Search the forum,

Discuss Renewables training...... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint 1979

Gas Engineer
Evening all,

I've been approached by a renewables manufacturing company along with a heating engineer colleague of mine, to install their products, had a big meeting recently and to be honest it all sounds quite exciting to get involved with fitting and promoting some ingenious products!

What I am not sure about is the additional qualifications needed?? I currently have Unvented, 17th edition and part P and GSR.
I know I will at least need F Gas for Thermo Dynamic but what cat 1 2 3 or 4? and how much is this going to set me back??

Also would any of you recommend any additional courses?

I don't know a great deal about renewables but as a time served electro mechanical engineer (in a previous life), it is certainly an avenue I want to venture into regarding the technical and installation side of the coin!

Any advice is much appreciated

Clint

It seems to be the way forward, but personally, I think it all depends on your location? If you are in an area where new builds are springing up regularly, then you are quids in. In my area, why would anyone want to fit a so called renewables energy to their existing property which has a gas line running?

Let you young ones get on with it. As for me, gas is king

Clint , personally I would seize the opertunity mate, renewables are like garlic bread ........ The future

Clint, there are a number of threads on here about the various qualifications you need for renewable technologies. If you are going to be installing domestic systems, ie. biomass below 45Kw, ASHP, GSHP, and are going to be using the government incentives as part of your selling the products then you need to be MCS accredited which in itself is no mean feat. Lots of paperwork, ISO 9001 etc, you would need all the technologies units for MCS that you are going to be installing. Also would need to be HETAS registered to install biomass or solid fuel burners or log burners etc.

Thermodynaimc Panels are a sales hype they don't work in the UK, too many people being conned into buying them ..... - See the true report here: Thermodynamic panel test - Narec Distributed Energy

(they are an air source heat pump with no fan...)

You need a CoP >2.4 to be classified as renewable, plus just look at the figures - only slightly better than an immersion heater, oil, lpg and mains gas all cheaper to run..

Evening all,

I've been approached by a renewables manufacturing company along with a heating engineer colleague of mine, to install their products, had a big meeting recently and to be honest it all sounds quite exciting to get involved with fitting and promoting some ingenious products!

What I am not sure about is the additional qualifications needed?? I currently have Unvented, 17th edition and part P and GSR.
I know I will at least need F Gas for Thermo Dynamic but what cat 1 2 3 or 4? and how much is this going to set me back??

Also would any of you recommend any additional courses?

I don't know a great deal about renewables but as a time served electro mechanical engineer (in a previous life), it is certainly an avenue I want to venture into regarding the technical and installation side of the coin!

Any advice is much appreciated

Clint
What technologies does this firm manufacture? The gov. incentives should encourage more people to think about alternative energy but as they won't get a subsidy unless it is installed by MCS registered installer and it is an approved product the future of innovation is limited. You don't need to be MCS registered to install a ASHP if no grant is wanted. Go for it. You have unvented you may not need F gas depending on what products the are promoting.

What technologies does this firm manufacture? The gov. incentives should encourage more people to think about alternative energy but as they won't get a subsidy unless it is installed by MCS registered installer and it is an approved product the future of innovation is limited. You don't need to be MCS registered to install a ASHP if no grant is wanted. Go for it. You have unvented you may not need F gas depending on what products the are promoting.

Smudgie56, welcome to the forum, and we don't discriminate against girls either :)

In practice the extra costs of having an MCS certified installed system far outweigh the notional savings - one of the big reason for the MCS standards is that prior to them 95% of Heat Pumps were either designed or installed incorrectly - check out this report -
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ta/file/48327/5045-heat-pump-field-trials.pdf
and http://www.heatpumps.org.uk/PdfFiles/TheEnergySavingTrust-GettingWarmerAFieldTrialOfHeatPumps.pdf

and AFTER the MCS standards http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/sites/default/files/reports/TheHeatisOnweb(1).pdf
So simples, go for the quality label - MCS AND pick up a bunch of cash that will cover the additional installation costs :)

re Fgas - the spilt systems are quicker and easier to install than mono's and you don't need to fill the heating system with the extra costs of glycol (find me a monobloc manufacturer that will warrant a system without glycol in it...)

PLUS High Temperature heat pumps have recently been added to the RHI eligibility list so they do listen to innovation (albeit slowly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Renewables training...... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock