Search the forum,

Discuss Removing old heaters? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm looking to buy a house that has an old heating system:

heaters.jpg

These are in every room of a 3 bed house. I presume these are gas heaters and each of them do vent through the back of the heater through the wall to outside. They look old and pretty dangerous. How much should I expect it to cost to remove these?

I will eventually be getting a combi with full central heating system but I'm just looking to "make good" and get rid of these for now until that work is done at the end of the year or early next.

You will have no heating in the meantime?
They look like Baxi Brazil is heaters.

A fairly straight forward job for a gas safe person to disconnect.

I'm looking to buy a house that has an old heating system:

heaters.jpg

These are in every room of a 3 bed house. I presume these are gas heaters and each of them do vent through the back of the heater through the wall to outside. They look old and pretty dangerous. How much should I expect it to cost to remove these?

Cost will vary depending where you are, and obviously making good to each one. As per @scott_d They do look like Baxi Brazilia’s.

You will have no heating in the meantime?

A few of them look to be pretty knocked about, the other half seems convinced they are about to explode and blow the house up. Although I'm not quite as extreme a few of them do look a little on the unsafe side, I'll be renovating the house for quite a few months anyway and have plenty of electric heaters to keep the place warn during that time.

Would there be the possibility that a gas engineer could cap off the gas supply just after it enters the house? There are no other gas appliances in the house anyway and the new combi would eventually be where the gas enters anyway. I could then remove these myself? I'm just thinking I could pay the gas engineer for the skilled stuff and do the grunt work myself.

Thanks!

Would there be the possibility that a gas engineer could cap off the gas supply just after it enters the house? There are no other gas appliances in the house anyway and the new combi would eventually be where the gas enters anyway. I could then remove these myself? I'm just thinking I could pay the gas engineer for the skilled stuff and do the grunt work myself.

Thanks!

I don’t see a reason why not, it can be capped at the meter. However you need to make sure that all of the pipe is removed as Ann unsealed pipe that has held gas can seep the odour out leading to a false leak/smell of gas.

They won’t normally be dangerous and are actually excellent heaters - the best of the type. They look like the more recent ones. But yes, get a RGI to cap the pipe appropriately and remove and make good yourself.

Reply to Removing old heaters? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock