Search the forum,

Discuss Remove towel radiator bleed valve in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

We moved into a house a couple of years ago and inherited some "interesting" plumbing throughout.

Today's problem is that the bathroom towel radiator that wasn't heating up, so I looked at it and guessed that pushing in the "button" on what appeared to be a bleed valve would bleed it. Sure enough it did. Unfortunately water then started coming out of the bleed hole and wouldn't stop, so I've had to turn off the radiator altogether to stop the leak and maintain central heating system pressure.

Maybe I'm just being thick, but I can't work out if this valve is supposed to be removeable/replaceable, and if so how I should go about removing it. I've never seen a valve like it and I can't find any markings on the radiator to research the brand, etc.

Any ideas on what I should do next? Should I just try harder to twist this off with a wrench? It's round, so the wrench teeth are going to shred the brushed finish on it but if I'm able to replace it then that's not really a problem.

Pics attached.

Regards,
Ben

Attachments

• 20221005_163802 (Medium).jpg
    20221005_163802 (Medium).jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20221005_163811 (Medium).jpg
    20221005_163811 (Medium).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 20
Never seen one either!

I’d try prising off that round ring, I expect there might be a hex or pair of flats underneath.
Don’t go mullering it yet until you know you can replace it!

Never seen one either!

I’d try prising off that round ring, I expect there might be a hex or pair of flats underneath.
Don’t go mullering it yet until you know you can replace it!
I couldn't prise it off!

Good news is that I located the manufacturer and model after some Googling around (VogueUK IN007) and got in touch with customer services to enquire about this. They sent me the following:
You can remove that push-in air vent by isolating the unit from the heating system and unscrewing the air vent anticlockwise with a set of grips. You can replace it with a standard 1/2" BSP air vent. We no longer supply those push-in air vents; we dropped them 8/9 years ago.
I'm guessing this is what I'll now try to do.

Is there anything I should specifically do / not do / be aware of when attempting this? The radiator is already turned off, so in theory I'm good to go.

I'm reasonably handy but is it worth having a plumber come out and deal with this in case something goes wrong, or is there really not much risk?

If both valves are shut off you’ll be fine.
It’ll be under a bit of pressure but you’ll only lose a little water, have pot/old towel to hand.
As it’s on the underside of that top bar I expect there’ll be some air above it anyway.

Doesn't matter here as your not keeping part but a wet rag over it should help grip without scratching up the finish.
I always add a little silicone grease to o-ring if new one has rubber seal

We're now back to the original problem, I can't get the thing off! 😆

Now I know it's removable (in theory) I've taken my wrench to it, but just can't get enough grip/leverage. All I'm doing currently is making a mess of it (not that it matters, aside from needing to vacuum up all the shavings).

Aside from getting better/more wrenches (which I'm going to do next) is there anything else that might help me get it loose? I'm worrying that it might have corroded in place.

Thanks.

I've got a set of mole grips, which if nothing else will at least be useful again at some point, and that's helping with the grip (as you'd hope) but still not shifting.

My dad suggested heating it up, and if it was attached to exposed copper I probably would use the kitchen torch or something, but there's nothing exposed and it's too close to the (nicely finished) towel rad for me to be comfortable with that approach.

It’s not left hand thread is it ?

Honestly, more elbow grease!
Turns out this was the answer. I came back to it just now after having given up last week and resigning myself to getting someone out and did manage to get it off. Replacement fitted and added some silicone grease (already had in stock from another job) as per the above.

Brownie points now earned and didn't end up spending much on getting it done either as a bonus. Many thanks for support and suggestions.

Attachments

• 2022-11-24 15.58.30 (Large).jpg
    2022-11-24 15.58.30 (Large).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 8

Reply to Remove towel radiator bleed valve in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock