Search the forum,

Discuss Removal of redundant gas pipe in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys, I am not a gas engineer but would like advice on a job I have been quoted. There is a high level gas heater that has to be taken out of service, around 5mtrs up. There is a chance we will want to re-instate it in a year or two so the unit will stay in situ. The room is used for storage and no one goes in there so the heater is never used but I understand that if the unit stays live it must be serviced every 6 months which means emptying the room then putting everything back. The final gas connection is from an isolation valve to the unit via a flexible hose and I thought it was merely a case of isolating the valve, removing the flexible connection and capping off the pipe at the isolation point? The guy pricing the work has allowed to strip back the steel pipe, around 8mtrs to a second isolation point in the same room, where the gas supply enters, again, around 5mtrs up. Please be aware this is a room within a warehouse type building and the gas pipe in question then runs around 70mtrs back to the main pipework with no branches off.

I asked why we cant just cap off at the local valve and was told "regulations" and something to do with being unable to leave a live pipe in place but when I asked what the difference was between the 8mtrs he intends to strip out and the other 70mtrs of the same run I could not get a satisfactory answer.

Is the guy genuine and this is a regulation, if so why can the other 70mtrs be left in situ or are my pants being pulled down?

TIA

Attachments

• 20200124_132647.jpg
    20200124_132647.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 30
As you have taken the advice of a GSR engineer why doubt ...these engineers are highly experienced and heavily regulated just suck it up. Why mess with your home safety for maybe a few £
Centralheatking

As you have taken the advice of a 'Registered Professional Gas Engineer' engineer why doubt ...these engineers are highly experienced and heavily regulated just suck it up. Why mess with your home safety for maybe a few £
Centralheatking
Thanks for the response. My query lies in why only some of the pipework needs removing but the rest is OK? If anyone knows of the regulation being referred to I would be most grateful, then I can read it and
satisfy myself.

Are they a commercial gas safe engy ?

fine to leave the line in just Decom from the lever valve in the gas meter room / at the start of the run to the heater lever valve

then cap off the high level line

All joints, valves need to be accessible, pipes will need to be purged of air. The area containing gas pipes need to be adequately ventilated. These are a few regs off the top of my head but the IGEM regs are very long and detailed.
Just from a common sense POV, having a live gas pipe which has screw joints and valves in a room that is used for storage would get me quite interested in the buildings overall safety.

having a live gas pipe which has screw joints and valves in a room that is used for storage would get me quite interested in the buildings overall safety.

may I ask why it would ?

Sure, lets say its steel threaded pipe and lets say there are say 6 joints in the pipe within the room. Lets also say that the room is used for storage and getting access to the pipe work is typical of clients who dont understand a gas guy needs to be able to inspect each joint (at some time) . The room is kept shut (perhaps with no ventilation) .
Lets also say one of the joints is leaking slightly (not unusual from my experience with large steel pipe) - there is no one who is going to smell gas as the room is not used , a drop test could be a year away and in that time the room is filling slowly with gas. Then someone many months later needs to go into the room and switches the light on..... Boom

Its not a fantasy scenario.... I would want it capped outside the room.

There's no difference capping at the heater iso valve and capping within same area, there is still live pipework in the unoccupied area and it will still need any screwed joints testing annually as per guidance.

The simplest way is as per Shaun cut it off 70mtrs back, fit and iso valve on the main pipework, if there isn't one already, and cap the outgoing pipe to the heater.
Of course that'll mean purging is involved, but there would have been in the proposed plan.

Is this 70 m run going back into a commercial gas installation which is to be kept in use apart from this one room, or is the whole gas installation to be taken out of use including the primary meter?

Each job must be taken on its own merits and if an experienced commercial gas installer has seen it, then he may be aware if things that we are not. Can you give more detail of the whole installation and what it supplies?

In 35 years I have seen the aftermath of two domestic gas bangs. Each time thankfully everybody survived. THEY were not my work or my boys. The sheer devastation caused is beyond imagination.
People got burned and properties made uninhabitable. In this case as it’s old and been added capped and a mixture of pipe...JUST take it out replace with a suitable network. Then everbody can sleep at night. Centralheatking

Sure, lets say its steel threaded pipe and lets say there are say 6 joints in the pipe within the room. Lets also say that the room is used for storage and getting access to the pipe work is typical of clients who dont understand a gas guy needs to be able to inspect each joint (at some time) . The room is kept shut (perhaps with no ventilation) .
Lets also say one of the joints is leaking slightly (not unusual from my experience with large steel pipe) - there is no one who is going to smell gas as the room is not used , a drop test could be a year away and in that time the room is filling slowly with gas. Then someone many months later needs to go into the room and switches the light on... Boom

Its not a fantasy scenario.. I would want it capped outside the room.

very unrealistic tbh if it’s not leaking now it won’t, only factor would be corrosion / damage eg forklifts if it was tight when it was installed

as for inspection when have you inspected every joint on the line other than you looking for a leak etc (after a tt or st) very very rare as most joints are inaccessible eg below floors, in walls, high up

Hi guys, thanks very much for all your responses they are much appreciated. I think ShaunCorbs advice makes most sense to me in that cutting an iso valve at source and purging would make the whole run safe rather than 10% which was the reason for my enquiry.

Thanks for your input "Last Plumber" and apologies for not giving full details, the gas comes into the building at one end and there is a mains pipe that runs through one of the garage areas approximately 120mtrs and serves a boiler which could not be positioned further away from source if they tried! There used to be high level gas heaters along the route which are now all isolated. As described, the run across to the store room is a sub branch off the gas main that runs about 70mtrs at high level to the stores area.

Sorry to Bacon sandwich as my description was incorrect in that when I said no one goes in there it was in reference to using the heater, as in "no one is based in there". People are going in and out through the day for things and the room is a garage area, well ventilated and approximately 10mtrs by 8mtrs and 8mtrs high, if that makes a difference.

Thanks again everyone for your contributions.

Reply to Removal of redundant gas pipe in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock