Search the forum,

Discuss Removing a radiator with a compression fitting between valve and radiator tail rather than a union fitting in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I am replacing some radiators and using new fittings. Most radiator valves now come with a compression interface rather than a union interface to the radiator tail. It seems to me that it would be rather difficult, if not impossible, to remove a radiator at a later date for decorating when the interface is a compression fitting. The length of tail into the valve housing would seem to impede the easy removal of the radiator. The only way that I imagine it might be achieved is if the radiator tail is not pushed fully home into the valve housing and the joint completed with the olive right at the end of the radiator tail which one might feel is not good practice. Or, am I missing the point ? Could it be that this more recent type of valve/tail interface is designed to be fitted in this manner? Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes, it’s not exactly an improvement in design. If you have rads where there is no play in the pipes then you would be wise to use union valves - they are still available.

Can get away with just a union lock shield, typically gives enough play.

You don’t have to insert the tail all the way. I’ve also had rads where I’ve had to cut 10mm off the tail.

The tails are sturdier than 15mm copper pipe, so you can get away with the olive closer to the end.

Many thanks to Ben-gee and Timmy D for their advice. Radiators are in and working fine with the olives close to the end of the tails.

Reply to Removing a radiator with a compression fitting between valve and radiator tail rather than a union fitting in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock