Search the forum,

Discuss Removing olives on 10mm plastic pipes in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,
My first post and many thanks in advance for any help offered. I am currently upgrading my CH system by fitting Honeywell eco home Wi-Fi enabled thermostatic valves to my radiators. I have completed about 10 or so without any problems other than replacing some of the existing valve bodies due to water leaking past the spindle (possibly a result of the old valves not being operated for an extended period). At this point I will add that my CH pipework to the radiators is 10mm plastic and these are secured to the valve bodies using "standard" 1/2" back nuts and 10-15mm brass olives. Needless to say, these are stuck fast. That said, as the old and new bodies were directly interchangeable I was able to get away with re-using the existing back nuts and olives. However, I have two radiators that were never fitted with TRVs and these have fittings with a smaller back nut that prevents me from simply reusing them with the new TRV body. I am struggling to find any advice on how to remove the olives from said 10mm plastic pipes so I can replace the back nut and refit with a new 10 to 15mm olive. I don't have any leeway with the pipes, so shortening them is not an option, and all the olive cutters / removal tools I have researched seem to be for 15 or 20mm copper pipes. Any ideas?

Any ideas?
I'm not sure that removing the olive from an old piece of plastic pipe is going to leave the pipe in good enough condition to refit a new valve and be confident that the seal will be okay. You should at least have a contigency plan to renew the pipe if it turns out to be necessary.

I'd try quite hard to find valves that match the existing fittings to avoid removing the olives. If that proved impossible, I'd carefully chose the radiator(s) where access to replace the pipe is going to be easiest remove the olives there and move the valves to the trickier location(s).

I'm not sure that removing the olive from an old piece of plastic pipe is going to leave the pipe in good enough condition to refit a new valve and be confident that the seal will be okay. You should at least have a contigency plan to renew the pipe if it turns out to be necessary.

I'd try quite hard to find valves that match the existing fittings to avoid removing the olives. If that proved impossible, I'd carefully chose the radiator(s) where access to replace the pipe is going to be easiest remove the olives there and move the valves to the trickier location(s).
As a professional I don't have a problem with cutting an olive.

You usually cannot use olive cutters or olive pullers on plastic pipes.
The olive tends to bury deep into the pipe, so splitter won’t reach deep enough into olive.
Use a junior hacksaw to cut the olive at about 45 degree cut and go carefully so not to cut into the plastic pipe or your hands. It isn’t easy and blade will mark plastic badly if it slips.
Flat blade screwdriver with thin blade to split the olive and always replace with copper olives.

Plastic inserts are now quite common in plastic pipes so can the new olive fit over the end of the plastic insert as these have a fairly hefty lip on the end, assuming of course that the old insert cannot be pulled out of the existing pipe.
[automerge]1579344824[/automerge]
Plastic inserts are now quite common in plastic pipes so can the new olive fit over the end of the plastic insert as these have a fairly hefty lip on the end, assuming of course that the old insert cannot be pulled out of the existing pipe.
Apologies, no problem in pushing olive on over the existing insert, I've just tried it.

Last edited:

Reply to Removing olives on 10mm plastic pipes in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock