Search the forum,

Discuss Relocation of outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kbh1984

Hi all, I'm really after some advice with regards to some work I have had carried out in my kitchen, basically having new kitchen fitted and needed some pipes moved to accommodate new kitchen. So outside tap which was on its own stopcock has been removed and outside tap has now been put into main water supply but only way off isolating it is to turn off the mains water. Basically before tap could be isolated on its own now it can't. I've been reading up on this and can't get a straight answer as to me it doesn't comply with regs as no isolation valve or double stop valve. Builder says that because its an alteration doesn't need to comply. But my argument is that it's all new pipe work therefore you haven't altered any off the old pipework. And before I could isolate the outside tap and now I cannot unless I isolate all water at the main isolation valve. Any advice would be greatly received.

Many Thanks
kbh1984

If fitting new garden tap from scratch it will require isolation valve and double check valve(seperate from tap and inside building). If existing tap it can have a garden tap incorporating a double check valve( will need frost protection), but if practicable fit the DCV inside.

Also need an iso valve.

Pipe running through the wall will also require sleeving.
Sorry for many individual responses....had a few days off and brain is on holiday!

The plumber has basically removed old tap and pipework and put in new pipwork and tap, he's saying this is an alteration so doesn't need to comply with regs is this correct. To me it's no alteration as everything has been moved, and now can't isolate outside tap, without isolating all water.

Or just buy a non conforming bib tap and back plate - from your local plumbers merchant
tell nobody ! - cost about £10.00 Ray Stafford

For what it's worth, here's my setup.

SAM_0278-2.jpg

What he has done is not correct, but there's no special police to report to.
more than that is the fact that you HAD an isolation valve that you used and now you don't. Tell them to forget about complying with any regs and to comply with YOU, the paying customer.

For the sake of an isolation valve and one assumes sleeving and non return this is pretty petty but not unexpected from the builder/kitchen fitter. As others have said there isn't a policing body that would be interested but bear this in mind for the next work you need. The pain with no isolation is in a very cold winter when the outside tap freezes and you have to lose all water to stop the leak as you have guessed. Post in the plumber wanted section here and someone will be able to rectify.

Any work both new & alterations on existing systems must comply with the Water Regulations, so write to your contractor & ask them to install it correctly with both isolation & a double check valve inside the building (thermal envelope).
As far as reporting a contravention of the Regulation there is a "Policeman" & that is your Water Undertaker (Water supplier i.e. who you pay), they have the power to issue an enforcement notice to get it corrected.
G15-20.jpg
R15.21

While the Regulations are not retrospective appropriate measures must be taken against any known situation where there is a potential backflow risk from hoses. The offence will be deemed to have been committed when the hose was attached and not when the tap was first installed.
Where an outside tap is being installed in a new location, a double check valve (Type EC or ED) should be provided and fixed inside the envelope of the thermal insulation of a building.
Where an existing outside tap is being replaced:
a. If practicable: a double check valve should be provided on the supply to the tap and should be located inside the thermal envelope of the building; or
b. where it is not practicable to locate the double check valve within a building the tap could be replaced with;
(i) a hose union tap that incorporates a double check valve (Type HUK1); or
(ii) a tap which has a hose union backflow preventer (Type HA) or a double check valve (Type EC or ED) should be fitted and permanently secured to the outlet of the tap.
In the case of ‘b’ in weather when the air temperature is likely to drop below freezing, the supply to the tap should be turned off at the servicing valve and the hose tap left open to drain water from within the double check valve.
The above may help you make your point they are all extracts from the Water Regs Guide - even if they argue that they were not replacing the outside tape & as there is no DCV inside there must be one built into the tap outside (b.) you now cannot isolate the tap as required in cold weather.

Last edited:
Totally agree with Mr Watkins

It's the "plumber" being either ignorant or lazy or both.

He may have had issues with space but I cannot see any situation that you could not somehow fit all the correct components.

He is now reluctant to return because you have paid the money and it will cost him time to rectify for which he will not get paid for.

I say so what? What contract did you have with the plumber? verbal direct? was he subcontract to kitchen fitter/builder?

Let us know and we can advise you of next steps

Russ

For anyone who is thinking of employing a plumber even if it is through a builder, a bit of advice, there is now a free scheme for finding a plumber who understands what is required to comply with the Water Reg's (Law) they have completed training & been assessed, they also carry insurance.

https://www.watersafe.org.uk
It is worth it to avoid problems like those above.

(& for all those plumbers out there who have not signed up, check it out on the same site, it free for you as well:eek:mg_smile:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Relocation of outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock