Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Safe Engineer doing a foreigner - what should I ask? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

My step mother has had several quotes for a boiler replacement.

The first one was from Homeserve as she had boiler insurance. This quote is a minimum of 30% higher than the other quotes she has received when you add in the fact that it is for installation only (boiler is free!!).

One of the alternative quotes (the cheapest by £500) is from a Gas Safe registered Engineer (this is at the moment an assumption) but one doing a foreigner from his day job.

I would normally recommend that she sticks with a company but she wants me to check the guy out and see if there is any problem with using him.

What should I ask him, what are the pitfalls, should I steer clear and if so why.

I'm not sure how the Gas Safe registering works and if it is for the individual or the individual working for a company. Do you have to have public liability insurance if you do self employed installs?

I want want to dismiss the guy completely before I know what I'm talking about.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The first one was from Homeserve as she had boiler insurance. This quote is a minimum of 30% higher than the other quotes she has received when you add in the fact that it is for installation only (boiler is free!!).

One of the alternative quotes (the cheapest by £500) is from a Gas Safe registered Engineer (this is at the moment an assumption) but one doing a foreigner from his day job.

I would normally recommend that she sticks with a company but she wants me to check the guy out and see if there is any problem with using him.

What should I ask him, what are the pitfalls, should I steer clear and if so why.

I'm not sure how the Gas Safe registering works and if it is for the individual or the individual working for a company. Do you have to have public liability insurance if you do self employed installs?

Go back to HS and ask for a breakdown. If boiler is free then take it higher and complain to trading stds. Why should she pay for something shes insured for?

If you go down the route of the engineer not the company, just ask him if he can register the new boiler , if he says yes , ask him if he has his his own registration . Some companies allow , some dont .
If he says he hasnt got his own reg he can not register the boiler , but he may have a mate that
“ signs it off “ , which in the eyes of gas safe is illegal.

TBH I would stay away from the guy doinging it on the side too many variables eg is he qualified out of work hours , does he have insurances, are you going to be able to get hold of him if anything goes wrong etc

There are many gas safe registered engineers out there that work for a company not for themselves and any gas related work they do is for that company only. Unless they actually have their own individual registration license that covers them on their own then they would be working illegal. And & would not be insured or be able to register the boiler to building control & the warenty would also be void along with your house insurance if anything was to go wrong. If you ask to see his id badge and it is in a company name he can still do the work but only if the company will allow it and they invoice you taking the responsibility on their shoulders. If it is in his name the your good to go. Hope that makes sense.

Read the above and walk away this plan is so full of holes and unknowns why compromise your step mother, unless she is a wicked one. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

How much is the cheap quote?
What boiler will be fitted?
What extras will be fitted eg boiler plus controls, magnetic filter?
We can probably tell straight away if it’s legitimate or dodgy

I work with someone who uses company registration for work and has his own for foreigners. He’s a good lad. So similar to what Darren stated, as in he isn’t working illegal. However look up his registration on gas safe website the you’ll know.

Simple answer is ask for Gas Safe card. You always should. If it’s in his name then you’re ok. If it’s in his company name then you will likely have issues

The problem with someone doing it on the side is.

Even if they do have there own gas registration if they dont register it you wont have any come back on them as usually it's all cash and no receipt. If you use a company or sole trader then they will give you a receipt/invoice and you have some proof they have done work in your house if you have any problems you have some comeback.

Y
The problem with someone doing it on the side is.

Even if they do have there own gas registration if they dont register it you wont have any come back on them as usually it's all cash and no receipt. If you use a company or sole trader then they will give you a receipt/invoice and you have some proof they have done work in your house if you have any problems you have some comeback.
You will then be trying to find someone to ‘sign it off’ and either no one will touch it with a barge pole or you will end up paying more than it would have cost to do it right first time.

I get asked all the time to commission a boiler I always answer the same. Yes no problem that will be £500.00.

They always say i was expecting £50.00 then i say i will be held responsible for the boiler if there are any issues so I'm going to charge you what i would make off the install.

Funnily enough I've not had 1 person take me up on the offer.

I find people are very short sighted when it comes to cash jobs. My girlfriends grand parents had a flat roof redone. They paid cash and the bloke said "I wish I'd have known you were paying cash I would of done it 20% cheaper as I'd of taken the vat off but as I've already done the invoice I cant"
Of course now they are annoyed as they could of saved just over £200 and I turned around and said what does it say on the bottom of your invoice your roof has a warranty of 2 years on workmanship and 12 years on materials so now you are covered for any problems no invoice no proof your roof has been done by them no warranty.

It's the same with boilers they come with long warranties why pay cash and run the risk of losing that just to save a couple of hundred quid

TBH I would stay away from the guy doinging it on the side too many variables eg is he qualified out of work hours , does he have insurances, are you going to be able to get hold of him if anything goes wrong etc
While I don’t disagree with the essence of your post, how can you not be qualified some of the time

Because it’s the law.
Your level of Qualifications, Experience and Training doesn't change.
Liability for the work done is the issue.

I am nit arguing the point of the post, in that there are inherent risks in employing someone doing PJ's, but I don't see how your QUALIFICATIONS vary day to day. As opposed to memberships of trade bodies etc.

I am nit arguing the point of the post, in that there are inherent risks in employing someone doing PJ's, but I don't see how your QUALIFICATIONS vary day to day. As opposed to memberships of trade bodies etc.

If it’s not your reg your not licensed to do gas work outside company time

but I don't see how your QUALIFICATIONS vary day to day. As opposed to memberships of trade bodies etc.

Your qualifications don't vary day to day.

No additional qualifications or assessments are required for an additional registration with Gassafe.

I think we can agree that Shaun meant that some engineers aren't registered to work in gas outside of their employment hours. While he said qualified instead of registered, it was obvious what he meant.

Hi Everyone, thanks so much for all the great information.

It is pretty much how I thought things should work.

It seems that he would be legitimate if:

1) He is Gas Safe registered in his own name (I need to see and check his ID for this!)
2) He provides an invoice for the work in his own name.
3) He registers the boiler (How would I check this?).

As I said in the OP, I have already told my Step mother that I would not recommend using someone doing a foreigner but I wanted to make sure I was not discounting a perfectly legitimate tradesman who is legally allowed to do the work on his own time just because it sounded dodgy. Now I have the facts.

(3) ask him for proof of registration normally the boiler manufacture emails you saying its reg

also building control registration proof

also if its a combi boiler hows he going to do the boiler plus requirement

Because it’s the law.
which law exactly? The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 state that you must be a competent person to work on gas appliances. The Gas Safe Register is not mentioned in any UK legislation, being on the register is a good way to prove that you are a competent person.

We all know that if you work for a company, then you are covered by there gas safe card. If not, you need your own. Gas safe are the governing body. They dictate who is competent or not. Take it up with them.

which law exactly? The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 state that you must be a competent person to work on gas appliances. The Gas Safe Register is not mentioned in any UK legislation, being on the register is a good way to prove that you are a competent person.
The gas safety (installation and use) regulations 1998 also state that anyone working on gas must be a member of a hse approved class of persons, which currently is the gas safe register.

only competent person scheme atm is gas safe

By this definition there's nothing wrong with his use of the word "qualified".

"having complied with the specific requirements or precedent conditions"

Reply to Gas Safe Engineer doing a foreigner - what should I ask? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock