guess is as the bath wasn't pre drilled, the holes are nice and tight to the threads so only movement really is up and down. Apart from ct1 can anyone recommend an alternative. It's not really something I want to do but its more of a favour for a friend than anything.

What’s the wall with the taps on ?

Hi guys,
Went to look at a job yesterday where some tenants have been removed for not looking after the house. One of the things they've done and I don't know how is snapped the backnuts on the bath tap (deck mixer) so the tap just pulls out the holes. The taps are in the worst place possible at the back of the bath in a recess against an outside wall. Customer does not under any circumstances want the taken out, which leaves me the only option of sticking the taps down, which lets face it will last all of 10 minutes. The only positive I guess is as the bath wasn't pre drilled, the holes are nice and tight to the threads so only movement really is up and down. Apart from ct1 can anyone recommend an alternative. It's not really something I want to do but its more of a favour for a friend than anything.
My advice is to take charge, you are the expert here. replacement deck mixers are buttons. And dead easy to secure even if you can only get to the nearest side put a bit of sillycone under the tap body
Strong Plumbers hands will get the affair most of the way then a basin wrench will do the rest. Whats the bath plastic crap cast or pressed steel ...? Your job is to take charge and not be led on a little job like this....centralheatking

Are these taps at the end of the bath, or on the side?

FWIW, i have come across a LOT of plastic back nits which have split.
In the middle on the long edge of the bath, every plumbers nightmare, and while yes the backnuts could have split, the old tenants, didnt pay the rent, smashed the wardrobes and put holes through the doors too so she believes it's deliberate.

If the tap end of the bath is accessible its easy , we need a piccy
Cornwall not as battered as the BBC predicted..ok just read your latest..that is a bummer..but the tennants deposit will be void
so dont be too sorry ...they the owner should be insured as well ..new bath etc...its not your position to subsiduse the owner
just quote to get it back in order quick time then they can let it again
very soon...thats the name if the game.
centralheatking

Last edited:
If the tap end of the bath is accessible its easy , we need a piccy
Cornwall not as battered as the BBC predicted
No piccy, but here a diagram, nothing easy about it :p

Attachments

• 20190810_155359.jpg
    20190810_155359.jpg
    951.7 KB · Views: 36
I would agree with Shaun.
Tackle it from outside and take the existing bricks out (carefully so they can go back) to gain access.

Yep might be the only option :(
I wouldn't price it though!
I'm afraid that kind of work is charged by the hour and it takes as long as it takes to do it well and make it good afterwards.
The only other option would be to ask a bricky to remove and replace them and you just do the Plumbing.

I wouldn't price it though!
I'm afraid that kind of work is charged by the hour and it takes as long as it takes to do it well and make it good afterwards.
The only other option would be to ask a bricky to remove and replace them and you just do the Plumbing.
I may get her to get a bricky to remove the bricks, as she's a friend and it's a favour I want to be doing as little work as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it’s a deck mixer with a large area in contact with bath...

Could bend 22 copper with tap connector soldered on; lie it down, push to back then rotate up to tap holes.

Connect to tap, stixall the mixer to the bath. Then have 22 clips attached to batten which you slide under bath and screw to floor.

Then you’ll have clipped 22 at the front of the bath which should be able to join up to existing.

I actually think this would work..... but bricks out is a more definite solution.....

Cut a section out from the wall in the next room to gain access to the taps. Replace the cut out section with a pipe access panel.
Normally a table or some other piece of furniture will cover the access panel, if the customer doesn't want it on view.
Tap access panel.jpeg
Tap access panel.jpeg

Last edited:
Once you have gained access to the taps, you can fit tap shrouds to the bath. Basically the tap sits inside the shrouds and is fixed with an Allen key screw. It's easy to unfasten the screw and remove the bath tap for maintenance.
I fit these every time that the customer wants taps installed in the middle of the bath at the back wall. You'll need two long flexies to allow the tap to be removed.

Brass back nuts and a plastic washer or a piece or alu if it’s a plastic one

Never had a loose one yet

Think I would be telling them the bath needs taken out and put back in. It is a smaller easier job than coming in through the brickwork, surely?

Think I would be telling them the bath needs taken out and put back in. It is a smaller easier job than coming in through the brickwork, surely?

Depends tiling might need to be removed then if you break any and there coloured could end up re tiling

A tight bath in a three sided recess? Gonna loose some tiles.

Only chance is lower all feet down and push bath down then slide it out, but with bog and basin where they are- not much chance.

Thanks for responses guys, seems like the only option to do it properly is bricks out. I can't remove the bath without breaking the tiles and the customer simply won't have that, if it was a random customer I'd walk away but you know what friends are like ;). I was hoping there maybe some kind of miracle adhesive out there that bonds solid but it's not looking likely. I'll have to go back and tell her it's bricks out or nothing. Thanks again.

In the middle on the long edge of the bath, every plumbers nightmare, and while yes the backnuts could have split, the old tenants, didnt pay the rent, smashed the wardrobes and put holes through the doors too so she believes it's deliberate.

I thought you meant that, Craig, but it passed over everyone else.

I have always said it is the most ridiculous fashion, unless maintainence access is somehow provided

Fair comment about tiles. Still sounds crazy to come in through wall. Suppose we do it alot filling in the old holes in buildings. I may use this solution in the future, if plausible.

How would you support the hole that has been created from removing the bricks and blocks?
If you take them out correctly they won't need supporting, each brick supports half the brick above it so if you take out a diamond or triangle shape then the bricks will support themselves.

Yeah, for example, lintles don't take the weight of all the bricks above it, they support a triangular shape of bricks above it. so a lintle supports 10 bricks, those 10 bricks support 9 bricks and those 9 support 8 and so on until you get to 1, so theoretically you could remove that entire section of brickwork and the hole would be self supporting.

I might not have explained that properly but I know what I mean ;)

Yeah, for example, lintles don't take the weight of all the bricks above it, they support a triangular shape of bricks above it. so a lintle supports 10 bricks, those 10 bricks support 9 bricks and those 9 support 8 and so on until you get to 1, so theoretically you could remove that entire section of brickwork and the hole would be self supporting.

I might not have explained that properly but I know what I mean ;)
Didn’t know that mate, thanks ;)

I just stitch drilled the cement joints out and grind out the remainder once you get one brick out its quite easy dont go at it with a kango, its no different from bricking up a old style balanced flue the bricks will support themselves if your careful. Kop

I just stitch drilled the cement joints out and grind out the remainder once you get one brick out its quite easy dont go at it with a kango, its no different from bricking up a old style balanced flue the bricks will support themselves if your careful. Kop
I did think that mate but wanted it confirming;);)

Reply to Repairing taps at back of bath. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock