Search the forum,

Discuss Repairing plastic pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

The central heating in our house has been installed using 10mm Speedfit Barrier PB pipe.
I think there is a leak in the pipework behind some plaster board (dot and dab) as there is a damp patch on the plasterboard (looks like a nail may have been put through it).

If it is a nail hole, I guess I can cut out a section of plasterboard to access the area, but to repair the pipe can anyone confirm the best way of inserting a new peice of pipe without draining the system - can I freeze the pipe, or will it be safe to 'crimp' it while I insert the patch.

I have used freeze kits on copper before, but not sure if they work on Barrier, and I'm not sure if Speedfit Barrier PB will crimp and return to shape safely after being released.

Any experienced advice welcome.

Depending on your system - sealed or open vented.
There are ways of doing the repair, without spilling a litre of water, when inserting a couple of fittings.

Depending on your system - sealed or open vented.
There are ways of doing the repair, without spilling a litre of water, when inserting a couple of fittings.

The system is sealed - runs off a combi boiler.

Not good practice really though to have a fitting like that inside the wall.

I had thought of that, unfortunately without a major removal of plasterbaord and flooring I don't appear to have any alternative.

I wouldn't even be bothered to freeze the pipe.
Not a great task to drain the pressure and cut in a coupling.

As for good or bad practice - you would have concealed joints everywhere in your house.

I wouldn't even be bothered to freeze the pipe.
Not a great task to drain the pressure and cut in a coupling.

As for good or bad practice - you would have concealed joints everywhere in your house.
Do you know this definitely? Most likely yes, but can you say 100% and does that mean that he should actually do it that way?

Honestly mate, I wouldn't have a repair or a coupling inside a wall and would without any hesitation recommend that you drain the system down and replace that section of pipe back to where it's accesable to fit a coupling. A coil of 10mm speedfit is cheap as chips and you'll need a packet of supaseal inserts and a coupling. Don't forget to add inhibitor once you're refilling the system. Trying a repair is like using a sticking plaster and at some point it could come back to haunt you. As to crimping, it won't work with 10mm PEX as it will distort the pipe and may even cause it to crack. Crimping is for MDPE which is used for underground mains. Spend a bit of time on it, do it right and it should be permanent.

You may well be able to poke down a new bit of pipe without cutting into the plasterboard and join it where accessible.

I would try taping the new pipe to the old and then pulling it through, I have done this loads of times with cables, if there’s a free path it should work, if the old pipe is captured in a dab of adhesive - unluckyyyyy. But nothing to lose trying this before you start cutting into wall.

Reply to Repairing plastic pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone I hope you can help. We were getting some work done and our builder attached the boiler condensate pipe to the sink waste pipe. This was all then covered with dot and dab. Shown in the picture, red arrow. So the only thing visible now is a round pipe from the wall. We are yet to fit...
Replies
Views
D
small hole in plastic waste pipe which is the better fix ? Hi there need some advice please, i have drilled a small hole in the plastic waste pipe which serves the sink & shower in the loft when doing some work in the toilet underneath on the ceiling i have cut away the plasterboard to reveal...
Replies
Views
I've had a burst pipe under bathroom floor. Ive had it dug up and made safe with the affected pipe cut and end caps fitted. The pipes are cover with a plastic sheet and then screet on top. I called out my gas boiler cover to make a permanent repair. The company they sent out have said it is...
Replies
Views
Yes, it me again. I have a leaking compression joint that is connected to plastic pipe. I have now read elsewhere that it is not a good idea to connect plastic into compression joints. It DID have an insert in the plastic pipe. I decided to use plastic JG speedfit pipe in the compression...
Replies
Views
Hi All I'm planning on replacing a couple of rads soon as they are far too small for the size of the room causing the room to take an age to heat up but they are all connected via what I assume is Hep2O nothing is labled on the pipes that route behind the rad just on the flap behind the rad...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock