Search the forum,

Discuss Reducing 22mm pipe to 15mm in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

GC2

Hi,

We've recently had a pressurised hot water cylinder installed. When we use the kitchen tap it's quite a long run so the hot water takes a long time to run hot. I could fairly easily reduce about 7 metres of 22mm pipe down to 15mm (it already reduces to 15mm upstairs anyway before dropping down to the ground floor). Would you recommend this?

Thanks

7 metres of 22mm pipework is only around 2.1 litres. Reducing to 15mm will roughly halve that volume.

Is it going to be a lot of effort to do?

1. If you already have some 15 mm in the run, replacing 22 with further 15 won't make any difference to flow.
2. Also, with only 7 metres to play with, it's not going to make a huge difference to the hot water wait.
3. If you could use the difference in diameter to install better insulation, that would make some difference as well, depending on frequency of use.
4. The only genuine (but expensive) solution would be to install a secondary circulation system.

1. If you already have some 15 mm in the run, replacing 22 with further 15 won't make any difference to flow.
2. Also, with only 7 metres to play with, it's not going to make a huge difference to the hot water wait.
3. If you could use the difference in diameter to install better insulation, that would make some difference as well, depending on frequency of use.
4. The only genuine (but expensive) solution would be to install a secondary circulation system.
Thanks for the replies. Hmm not sure if it's worth it but it would be easy to do.
I could insulate a fair bit of the run but the hot tap is not used all that often; I tend to fill a basin 2 or 3 times a day. So again not sure if that's worth it. I looked at installing a secondary return pump but access in the kitchen is extremely tricky so lagging it fully would be difficult/impossible. Should I just put up with it and accept the waste of energy/water?

Hi,

We've recently had a pressurised hot water cylinder installed. When we use the kitchen tap it's quite a long run so the hot water takes a long time to run hot. I could fairly easily reduce about 7 metres of 22mm pipe down to 15mm (it already reduces to 15mm upstairs anyway before dropping down to the ground floor). Would you recommend this?

Thanks
Easier to add a secondary return

This happens to everyone, its what it is. Water in pipe goes cold, cold water is pushed out ahead of hot water..its not rocket science is it!. So you can have a source of hot water right next to the sink so heating on demand. Costs around £150. Next option is to move the slug (is that a plumbing term?) of cold water around the pipes so it goes back into the tank and is replaced by hot water. Same process applies but this time you preempt the demand and have as mentioned before, re-circulation. This re circulation can be either a dedicated pipe from the furthest outlet back to the tank/boiler OR you can have a bypass valve fitted at the furthest outlet. Here is a video example. Forget the brand names, many do this.

if everyone has already said that 15-22 will make no difference, how will 10mm make any difference?
Good question. I suppose we are assuming there is other pipework other than the 7m of 22 that needs to be purged when you open your kitchen tap. If 7m is the total length of run from the cylinder to the tap, then you're "only" wasting 2l of hot water per time with 22, and 1l with 15. 10mm will probably save 50% compared with 15mm, but it's diminishing returns.

The secondary return idea would save water, but would of course waste more heat.

The other thing you can do if you are genuinely considering the environment (and ongoing costs?) is fully reconsider your pipe runs from the cylinder onwards and how your taps are used. What I did in my own house was run a dedicated 22mm run (had to be 22mm to get enough flow as not a mains pressure system) to the bath tap (as only used once a week) and a separate 15mm run to the washbasin (used several times a day) and continue the 15mm to the kitchen sink. This way, the kitchen tap only had a small deadleg from the bathroom washbasin pipe (which was almost in constant use) onwards.

Out of interest, what's the litres per minute from your hot kitchen tap and how long are you having to wait for hot water?

Good question. I suppose we are assuming there is other pipework other than the 7m of 22 that needs to be purged when you open your kitchen tap. If 7m is the total length of run from the cylinder to the tap, then you're "only" wasting 2l of hot water per time with 22, and 1l with 15. 10mm will probably save 50% compared with 15mm, but it's diminishing returns.

The secondary return idea would save water, but would of course waste more heat.

The other thing you can do if you are genuinely considering the environment (and ongoing costs?) is fully reconsider your pipe runs from the cylinder onwards and how your taps are used. What I did in my own house was run a dedicated 22mm run (had to be 22mm to get enough flow as not a mains pressure system) to the bath tap (as only used once a week) and a separate 15mm run to the washbasin (used several times a day) and continue the 15mm to the kitchen sink. This way, the kitchen tap only had a small deadleg from the bathroom washbasin pipe (which was almost in constant use) onwards.

Out of interest, what's the litres per minute from your hot kitchen tap and how long are you having to wait for hot water?
flow rate from the tap of say 12l/m and 2l water in the pipe (your claim) then that means water comes out at 200ml/second. So it would take 2/.2 = 10 seconds to run hot. I would have though that is not a long wait.

flow rate from the tap of say 12l/m and 2l water in the pipe (your claim) then that means water comes out at 200ml/second. So it would take 2/.2 = 10 seconds to run hot. I would have though that is not a long wait.
But, in practice, some kitchen taps do NOT have a high flow rate, particularly mixers. Hence asking the question.

Thanks again for all the replies. I've used the tap today so difficult to test at the moment. Flow rate is 18l/m and I would guess about 25-30 seconds to get hot. It's more the waste of water I'm bothered about so the 10mm dedicated run appeals. It could bypass a bathroom currently on the same run that is fed with 22mm. and take a shorter route to the kitchen and feed a downstairs toilet basin on its way

Thanks again for all the replies. I've used the tap today so difficult to test at the moment. Flow rate is 18l/m and I would guess about 25-30 seconds to get hot. It's more the waste of water I'm bothered about so the 10mm dedicated run appeals. It could bypass a bathroom currently on the same run that is fed with 22mm. and take a shorter route to the kitchen and feed a downstairs toilet basin on its way
Ah yes. That does change things. Throwing out 7.5-9l does indeed feel wasteful, and it's annoying to have to pour away water for 30 seconds!

You'd then be bypassing far more than the 7m of pipe then, I take it.

Ah yes. That does change things. Throwing out 7.5-9l does indeed feel wasteful, and it's annoying to have to pour away water for 30 seconds!

You'd then be bypassing far more than the 7m of pipe then, I take it.
Yes there is about 7 or 8m of 22mm feeding the bathroom before it reduces down to 15mm and tees down to the downstairs toilet and kitchen. Annoyingly it reduces to 15mm before the bath anyway but the flowrate is fine

Yes there is about 7 or 8m of 22mm feeding the bathroom before it reduces down to 15mm and tees down to the downstairs toilet and kitchen. Annoyingly it reduces to 15mm before the bath anyway but the flowrate is fine
22mm should be fine for a bath now you are mains pressure. 22mm was probably used when it was a low pressure system.

In any case, even when installed that probably wasn't strictly wrong: a short section of smaller bore pipe does not have the same effect as the entire length being in a smaller bore. Long story, but take my word for it :)

Reply to Reducing 22mm pipe to 15mm in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock