Search the forum,

Discuss Releasing recessed holding nut to replace ceramic cartridge on watersmith tap in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I've been trying to find out how to release the retainer nut on a watersmith (Screwfix) mono bloc basin mixer tap. It does not have a hex nut but rather a recessed nut with two flat pieces opposite each other and elliptical the test of it. No space for grips, adjustable spanners etc. I've looked for mono bloc spanners, even have one already which is hex shape and 27mm. It needs to be 28mm I think and I'm not sure if there's a special tool or there for the job. There are similar mono bloc spanners with hex one end and two flat parts the other but I can't find one big enough online. The cartridge is 33mm. Little space between the nut and tap body. This is after pop up shroud had been removed. Nothing else comes off the tap body. Screwfix people who do their Q & A don't seem to know their own taps and can't help. I'll attach a picture of the recessed nut. Am I missing something here? Some simple thing. Or is this a problem for others. Couple of plumber friends don't know and just day they would replace the tap on is entirety. There are two of them so cartridge change will be about a tenner as opposed to two taps at £100+ Can anyone help me? Thanks

Attachments

• 20210807_153923.jpg
    20210807_153923.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210724_164904.jpg
    20210724_164904.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 26
Tbh I think you will find the cartridge will be around 20 each plus the tool around 15 not worth the hassle

I was gonna say, cartridge for a fiver - unlikely.

In answer to your question - I would get an old screwdriver/chisel and using a hammer drive the retaining ring anticlockwise - a couple of blows will put a dent/slot into the soft brass which you will then be able to locate the blade in and knock it round.
I have done this a few times, but like the lads say - usually replace the tap.

In answer to your question - I would get an old screwdriver/chisel and using a hammer drive the retaining ring anticlockwise - a couple of blows will put a dent/slot into the soft brass which you will then be able to locate the blade in and knock it round.
Thanks. Sounds about the only way. I have already bought the cartridge for a fiver btw do if I can get the retainer nut out it'll save me £45 per tap. That's a fair whack to me. Thanks again

Ps to add to first reply, the ceramic cartridge is separate to the retaining nut so I'll be having to get it bask in again after changing the cartridge. Is your method still what you would suggest? I want sure if some cartridges had the retaining nut as one piece, that is with its own hex nut?

Thanks. Sounds about the only way. I have already bought the cartridge for a fiver btw do if I can get the retainer nut out it'll save me £45 per tap. That's a fair whack to me. Thanks again

Any link to these cartridges?

Yes, use this method then just knock round clockwise to refit - I would cut a small notch into the ring with a hacksaw once it’s removed, slightly angled to aid knocking around as you will need to get it quite tight. Cut this notch in a different position from the one created in removing the nut.

Reply to Releasing recessed holding nut to replace ceramic cartridge on watersmith tap in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock