Search the forum,

Discuss Refilling vented central heating problem? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crompton

Had to change a motorized value (MV) and followed the plumbers instruction on how to do it -
turn off power supply, and main stopcock then drained system etc then change MV.

However I am now having problems refilling system - closed bleed valve on top rad and main main bleed on the system, then opened stopcock - header tank refilled.

Downstairs rads have water, but upstairs do not. No cold water going to toilet or bath. Water from hot water taps running at a tickle.

My plumber is away on holiday - what do I do now to fix the problem. can you help?
Thanks
Crompton

Open Vent systems can be a right PITA to refill, have you tried venting the upstairs rads with the pump running?
This may have been a job for a plumber mate ;)

Had to change a motorized value (MV) drained system etc then change MV.

However I am now having problems refilling system - closed bleed valve on top rad and main main bleed on the system, then opened stopcock - header tank refilled.

Downstairs rads have water, but upstairs do not. No cold water going to toilet or bath. Water from hot water taps running at a tickle.

If your plumber told you how to drain and refill the system, how come you have no cold water going into the toilet or bath? What has toilet or bath got to do with your central heating?
FYI, the two are not related. Chances are you did turn off valve feeding bath & toilet and now have an air lock, or forgotten to open that valve?
- As for the central heating/rads, drain down again and refil with mains pressure from a drain valve (should have one attached to one of the downstairs rad
- Asfor bath and basin, you may have a (now) seized gate valve. In which case you have to replace it (SORRY), OR
- You can back fill using washing machine or kitchen mixer tap.

See, it's not as easy as your plumber made out, but if you are prepared to brave it/sort it yourself, you can do it. C'mon, lets see you do it. Oh, the satisfaction is imeasurable, honest.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO you too.

Last edited:
Had to change a motorized value (MV) and followed the plumbers instruction on how to do it -
turn off power supply, and main stopcock then drained system etc then change MV.

My plumber is away on holiday - what do I do now to fix the problem. can you help?
Thanks
Crompton
Hi, call another plumber in

open the motorised valve manually prior to refilling this time, and if possible use a drain off cock on the ground floor to refill the heating system. re the taps, refill with the hot taps open so they run before you turn them off, you can do the same with cold taps that arent mains fed.

doesnt seem to be much festive goodwill left here apart fm villages encouragement

dont know any plumbers who are working at present, I'm on holiday :)

I'd rather it was done right rather than him flooding his house just before new year ;)

You only want to see him flood his house when he tries to fill from an old doc downstairs.........and hes upstairs waiting in anticipation with his vent key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Refilling vented central heating problem? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
R
Hello its my 1st post hope im in the right place We brought a new house a medium-large 3 bedroom semi, we moved in the summer. Now coming to winter we started putting the central heating on. The central heating has a mind of its on it’s really strange iv never experienced this We put the heating...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My property is a 3-bed terraced with double glazing windows... It currently has no central heating, so I will get a new combi fitted shortly... However, I will be putting in the central heating. My question is, is it still necessary to have a lockshield on the hall rad? I assume that...
Replies
Views
My father has a parkray fire which has a back boiler . He had a leaky radiator, when he was attempting to fix leak the circulating pump (grundfos) was making a rattling noise this stopped once the radiator leak was fixed ( he lost a fair bit of water ) . The problem being now is that the...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock