Search the forum,

Discuss Removing the collar shroud in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, firstly is there a shroud which is fitted to this tap?
If there is I'm finding it very difficult to remove. It's a deva monobloc tap.

Read something simiar that a rubber strap wrench may be required, however need to ascertain if the tap has a collar(shroud) as it is very difficult to see a joint. However the material is plastic rather than brass as
It has chipped a little.
Thanks
Pisces

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_142114.jpg
    IMG_20200606_142114.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20200606_135024.jpg
    IMG_20200606_135024.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 20
Yes it has a shroud.

This will either screw off or pull off.

I have spent ages trying to unscrew one only to find it quite easily pulled straight off. Pull off ones are ‘held’ by an o-ring which can get gunked up and then holds tight.

In either case (screw or pull) it can be helpful to pour some very hot water over it to provide a thermal shock- need to wear rubber gloves to then turn it as metal will be too hot to touch.

Can`t be certain from the photos however no harm in trying ..................... Pour boiling hot water over it to expand it a little bit then don the marigolds and try unscrewing.

If you are talking about the Baby Boa straps, don't bother. I find the rubber strap is elastic and prevents you from being able to get a decent grip. If they used reinforced rubber, they would work better, but I suppose the advantage of stretchy rubber is that you can't break the tool, because it slips instead. As RPM has suggested, rubber gloves are better. (I actually have a special grippy cloth thing that used to be someone's grandmother's).

You mentioned a rubber strap in the first post.
Ric, some are better than others.
Agreed. I once had (on loan) a canvas strap wrench that was very very good. If you know of a good one, please do let me know as it is a tool I feel I'm missing. The only ones I've ever seen on sale are the rubber Boa ones, sadly, and I can grip better with my hands than with the one I have!

Hi I have another dripping hot tap.
Got the cover off but the nut holding the gland is proving difficult or am I being too careful. Tap is trying to move when applying torque anticlockwise but I am holding the tap to counter act the twist. Also tried a socket but provinh stubborn, any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20200610_110335.jpg
    IMG_20200610_110335.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200610_110255.jpg
    IMG_20200610_110255.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200610_110141.jpg
    IMG_20200610_110141.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 12
If you can get a good fit with a ring spanner, that would be better than an adjustable here, (a lot of ring spanners are 12 sided and only really grip on the corners, so not always very good on brass, but some grip the sides and will work well). Sockets can be good, but sometimes a bit clunky and not always ideal.
I also like to lever between the spout and the spanner (soft bit of wood as a lever), or pull them together.
By the way, that's not technically a gland nut, but it's the one you need to undo, so what you call it doesn't really matter.

Tried the ring spanner, better fit as suggested, but still no joy tried with more force but can feel tap trying to turn in my other hand which is trying to restrain it.
Paying £35 for a one time use for a tap splitter seems a waste really.

Set the spanner close up to the spout so it becomes like handles on a pair of scissors when they close (hope that makes sense). Try and start close together so you bridge both with both palms and fingers.

I think I know what you mean in affect mimicking the tap splitter but using hands, but this stil will introduce independent forces which will work against each other rather than together. Will the tap splitter tool work on this type of tap, can't find many examples of it on a modern tap

Yes, mimick the splitter that is what you want, the two to come together. If you had a third hand then a wack on the spanner with a hammer at the same time might help to shock it loose.

The tap was fitted in 2002, and has only just started to leak. I8 years of solid state but how this affects the sink and tap spout is difficult to predict given the forces required to undue it, might have to bite the bullet and try the tap splitter.

Agreed. I once had (on loan) a canvas strap wrench that was very very good. If you know of a good one, please do let me know as it is a tool I feel I'm missing. The only ones I've ever seen on sale are the rubber Boa ones, sadly, and I can grip better with my hands than with the one I have!
Just to update, managed to eventually get the cartridge out but the base of the unit remained in the tap. New spares ordered.

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_173616.jpg
    IMG_20200625_173616.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200625_180934.jpg
    IMG_20200625_180934.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 8

Reply to Removing the collar shroud in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Please can you help. I’m trying to replace the cartridge on our monobloc kitchen mixer tap. I’ve found the secret hexnut and removed the handle cover, but can’t get the shroud ring to budge. So far I’ve tried lots of WD40, descaler (vinegar, lemon juice, oust) & boiling water. Unfortunately it’s...
Replies
Views
Hi there, my shower runs hot then cold then hot then cold... To prevent i keep my combi boiler on low hot water temp setting. Tested all other taps etc and they're stable (can be consistently very hot if needed). Suspect thermostatic temp cartridge knackered in shower. Want to replace but cant...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to replace the washers in a 1960's bathroom that has BBC (Barking Brassware Company) basin and matching bath taps fitted. Having difficulty in working out how to remove the tap handles that resemble a very chunky 4 pointed design. There's a small grub screw on one of the 4 sides...
Replies
Views
Hello. Trying to remove cistern from bowl, however, nuts are rusted and one in particular is difficult to get to due to other pipework. I have applied rust remover and lubricant. Any other advise greatly appreciated. Carried out a temporary repair to waste pipe leak, now requires a more...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am looking for some advice regarding the diverter on my bathroom taps. Please see attached picture. The diverter lever is very stiff and difficult to move, so I want to remove it but I have never serviced these types pf taps before so am not certain what is inside. So, my first question...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock