Search the forum,

Discuss Registration info in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Discreet-Heat

Hello all , thinking off going self employed and just wondering how to go about going gas safe registered is it worth it and what like are the fees paperwork etc.

No so much of the case as to is it worth it. If you are going to do gas work you must be Gas Safe Registered by law. They will required proof of competence before anything. (Current ACS certificates). I think with the application fee and first years registration its about £428, and you do get the full year. You go on a 3 month probation, where you are expected to list all gas work carrid out, so the GSR inspector can have a look at the work. Have a look on the gas safe register web site for an application.

think they are a bit busy to at present, you have to cock up to warrant a visit

is there a certain amount of jobs you must complete in the 3 month probation period ?

I'm not sure as there was no probation time when I started. I think if you carry out a decent amount of jobs the inspector will probably only look at 3 or 4 of them, probably even less if they are up to scratch.

Hello all

You can find a bit more information on how to go about getting registered and what will happen in the first few months here:

[DLMURL]https://engineers.User PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it.co.uk/Registration.aspx[/DLMURL]

And although oldplumber may have been talking in jest, it is worth pointing out that we do operate a 'risk-based' inspection regime which means that those who are working without encountering any problems will probably not have their work inspected as often as someone who we think may need more attention. This may be because we have identified some concerns on earlier inspections, because of complaints or simply because the type of work they do.

We also conduct ranndomised inspectiosn to ensure we are getting a good cross-section.

Hope this helps.

GasSafePR

Last edited by a moderator:
you already have your acs i presume? its always worth being gsr and good on a cv

I have just got my GSR and the inspector is comming to visit me in a couple of weeks he would like to see a possible 3 of my jobs on the day of his visit, if he cant get to see any of my jobs through my customers not being in or what ever he will rebook a time where he can see them.

As GSR are following this thread, it might as well be said. You are no better than CORGI were, in fact you do less, Your inspectors are crunched into nothing more than getting as many inspections completed to meet KPI's. This risk based inspection is a little bit exagerated. you respond to it but are are not proactive enough. The easy way to get inspections completed is by notified work. I thought it was only the good guys who notified. So this indicates your inspection system is looking at all the safe work. I don't mind how you run the register, I do mind exagerated PR and spin, about how good you are and how well you have all done, it may work on the Goverment and HSE but it do'nt work on me.

after being in the plumbing game for 7 yrs and being around heating engineers and working for merchants and working for myself for the last 3 yrs i bit the bullet and went in for my acs that was a year and a half ago its was really difficult to get anyone to help as they all say your compatition against them evenually i met a crackin gas engineer having paid out £8000 up to now and passed my portfollio i have my acs stuff next week so hopefully i will be ok ive learnt loads and i thought i already new lots but since found out i didnt so good luck to anyone trying to do it

gas safe pr ive done my acs because i dont want to take any risks in peoples houses and you always get asked to do other jobs when your a plumber cos i work with gas safe reg people ive been ok cos they do it for me but there are loads doing it without being gsr but you dont get to find out untill something goes wrong b&q and plumbers merchants can sell gas fittings to anyone which to me is wrong ,why have a scheme like the gsr and have to pay nearly £9000 and hours of studying to get there when someone can buy the bits and do it with no checks cos there ilegal and ye go in the plumbers merchants and hear them chatting all a bit odd to me

Hi All
It's like everything in life those who are honest, do all the exams etc are the ones who will always be pennalised, for example thanks to a so called minority who speed on the roads, we all have to suffer speed humps, camera's, benfit thevies the list goes on, basically those who want to work outside of the laws always will not forgetting the dodgy customer who wants a cheap job.
So want do you do regulate, regulate the good and on the odd occasions catch the bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Registration info in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock