Search the forum,

Discuss Remote sensor trv working or not. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

moonlight

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Not used or come across these before. Went to look at a radiator today. Not working. It has one of the sensor trvs on it. I can't get my hand into the boxing to take head off. Do these have a pin in the valve like a usual trv. They are arranging a builder to dismantle the radiator housing. The carpet will need to come up, never seen anything like that before. So many screws holding it together. I don't know what make it is, but it has been boxed in for 10 years at least.

Yes just a standard trv with an remote head that normally has two Allen key set / grub screws holding it on

Do you have a pic of the remote part ?

Yes just a standard trv with an remote head that normally has two Allen key set / grub screws holding it on

Do you have a pic of the remote part ?
Sorry no. I can't even get my hands on it. Boxed in. Can just see it if I lay down on my front and peer under the inch gap at the bottom of the boxing.

Sorry no. I can't even get my hands on it. Boxed in. Can just see it if I lay down on my front and peer under the inch gap at the bottom of the boxing.

The stats left in the boxing no external?

Everything in the boxing. Nothing external. It was working last year but not this, no one has adjusted it you can't get you hands on it.

There should be a dial somewhere normally like a room stat approx within 3m of the rad

There should be a dial somewhere normally like a room stat approx within 3m of the rad
This is over 10 years old. I looked at one of the other rads that had similar boxing etc. No external controls dials or otherwise. There is a wire attached to what feels like a trv and following the wire to as far as I can reach is s very small oblong shape no more than 2 inches long and 1 inch wide no buttons or anything. No covers are removable without major de- constructions. After Christmas job I think.

This is over 10 years old. I looked at one of the other rads that had similar boxing etc. No external controls dials or otherwise. There is a wire attached to what feels like a trv and following the wire to as far as I can reach is s very small oblong shape no more than 2 inches long and 1 inch wide no buttons or anything. No covers are removable without major de- constructions. After Christmas job I think.

And the other end connected to?

Hello moonlight,

The Remote Sensing TRV should have a thin capillary tube running away from it to a position away from the Radiator with a temperature sensing bulb at the end which is usually clipped into a small plastic bracket / box with a lid then clipped onto the front that has small gaps allowing for air temperature sensing.

These sensing bulbs can fail after a period of time or get damaged as can the capillary tube making the TRV completely ineffective.

As The Radiator is boxed in a normal TRV / TRV head would be no good so You will need to either find a compatible TRV with remote sensor - fit the Head and run the sensor tube etc. to a suitable position away from the Radiator.

Or ideally renew the Remote Sensing TRV including the Valve [plus run the sensor tube etc.] as you know that it has been fitted for a long time and the pin will almost certainly not be as free as it once was.

Chris

Hello moonlight,

The Remote Sensing TRV should have a thin capillary tube running away from it to a position away from the Radiator with a temperature sensing bulb at the end which is usually clipped into a small plastic bracket / box with a lid then clipped onto the front that has small gaps allowing for air temperature sensing.

These sensing bulbs can fail after a period of time or get damaged as can the capillary tube making the TRV completely ineffective.

As The Radiator is boxed in a normal TRV / TRV head would be no good so You will need to either find a compatible TRV with remote sensor - fit the Head and run the sensor tube etc. to a suitable position away from the Radiator.

Or ideally renew the Remote Sensing TRV including the Valve [plus run the sensor tube etc.] as you know that it has been fitted for a long time and the pin will almost certainly not be as free as it once was.

Chris
I know how they work. Just not fitted any. Any fool knows the remote should not be in the same compartment as the radiator. All I wanted to know was do they have pin like an ordinary trv. Didn't need the whole history. 🙄 Did you read the rest of the posts?🙄🙄

I know how they work. Just not fitted any. Any fool knows the remote should not be in the same compartment as the radiator. All I wanted to know was do they have pin like an ordinary trv. Didn't need the whole history. 🙄 Did you read the rest of the posts?🙄🙄

Hello moonlight,

What an ungrateful abrupt reply - I was genuinely trying to be helpful with my description.

I did read your messages but having seen your description of There is a wire attached to it etc. I did NOT think that you knew how the Remote Sensor TRV`s work regarding the capillary tube [not wire] and sensing bulb.

Did you read the rest of the posts ? - how You think that your messages conveyed the fact that You are knowledgeable about these very simple Remote Sensor Radiator TRV`s is beyond me - specifically this description:

Quote:

No external controls dials or otherwise. There is a wire attached to what feels like a trv and following the wire to as far as I can reach is s very small oblong shape no more than 2 inches long and 1 inch wide no buttons or anything.

End of Quote

As I wrote - that wire is a capillary tube and I am assuming that the object that you describe as a small oblong shape is the sensing bulb or the small sensor housing / box.

There is a pin on the TRV valve just like a normal TRV - there is a gas within the Remote Sensing Bulb and capillary tube and at various temperatures that expands within the capillary tube and exerts pressure onto the TRV pin to close the valve.

However - the Householder / Room user needs to be able to access the TRV head in order to be able to set the desired Room temperature just like any other TRV and obviously the remote sensor has to be run to a position away from the Radiator.

It might surprise You to hear that not all Gas Engineers / Plumbers know these details about Remote Sensing TRV`s - and your descriptions above made me think that You were not fully aware of the operation of them regarding the capillary tube / sensing bulb etc. - and I was correct.

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to Remote sensor trv working or not. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I am trying to fit a Hive Radiator valve into my existing TRV valve body to make them automatic so have bought a Hive valve to try it out. I have done this before in another install but the valves were Danfoss and directly compatible with Hive. I am looking for an adapter that will be able...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Hello, We had an extension built seven years ago. Initially the builders' plumber connected the heating to the house system but this didn't work. The builder got him out again and he created a separate heating circuit from the boiler (ie one circuit for the house, the other for the extension)...
Replies
Views
I have an issue with the faucet (Franke Atlas Neo Sensor) and it will require it to be sent back to the manufacturer. However I have an issue with disconnecting the hoses from the control box (Franke control box). The hoses plug into the control box without screwing, they're simply pressed into...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I thought I'd come to the experts and see if anyone is installing and/or recommending the use of any Smart TRV valves? Particularly in large(ish) solid wall houses. I live in a 1920's arts and crafts house - it's about 2000sqft, not massive, but it's approx 25% larger on the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock