Search the forum,

Discuss Refiling megaflow cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nickms

Basicly i drained down the cylinder as it was intermitantly flowing water through the overflow, i came to refilling it so i opened up the valve and it isint refiling, although i can still get water out of the hot taps. can anyone help me out?

if you are getting water out the hot taps it has filled
you would not have drained cylinder,you just turn propably just turned water supply off ,turned taps on and opened presure release valve (valve it was leaking from)when water stops out of taps and presure valve stops dripping ,you close pr valve and taps ,turn water supply back on and open taps again ,water will come through within a few seconds,all you have done is reprime internal air bubble to stop dripping from 'overflow'not drained cylinder

if you are getting water out the hot taps it has filled
you would not have drained cylinder,you just turn propably just turned water supply off ,turned taps on and opened presure release valve (valve it was leaking from)when water stops out of taps and presure valve stops dripping ,you close Page Ranking valve and taps ,turn water supply back on and open taps again ,water will come through within a few seconds,all you have done is reprime internal air bubble to stop dripping from 'overflow'not drained cylinder

Ok but the cylinder is empty as i can rock it gently, thats what i cant get my head around so i dont see how the tank has filled.. ?

Anyone? really need this sorting asap

Last edited by a moderator:
are you sure it is a megaflow system ? or do you mean just a mains feed to taps system,as some ie glenhill have a ball valve at the top to fill cylinder,maybe stuck,in this case you would have water through hot taps,this would be cold via the bleading valve
The ballvave fills the cylinder,this water is heated and heats tap hot water through internal heat exchanger

are you sure it is a megaflow system ? or do you mean just a mains feed to taps system,as some ie glenhill have a ball valve at the top to fill cylinder,maybe stuck,in this case you would have water through hot taps,this would be cold via the bleading valve
The ballvave fills the cylinder,this water is heated and heats tap hot water through internal heat exchanger

Its definatly a megaflow, we are getting roasting hot water even though all electric is off and the pipe at top of megaflow is roasting also. Bit worried to sleep in bedroom as its directly above. does this mean that the tank hasnt filled ifit can be wobbeled?

If you have hot water out taps,cylinder is full,can be heated by electric or through gas boiler,you may be able to wobble it,though you should'nt
However if you are not sure or feel uncomfortable about siduation, get the system checked,it should not be messing about with,all you should do is follow repriming instructions on side,if this is what you did all will be ok

If you have hot water out taps,cylinder is full,can be heated by electric or through gas boiler,you may be able to wobble it,though you should'nt
However if you are not sure or feel uncomfortable about siduation, get the system checked,it should not be messing about with,all you should do is follow repriming instructions on side,if this is what you did all will be ok

The thing that baffles me is that the boiler or immersion hasnt been on for hours but this water is still coming out very hot. also the tank does feel empty it really doesnt make sence how im getting water out of it but the tank is empty

Have you ever tried to wobble it before? If hot water is coming out of the taps it can't be empty. When you "drained" it if all you did was shut off the water and open a hot tap you left the cylinder full of hot water.

Mike

Have you ever tried to wobble it before? If hot water is coming out of the taps it can't be empty. When you "drained" it if all you did was shut off the water and open a hot tap you left the cylinder full of hot water.

Mike

never tried before as never had a problem before. we let it run till no more water came from the tap then turned it back on. Thats what i dont get as water comes from tap but cylinder feels completely empty

Hi Nickms
As puddle and mike jackson have told you, if there is water coming out of the hot tap then the cylinder must be full. if your worried about the cylinder and its temperature, then its time to get a profesional in. when was your system last insepected, becuase like a boiler unvented cylinders are supposed to inspected annually.
Regards
Mike

Hi Nickms
As puddle and mike jackson have told you, if there is water coming out of the hot tap then the cylinder must be full. if your worried about the cylinder and its temperature, then its time to get a profesional in. when was your system last insepected, becuase like a boiler unvented cylinders are supposed to inspected annually.
Regards
Mike

Yes think its best just wanted to get as much sorted myself so it wont cost me an arm and a leg to get some one out on a sunday. i just cant see how ifits full and weighing 250kg that i would be able to wobble it with my finger. also the boiler and immersion havnt been on since around 6 yesterday, is this normal to still be getting hot water? even though i have since before i opened tap and let it run out and alledgerly refilled it and its still coming out hot water.
sorry finding it hard to explain and put it into words

Hi nickms
when you first turned the water off and drained the tank, did you put a hose pipe on to the bottom of the tank? if not and you only opened the pressure temperature relief valve about 3/4 up the tank, then you only took off the hot water off the top of the cylinder, there will still be hot water in the tank. the cold feed is at the bottom of the tank, so when you turn on the mains again the remaining hot water will rise to the top. if you are worried that it is still getting power to the immersion, take the top off the immersion and put an electrical tester on to the live terminal in the immersion.
If there is still power there, with the switch turned off you will need an electrician to.
regards
Mike

Hi nickms
when you first turned the water off and drained the tank, did you put a hose pipe on to the bottom of the tank? if not and you only opened the pressure temperature relief valve about 3/4 up the tank, then you only took off the hot water off the top of the cylinder, there will still be hot water in the tank. the cold feed is at the bottom of the tank, so when you turn on the mains again the remaining hot water will rise to the top. if you are worried that it is still getting power to the immersion, take the top off the immersion and put an electrical tester on to the live terminal in the immersion.
If there is still power there, with the switch turned off you will need an electrician to.
regards
Mike

I didnt drain it from the drain off, i follwed instyructions on the cylinder to stop it overflowing, so opened T&P valve and hot top, when it stopped i turned the water back on and opened tap untill water came out constantly.
Just another thing, if i can get water to come out of the t&p valve does that mean that the water level is higher than that inside? as ifit is then i know that it has water inside and i can turn boiler back on etc as its still off

Hi Nickms
if there is water coming out of the taps or the t&p valve then yes it is full. is it still dripping.

Yes i have water running from hot tap, and when i turn t&p valve there is water running from there. sorry to be a pain just was a little worried about leaving it last night

no worries
here to help if you want to see something interesting go on you tube and type in exploding unvented cylinder, very intersting in deed.
regards
Mike

no worries
here to help if you want to see something interesting go on you tube and type in exploding unvented cylinder, very intersting in deed.
regards
Mike

So ifit is running from tap its definatly filled? and im ok to turn everything back on?

yes you can turn it back on, if the pt valve is still dripping it will need replacing, if the water is flowing out of the ptv like a turned on tap, then turn it all off again.

yes you can turn it back on, if the pt valve is still dripping it will need replacing, if the water is flowing out of the ptv like a turned on tap, then turn it all off again.

do you mean if i turn the valve and its flowing out then turn it off, or do you mean when it does it itself?

if when it is all on and working, and the ptv starts flowing like an open tap on its own then turn it off and call for help. if its just dripping a little then it should be ok.

if when it is all on and working, and the ptv starts flowing like an open tap on its own then turn it off and call for help. if its just dripping a little then it should be ok.

Ok ill turn it all back on and see how it goes
thanks

Just to be sure, send some pics of the system. If it is an unvented system
they have numerous safety features to stop it going 'BANG' and taking out half
of your house. Get an unvented eng in to check it, a service doesnt cost that
much and youll sleep a lot better, its not worth the risk, let us know what
happens!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Refiling megaflow cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock