Search the forum,

Discuss Removing toilet tank from bowl (can't access bolts) in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. Would be really grateful for some help with this. I am trying to replace the fill unit in my toilet and the only way I can see that this would be possible would be if I could remove the tank from the bowl. However I can't seem to access the bolts to remove the tank. It seems to me that the whole toilet will need to be removed first which I loath to do. Am I making some mistake here? What can I do?

I’m guessing it’s a back to wall toilet if yes I’m sorry to say then yes toilet has to come out

Perhaps you could post photos of the valve (inside the cistern and the connection outside) and say why it needs replacing, all is not yet lost.

IMG20220805210341.jpg
IMG20220805210348.jpg
IMG20220805210500.jpg

So I glued that long piece which stops the water coming out back together. I need to find a replacement washer and then maybe I can just repair the fill unit. Hopefully I haven't caused any leaked or damaged anything else in the meantime. Does that sort of make sense or should I be doing something else? Thanks again.l for your reply.

I have a good experience in plumbing. In my home, I would run thru a checklist
1. Make ensure the shut-off valve is 100% open ( run it all the way off and all the way open )
2. take the supply line ( often flexible ) off before it gets to the toilet, grab a bucket, and flush this line - see if you are getting the ability to fill a gallon bucket quickly - your filling tank that is holding 1.6 gallons. Moreover, the last thing you have to hire a reliable plumber who finds out the root cause.

@Billibob first of all you need to check that the toilet is secured to the floor. If it is, then you should be removing the bolts at the base of the toilet on the floor. You may need to use a tool to remove the bolts if they are rusted. The bolts under the toilet are usually loosened once the toilet is removed rather than loosening the tank bolts.

Probably easier to buy a replacement valve and take the new parts off that.

Some parts for inlet valves are off the shelf, but by the time you buy a couple of parts, its cheaper to buy a whole valve assembly.

Reply to Removing toilet tank from bowl (can't access bolts) in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock