• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss Removing toilet tank from bowl (can't access bolts) in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Billibob

Hi. Would be really grateful for some help with this. I am trying to replace the fill unit in my toilet and the only way I can see that this would be possible would be if I could remove the tank from the bowl. However I can't seem to access the bolts to remove the tank. It seems to me that the whole toilet will need to be removed first which I loath to do. Am I making some mistake here? What can I do?

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
I’m guessing it’s a back to wall toilet if yes I’m sorry to say then yes toilet has to come out

rpm

Esteemed
Plumber
Perhaps you could post photos of the valve (inside the cistern and the connection outside) and say why it needs replacing, all is not yet lost.

Billibob

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

So I glued that long piece which stops the water coming out back together. I need to find a replacement washer and then maybe I can just repair the fill unit. Hopefully I haven't caused any leaked or damaged anything else in the meantime. Does that sort of make sense or should I be doing something else? Thanks again.l for your reply.

Attachments

frede77

I have a good experience in plumbing. In my home, I would run thru a checklist
1. Make ensure the shut-off valve is 100% open ( run it all the way off and all the way open )
2. take the supply line ( often flexible ) off before it gets to the toilet, grab a bucket, and flush this line - see if you are getting the ability to fill a gallon bucket quickly - your filling tank that is holding 1.6 gallons. Moreover, the last thing you have to hire a reliable plumber who finds out the root cause.

Reply to Removing toilet tank from bowl (can't access bolts) in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net