Search the forum,

Discuss Removing radiators for decorating in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Looking at redcorating our whole house so was wondering whether it's better for the CH system to do it one by one or remove them all at once and then put them back all at once?

Should radiators be removed for decorating room by room and then once the room has been decorated to replace it., refill the radiator and then move onto the next?

Depend on what system you have.

If it’s a Combi then do them one at a time so that you maintain ability to have hot water.

On other types of system it may be easier to drain central heating once, then remove/replace each rad as you get to it and finally refill once at the end.

It all depends on what your renovation plans are.
Are you doing it room by room or the whole house?
If the whole house, you will have no heating during the process.

Are you planning to remove the heaters yourself or getting a contractor in.
It will cost a lot more if you're going to get a contractor in to remove each panel individually and install it again, if you're planning room by room.

Silly question:Does the central heat system also need renovation? Has it had corrosion inhibitor in or are radiators full of sludge. Otherwise I'd personally only remove them where you have to e.g. re-tiling. Note extended handle mini rollers to paint behind radiators. Are you doing all the job this summer ? (When no heat required?). If take the radiators off, then assess their condition for corrosion, whilst off the wall (look underneath if pressed steel)

Depend on what system you have.

If it’s a Combi then do them one at a time so that you maintain ability to have hot water.

On other types of system it may be easier to drain central heating once, then remove/replace each rad as you get to it and finally refill once at the end.

Sorry needed to add, I don't need hot water as the house is empty, I wanted to save a bit of money by prepping the walls and removing the wallpaper before I bring in the decorators.
[automerge]1590664401[/automerge]
It all depends on what your renovation plans are.
Are you doing it room by room or the whole house?
If the whole house, you will have no heating during the process.

Are you planning to remove the heaters yourself or getting a contractor in.
It will cost a lot more if you're going to get a contractor in to remove each panel individually and install it again, if you're planning room by room.

I am doing the whole house. I don't mind getting a contractor in to remove the rads from the whole house. I just was wondering what is the best way to go in regards to not damaging the CH system.
[automerge]1590664588[/automerge]
Silly question:Does the central heat system also need renovation? Has it had corrosion inhibitor in or are radiators full of sludge. Otherwise I'd personally only remove them where you have to e.g. re-tiling. Note extended handle mini rollers to paint behind radiators. Are you doing all the job this summer ? (When no heat required?). If take the radiators off, then assess their condition for corrosion, whilst off the wall (look underneath if pressed steel)

It's a good question. The Boiler is about 3 years old - the rads themselves I believe are about 20 years old. System was flushed and inhibitor was used as far as I am aware.

Yes want to decorate the whole house over the summer - no one is living there at the moment. So having heating is not an issue. I was planning to prep the walls before the decorators.

Just an update. I have decided that its better long term to remove wallpaper and reskim the whole house - more expense but better finish.

So plasterers have said they will remove the rads and skirting boards and do a full reskim. Some walls they said it would be better finish to add plasterboard and reskim.

If reboarded- would I then have to have the rads replumbed? as they may not fit back onto the wall as its not about 10- 15mm in?

Reply to Removing radiators for decorating in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock