Search the forum,

Discuss Redshark1 joined to understand water heaters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi I have a small semi-detached and it is heated with a Baxi Baroque in the lounge (nice and hot) and a Baxi Brazillia on the staircase (OK, just takes the chill off).

My water is heated by a Main multipoint gas water heater which has worked superbly. It is probably over ten years old and is now giving me trouble. Everybody who I have asked to service my appliances (every two years) has looked at this and said it needs no maintenance at all but just before Christmas it has blown off its bottom water pipe despite it having a safety device to prevent this.

I have a decent gas man recommended by a friend so I should be OK. He came and refitted the pipe so I have water. The flame was not dying down hence the blown pipe but is doing so now. There is a slight leak and lots of limescale build-up and maybe an O-ring and diaphragm to replace. The temperature of the water is not sufficiently hot now.

The gas man is prepared to come back. Not sure what I should be asking the gas man to do for me but I can afford a new unit. He has said he is prepared to attempt a repair which is encouraging.

I was thinking that a new combi boiler and central heating radiators might be the way to go but my wife thinks we are OK as we are despite her feeling the cold more than me. We are in our mid-fifties both working full-time with low income.

I hope this is interesting and look forward to any thoughts on what I can do thanks.

Reply to Redshark1 joined to understand water heaters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have a tank Bradford White 50 gallon gas hot water heater for a 1700 sq ft home with 2 1/2 baths, HOWEVER, I am only one person living there. It was installed in March of 2015 so it is 8 years old. I believe life expectancy for a typical hot water heater is around 10 - 12 years so I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
Hello. My home's Rheem water heater is dripping from the drain valve. It is strange as it seems to sometimes spit out some water and then stop and then occurs again. I have a little plastic bucket to collect the water, probably about 3 cups of water in a 24 hour period. I was doing some...
Replies
Views
E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my house, in place of the garage, most would give me a suggestion to put in a) an extension to the existing boiler rad circuit & electric water heaters...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock